Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/10/2019, 12:09 AM   #1
kartrsu
Registered Member

Half bleached torch coral

Hey everyone! I was wondering if I could get some advice from some reef experts here. I bought a Australian torch coral frag about 4 months ago which I ended up half bleaching when I capped my tank with acrylic while on vacation to help with evaporation. Itís stayed half bleached for several months but is still alive and the tentacles expand nicely when the lights are on. Iím just starting to notice that some of the tentacles are showing some pigmentation returning. My question is what can I do to help expedite the recovery. I have tried feeding with mysis and brine shrimp but my cleaner shrimps just steal the food from the coral which I think must create stress since itís getting poked at in the process. I was reading online that maybe zooplankton might also be an option and my shrimps wonít be able to feed on it. Will the torch benefit from feeding zooplankton?

Tank parameters are dialed in. 35 ppt, 0 ammonia, about 5 ppm nitrate, no trace of phosphate (although using salifert test kit so low end not clear), mg at 1300, kh at 8, calcium at 400ish, temp at 77.5 (next step up on therm raises temp to 79.5).

Coral is now in a par 50-75ish area. Donít want to blast it with more light, but I might be wrong on that.

Any help on best recovery method would be great. I can put in a quarantine and feed it silly if that is the best option, though the lighting will be different and less strong.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kartrsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2019, 04:56 PM   #2
lionfish300
Registered Member

I would just leave it be. I never feed my torch or hammer and they grown wait too big over the years to the point I have to break them to move to different part of the reef because they were up again the front glass

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote