Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2016, 02:45 PM   #1
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Is water change really necessary with aquaforest

hi,

Well am planning for a full blown Aquaforest line for my new reef tank with Zeomix, carbon, phos minus, NP Pro and Pro Bio S, Component 1,23 and elements A,B,V and E .

As I understand, between the skimmer and zeomix, carbon, phos minus , NP Pro and Pro Bio S , the filtration part of reducing nitrates and phosphates are taken care of.
Component 1,2,3 are supposed to provide trace and all major/minor elements.

If so, do we really need water change or like triton, aquaforest tanks can go without water change . Once ICP testing is available, may be testing the water once in 3-4 months should be good enough .

Why do we even need water change if above is true? Personally I would like to keep things as stable as possible without regular water changes and replenish only lost elements.

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 03:11 PM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
hi,

Well am planning for a full blown Aquaforest line for my new reef tank with Zeomix, carbon, phos minus, NP Pro and Pro Bio S, Component 1,23 and elements A,B,V and E .

As I understand, between the skimmer and zeomix, carbon, phos minus , NP Pro and Pro Bio S , the filtration part of reducing nitrates and phosphates are taken care of.
Component 1,2,3 are supposed to provide trace and all major/minor elements.

If so, do we really need water change or like triton, aquaforest tanks can go without water change . Once ICP testing is available, may be testing the water once in 3-4 months should be good enough .

Why do we even need water change if above is true? Personally I would like to keep things as stable as possible without regular water changes and replenish only lost elements.

Regards,
Abhishek

Hello Abhishek,
Water changes with Probiotic Reef Salt, made weekly or bi-weekly will refresh bacteria, as well as the aminos and vitamins. While dosing daily also refreshes them, the different strains help to keep more diverse strains of bacteria. That said, it is not absolute, many users go several weeks without water changes without any adverse effects. Another thing to consider when using the Component 123 system is that Reef Mineral Salt is dosed in the Component 3, which will slowly grow your total salinity over time, I prefer to compensate with water changes mixed at a lower salinity than I maintain my reef, this helps to keep optimal levels. Of course, you could always remove some saltwater weekly and replace with RODI from your top-off as well. I like how the corals respond to water changes, they actually maintain polyp extension and seem to extend for the food sources in the salt. There of course are no absolutes, just observations and tests to guide us.
Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Hudds
Registered Member

Aren't the mineral salts contained in component 3 working towards ions balancing?

Thalassographia Reef
Hudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Component 3+ does not replaces water changes.
Is important to make WC to remove nitrates and phosphates and other pollutions from tank.
If you don't want to make weekly you can do that bi-weekly but Aquaforest recommend to make water changes.

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 02:34 AM   #5
Hudds
Registered Member

Assuming you manage export of nutrients (activated carbon / phosphate minus / zeo mix / probiotic / skimming) and detritus (mechanical filtration), you are ulrs, you add coral foods (AVBE) and you supply trace elements through comp 1 & 2, what is the function of comp.3 and what else water changes offer to an AF system?

Thalassographia Reef
Hudds is offline   Reply With Quote