Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2013, 08:22 AM   #76
saltymix
Registered Member

This tank is going to look sweet.

saltymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2013, 10:02 PM   #77
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

I can not wait to see this thing wet and a video of how it all works together.

And heck.. I thought if I got a rubbermaid container it would be just water in and water out. LOL (kidding btw)

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2013, 09:10 AM   #78
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Thanks guy's getting close

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2013, 07:10 PM   #79
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

I assume the flow makes this spin.m how does it work?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 10:42 AM   #80
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
I assume the flow makes this spin.m how does it work?
Yes the sump return flow makes it spin......Inside the bulkhead that is above the tee has a custom machined part that allows it to spin with no friction, noise, or wear to the part. You can adjust the speed of spin and also the flow by turning the nipples on each side of tee up or down. Up make it spin faster while down slows the spin. It sits just under surface water and ripples surface as it spins while sending a vortex flow downward......in a nut shell...lol

I will get a video asap

Unread 07/04/2013, 03:57 PM   #81
drej424
Registered Member

Hi, Aquatron,

I'm just wondering how things are going? I'm really enjoying following along!

Regards,
Denise

drej424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 05:27 PM   #82
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Hello drej424,
Well for the last month and half on weekends I have been building a addition for a friend. With my build I am kind of on a thinking/planning mode(part of process).....Aquascape Hope to start it by months end, I have some cool structure design's to go along with my foam wall build. Thanks for asking How is your guy's planning coming along?

Unread 07/08/2013, 12:21 AM   #83
msderganc
Registered Member

Hi Aquatron,

Amazing build. I have one question for you: how do you decide to use gate or ball valves? Everything I've read suggests just using ball valves.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2013, 11:22 AM   #84
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Hello msderganc,
Thank you for stopping by If you need to use a valve gate valves are a better way to go since they allow for better adjustments. I get mine at OSH supply for around $ 8 to $ 20.00 depending on size I need they have from 1/2" to 2" fyi. Ball valves work just not as well as gate valves in the long run. I do use some single union ball valves from Lowes and some double union ball valves from there also when it is needed with what I am plumbing. My first choice would always be to use a gate valve when I can

Unread 07/08/2013, 01:12 PM   #85
dave.m
Registered Member

Another way to think about them is that a ball valve is best for simple on/off functions, whereas a gate valve is better for partial opening and fine tuning of flow. The gate valve, as Aquatron notes, is more versatile.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2013, 01:13 PM   #86
msderganc
Registered Member

Thanks, those were my thoughts too, but multiple people have told me to use ball valves. I was wondering if I was missing something.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2013, 01:57 PM   #87
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

+1 what Dave said")

Unread 07/08/2013, 09:24 PM   #88
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

I pick up some 9 watt refugium ATS stand lights they are 3-3watt Bridgelux and is only 2" x 2" wide. They were perfect for what I needed since they are going between two pipes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reef Build 474.jpg (43.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Reef Build 475.jpg (35.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Reef Build 478.jpg (38.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Refugium small LEDs 2.jpg (27.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Refugium small LEDs.jpg (37.8 KB, 76 views)
Unread 07/26/2013, 10:01 AM   #89
Crazy35111
Registered Member

I have been looking over your thread and love your idea of a central sump for all reactors/filters. I am starting my build of a 600g tank and have already purchased 2 of the 100g rubbermaid stock tanks for filtration. I though I could use one as a central sump for my reactors/filters/skimmer and the other filled with live rock. Can you maybe mark up one of your pics of the sump with what each line goes to in that sump?

Crazy35111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2013, 05:51 PM   #90
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Hello Crazy35111,
Thanks for stopping by! Its easy four of the gate valves are 3/4" and go to four large reactors. Four gate valves are 1/2" and go to smaller reactors using the four different colors as the guide. Red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to blue, and black to black. It is kind of hard to see since I am still building and putting together but once finished everything is color coded so by looking you can see the different paths of everything by following the color. One side of my close loop is green and so everything green goes to that part of the close loop and so on

Reactors......red, yellow, dark blue, and black
Close loop.......green, light blue
Main return......Laker Purple
Main drain lines.......Orange
Close loop air injection drain lines.......yellow(but will be changing this color to one not used above)

