Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:18 AM   #26
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Couldn't find another female so I picked up another male, about half the size of the one I already had. I will try to pair them once the new one is done with QT.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 05:05 PM   #27
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Couldn't find another female so I picked up another male, about half the size of the one I already had. I will try to pair them once the new one is done with QT.

Nice! any pics of the new male?

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 07:07 PM   #28
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

What do you find attractive about gold bars?
I find myself partial to PNG, SI clowns and thus I’d always pick white bar maroons or Lightning maroons if I’m not keeping percula.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 03:14 AM   #29
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Nice! any pics of the new male?
Best picture I could take so far...

This guy is tiny. I chose to go with a smaller male because the surviving male of the initial pair had already darkened a lot and started to have the coloration of a female. Plus, large females seem to be in short supply at the moment.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 08/15/2019, 03:35 AM   #30
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
What do you find attractive about gold bars?
I find myself partial to PNG, SI clowns and thus I’d always pick white bar maroons or Lightning maroons if I’m not keeping percula.
For once, they have wider bars that are less likely to fade away quickly.
And then, gold bars are less aggressive towards other fish.
Finally, they are a different species (Amphiprion epigrammata) even if not officially recognized and not in the correct genus at the moment (all genetic studies have shown that they clearly belong with Amphiprion.)

As for Lightning Maroons, there have been only 2 wild-caught specimens collected at PNG. So you can only get captive-bred which are rarely free of deformities. And even if free of deformities, unless they would come straight from Matt Peterson I wouldn't touch any Lightnings as they may have been crossed with Maroons from different localities (= potentially different species).

Unread 08/15/2019, 03:54 PM   #31
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Is the new male wild caught? If your ever in the Southern California area an LFS I go to frequently always has a good selection of GSM maroons, ranging from small to large. My female was red when I first got her, but has darkened up considerably in the two months that I have had her so far.

Last edited by ocellaris123; 08/15/2019 at 04:06 PM.
Unread 08/15/2019, 09:07 PM   #32
OrionN
Moved on

My LFS have two gold bar maroons WC. I am thinking of getting them and pair them up. I like the color of Gold bar better than white.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 09:09 PM   #33
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
My LFS have two gold bar maroons WC. I am thinking of getting them and pair them up. I like the color of Gold bar better than white.
I agree about gold bar being prettier than white bar

Here are my pair

Female has turned darker a few months later, The male darkened a bit also

Unread 08/16/2019, 08:53 PM   #34
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I will try, but not necessarily BTAs.
I've seen a study that indicates that they also accept H. magnifica as a host.
Quote:
I could have sworn I have seen a picture pair of wild white stripe maroons hosting in a ritteri.
Damselfishes & Anemonefishes Scott W. Michael pp234-235 "Prmnas biaculeatus, Spinecheek Anemonefish: Unusual occurrence of what appears to be two large females nesting among the tentacles of Heteractis magnifica, the Magnificent Sea Anemone in Lembeh Strait, Indonesia."

IMO, the anemone in the photo on page 235 hosting the two white stripe maroons looks like Entacmaea quadricolor.

"Introduction
The maroon clown Premnas biaculeatus, the sole
member in genus Premnas is commonly known as spine-
cheek anemone fish. Adult fishes have golden yellow bands
and all young ones possess white bands. Males are smaller
and brighter red than females with brilliant white stripes.
This reef fish is in high demand in the marine ornamental
fish trade due to their most striking colouration, and
proclivity to live in association with tentacle anemone
Heteractis magnifica and bulb tipped or purple base sea
anemone Entacmaea quadricolor (Allen, 1972, 1980).
In India, this species is available only in the coral reef
ecosystem of Andaman and Nicobar islands (Talwar, 1990;
Madhu and Madhu, 2000). "

Old source, I don't find the above credible information, not WRT H. magnifica hosting Premnas biaculeatus in the wild.

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 11:01 PM   #35
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

To me it’s not a matter of one having “better colors” than the other. It’s a region thing. I don’t think white bars are “prettier”. It’s about what I associate with what comes from that region. PNG and SI have always had crazy and rare aberrant percula and Maroon clowns; you can add Leucokranos to that list too. That’s why I would pick a white bar maroon. Gold bars to me are about equal in looks as white bars.
The monster pair I had, acquired from Aquatic Collection in Hayward.
I sent the pair to a friend but transit ended up taking 10 days due to currier mistake. They died, unfortunately.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 08/16/2019 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 08/16/2019, 11:53 PM   #36
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I also believe the Maroon clown shown below is a hybrid clown. Picture taken at a fish store in Sacramento area.

Unread 08/17/2019, 06:52 PM   #37
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:
I could have sworn I have seen a picture pair of wild white stripe maroons hosting in a ritteri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc price View Post
Damselfishes & Anemonefishes Scott W. Michael pp234-235 "Prmnas biaculeatus, Spinecheek Anemonefish: Unusual occurrence of what appears to be two large females nesting among the tentacles of Heteractis magnifica, the Magnificent Sea Anemone in Lembeh Strait, Indonesia."

IMO, the anemone in the photo on page 235 hosting the two white stripe maroons looks like Entacmaea quadricolor.
For the sake of educating, the following is the photo of the anemone/clownfish in question on p.235 of Scott Michael's book which I think is actually E. quadricolor -

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 08/17/2019, 08:25 PM   #38
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

That’s a BTA. The tentacles on the bottom of the picture make it abundantly clear.

Unread 08/17/2019, 08:48 PM   #39
marc price
Registered Member

^ Yes CoralsAdiction, I couldn't agree more.

Unread 08/17/2019, 11:49 PM   #40
ThRoewer
Registered Member

What they accept as hosts in the wild is one thing and what in captivity another. I would think that they would accept a magnifica if no BTA is present.

Unread 04/29/2020, 08:14 PM   #41
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The original male (now female) finally paired with the smaller one I added:

They are sitting right next to a pair of ocellaris in a magnifica. There had been a little bit of posing on both sides but by now they get along just fine despite the fact that they literally sit on top of each other.

Tags
amphiprion epigrammata