Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Smile Do I need a RO water system?

Hi Reef Central. I live in rural Northern Ontario, Canada and reverse osmosis systems are scarce in stores. However I rely on a well water system with a water softener. I can however get water directly from the well. From what i tested my well PH is 7.9, i tested 0 on nitrates, nitrites, ammonia or copper, Only a miniscule ammount of iron and a little tiny ammount of calcium (the calcium i know because we rarely get clogged shower heads). The only thing i have yet to test is the phosphate.

I know that everyone will say that its always best to be safe than sorry and go ahead and buy one anyways. But with these systems being so expensive around here. I would rather only get one if absolutely needed.

Also, are there any other tests i should make before I go ahead and make a stupid decision.

Another thing is that nobody sells RO water for more than 100 kilometers and i really cant afford to buy distilled water for every water change.

Joseph_Piquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_Piquette View Post
Hi Reef Central. I live in rural Northern Ontario, Canada and reverse osmosis systems are scarce in stores. However I rely on a well water system with a water softener. I can however get water directly from the well. From what i tested my well PH is 7.9, i tested 0 on nitrates, nitrites, ammonia or copper, Only a miniscule ammount of iron and a little tiny ammount of calcium (the calcium i know because we rarely get clogged shower heads). The only thing i have yet to test is the phosphate.

I know that everyone will say that its always best to be safe than sorry and go ahead and buy one anyways. But with these systems being so expensive around here. I would rather only get one if absolutely needed.

Also, are there any other tests i should make before I go ahead and make a stupid decision.

Another thing is that nobody sells RO water for more than 100 kilometers and i really cant afford to buy distilled water for every water change.
RODI system is always best but there are people here ( myself included) who just use conditioned tap water.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

TDS test. That's how far from zero minerals your wellwater is. RO/DI water is zero. You can get an inexpensive TDS meter.
Another possibility is to buy ro water at the supermarket, if one offers it. But always test the TDS: you never know when they need to change their filter.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Where in North Ontario Canada,are you north of Sudbury? ... I recommend getting your water tested,for the usual drinking water test.I was watching a program that said there are bacteria,that do not die with Chlorine treatments.Then,you can make an educated decision.Your water would be fine if you live near a glacier.Your water could always improve in quality with at least and R/o unit.You can buy one online for $250..CDN.

....If anyone remembers an epidemic where you had to boil water,before you drank it,boiling kills what chlorine cannot.I assume if you have an UV on your drinking water,you are covered.I have a cistern,and I run my drinking water through a sterilizer,and R/O.I have a separate RODI for my aquarium water that also gets Zappped by UV before it goes in the DT.

Last edited by Sounds Fishy; 08/10/2017 at 03:51 PM.
Sounds Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Build a big still, And DIY. Distill it Yourself. Make a little moonshine on the side, Just watch out for them darn revenuers lol.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Cheapreef
Registered Member

You really need to test your water (TDS) if it's high at all you should do yourself a favor and buy the RODI unit. I wouldn't run another tank without one.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Alright, im going to get that TDS thing you all talk about. From what i can tell the testing device is available at canadian tire for cheap enough. If that determines wether i need RODI then it's well worth it.

And i live to the east of Sudbury, small town around an hour from there. Ive not heard of any bacterial issues around my area. My house does however run with a UV sterilizer just in case.

Unread 08/10/2017, 05:14 PM   #8
thegrun
Registered Member

Honestly I would not risk not using RO/DI water. if nothing else you will always be wondering whenever a problem arises if the water is to blame. You mentioned iron, nothing grows algae faster than iron.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_Piquette View Post
Alright, im going to get that TDS thing you all talk about. From what i can tell the testing device is available at canadian tire for cheap enough. If that determines wether i need RODI then it's well worth it.
I would be really surprised if a tire store would have the correct TDS meter. You can get one from Amazon for around $10 US if you can order from Amazon in Canada.
Ideally you want water to read zero Total Dissolved Solids and you can get that with RO/DI. RO alone won't get it without the DI filter.

Gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Either way i can get ahold of it cheap
I might end up just getting a RODI system anyways from what i can tell from everyone's response.

Unread 08/10/2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
I would be really surprised if a tire store would have the correct TDS meter. You can get one from Amazon for around $10 US if you can order from Amazon in Canada.
Ideally you want water to read zero Total Dissolved Solids and you can get that with RO/DI. RO alone won't get it without the DI filter.
LOL it's not a tire store really, more of a Harware/tire/auto parts/pool etc store. It has the right TDS meter.
And yes we even have our own Amazon.ca LOL

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 03:46 AM   #12
Octoo
Registered Member

Can destilled water be used too?

Octoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Gladmaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoo View Post
Can destilled water be used too?
There are many that use distilled water, but it can get expensive and is a hassle if you use a lot. RO will pay for itself before long instead of buying water. One thing to consider though, if you're on a well, is the amount of waste water generated. Do research on RO before deciding which way to go. There is the option of 50 gal/day, 75 gpd or 100 gpd. I have the 75 gpd and am happy with it. Takes me about an hour to get 5 gallons. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with an auto shutoff so it doesn't run over if I forget it. I'm on a septic tank and didn't want that much waste water to go into it.
My laundry is on a separate tank so I run the waste into my washer. When it gets filled, I then run it down the drain from the laundry.

Gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Octoo
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

The thing with destilled water is that i've read some people who had bad experiences with it, mainly with algae.

I hate the idea of wasting so much water with RO/DI system, but if i'm buying the water here i'll have to pay something like 212 USD to fill a 80 gallon tank and start cycling.

Unread 08/11/2017, 01:44 PM   #15
hkgar
Registered Member

Because you are on a well you will very likely have a high CO2 level in the water and will burn through DI resin unless you degass the well water. I degass after it goes through the RO because that requires high pressure.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2330368

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 04:31 PM   #16
kaz1961
Registered Member

These guys are located in Canada:

http://www.maxwaterflow.com/REVERSE-...STEMS_c_2.html

I have been using one of their units for a couple of years with good results.

kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 05:30 PM   #17
dentnshell
Registered Member

Even if you have great water, I would still get an RO/DI system. The best part is that your filters will last even longer as you water is already clean.

There is not a single other piece of equipment in this hobby more important that clean water!!!! You can spend thousands on all of the other great equipment now available in this hobby... But at the heart of it you still need clean water to be successful. Even if you are going to to a FOWLR , I would start with clean water.

Current Tank Info: DSA rimless 105
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 06:02 PM   #18
Octoo
Registered Member

I think destilled water is out of question and buying RO water is too expensive for me.

The only option i have is to buy a RO/DI system.

Unread 08/11/2017, 09:22 PM   #19
lfitoon
Registered Member

Choose UV RO system.

Prepurchase Pest Report Albury Wodonga

lfitoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 11:27 PM   #20
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatic-Changi...ds=rodi+system

I have a similar 5 stage system. $86 free shipping, Canada

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 08:22 AM   #21
PatW
Registered Member

If your water is good, you can probably get by with tap water and frequent water changes especially if you go fish only or soft corals.

If you have a large system or want to have sps corals, you should get an RODI system.

There are a number of venders who sell RODI systems online: bulk Reef Supply, spectrapure, buckeye Supply etc (I hope I got the names right).

If your water is good with few impurities, an RODI system will not have to work hard and should be cheap to run.

I have a 6 stage BRS system. It has a sediment filter, a 5 micron carbon filter, a .5 micron carbon filter. The sediment filter removes particulates, the carbon blocks remove chlorine not a big deal in a well based source. These filters are cheap so I figure the more the merrier. The next stage. Is the RO membrane. It removes about 99 percent of the TDS. My water is about 150 tds and it comes out at 2. The DI resin is the last stage. It absorbs the remaining stuff yielding 0 tds water. I run two in a row. Resin isn't cheap. I can fully deplete a canister and then repack it. I don't waste resin by discarding a 90 percent depleted canister to be sure I have 0 tds.

If you water is about 50 tds, you could even just run the prefilters and RO membrane if you wanted to be cheap. Also since you have a water softener most of your tds is probably NaCl which is benign.

As for testing, you could go to a local reef aquarium store and have them test your water for phosphates, nitrates, and tds for a minor fee. Getting your well water tested by a water testing service is a good idea.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, water chemistry, well water