Hope that helps

Unread 07/26/2013, 09:19 PM   #91
canyousee
Registered Member

I'm enjoying this this thread a great deal. Thank you for all the pictures and your reasoning behind the features. Also thanks for being open to questions:1) I have not seen an aquarium like yours but on Truvu's web page it says it has a internal chamber ( I guess they are designed to be a closed system,no need for a external sump) will you be using this chamber for anything other than holding water,if so what:2) It appears this system is all on one wall in the house ( DT with the sump next to it and the Skimmer bench behind the sump) is this correct? If so how long is the wall because the tank is 8 feet long and it looks like the bench is at least that long.:3) What went wrong with the Blowhole pumps,I liked how the were true pass through ( out and in connectors at the same height).
Really like the color coding idea for each part of the system should help a great deal with trouble shooting and making adjustments. Thanks Mike

Current Tank Info: 125 g mixed reef with sump
canyousee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 10:23 AM   #92
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyousee View Post
I'm enjoying this this thread a great deal. Thank you for all the pictures and your reasoning behind the features. Also thanks for being open to questions:1) I have not seen an aquarium like yours but on Truvu's web page it says it has a internal chamber ( I guess they are designed to be a closed system,no need for a external sump) will you be using this chamber for anything other than holding water,if so what:2) It appears this system is all on one wall in the house ( DT with the sump next to it and the Skimmer bench behind the sump) is this correct? If so how long is the wall because the tank is 8 feet long and it looks like the bench is at least that long.:3) What went wrong with the Blowhole pumps,I liked how the were true pass through ( out and in connectors at the same height).
Really like the color coding idea for each part of the system should help a great deal with trouble shooting and making adjustments. Thanks Mike
Hi canyousee,
Yes my tank has a 30 gallon sump built into the back I am using as a pre sump. I have four different overflows going into it then it drains into reactor sump through two 1 1/2" lines. My total build covers about 24' of wall space giving me good access to everything. I ordered the pumps knowing they would be running on low speed at night but Reeflo has had some problems with those pumps locking up when on low speed. I couldn't/didn't want to take that chance so Beth at Reeflo allowed me to send them back. Reeflo is a really good company and will get the bugs worked out
Thank you for the kind words!!!

Unread 07/27/2013, 08:22 PM   #93
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

15 watt ats led

Been trying different bulb combo's....ATS Pump Stands
5 x 3 watt 3 red 2 blue.......also 5 red.....lens is size .50 cent piece.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fwb2.jpg (1.2 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg 15 watt bulb.jpg (1.2 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg 15 w b.jpg (1.5 KB, 678 views)
Unread 07/28/2013, 07:40 AM   #94
canyousee
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Has you said and I agree with the trail is often better than the campsite. So please keep the posts coming has you build the system...

Current Tank Info: 125 g mixed reef with sump
canyousee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2013, 01:14 PM   #95
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyousee View Post
Thanks for the reply. Has you said and I agree with the trail is often better than the campsite. So please keep the posts coming has you build the system...
Yes this has been enjoyable for me in many ways, a lot of research, and learning from forums like RC. Doing detail stuff now so the build gets better and better now that I get to see so many thoughts finished.

Unread 07/28/2013, 02:00 PM   #96
DrAsTiC
Registered Member

I love the color coding :-) I will do the same thing when I start my new build.

DrAsTiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2013, 04:32 PM   #97
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Thank you its a little extra work but once finished you will be happy you did!

Unread 07/29/2013, 03:29 PM   #98
Crazy35111
Registered Member

Wondering if you have an internet supplier or local supplier for all your plumbing needs? Was thinking with the quantity you are using might have a bulk discount. Also where do you get your air control valves that are on top of some of your pipes?

Crazy35111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 05:41 PM   #99
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy35111 View Post
Wondering if you have an internet supplier or local supplier for all your plumbing needs? Was thinking with the quantity you are using might have a bulk discount. Also where do you get your air control valves that are on top of some of your pipes?
Hey Crazy thanks for stopping by
One of the main company's I buy from is flexpvc.com but I have ordered from China, England, Australia, and bits a pieces from all over. I have spent a lot of time finding the parts I can and building the ones I can't. I have bought many small items off eBay, Life Reef, and Freckle Face just to name a few places. I get discounts when I can but most of my build is custom made so most things take parts from several places
My air control valves come from a few places like eBay UNDER aquarium air pumps, air hose, and air stones is one of them.

Unread 07/29/2013, 10:40 PM   #100
sandyland
Registered Member

Love your dedication to your plumbing.
Very elaborate, looks awesome.
Do you have an opinion on OM 4 way valves? I was thinking they would work out great for your multiple returns.

sandyland is offline   Reply With Quote