Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Should I buy this tank??? Aiptasa issue

So my LFS has this used system up for sale, It's a Red Sea 250. Fully stocked with some corals, live rock and fish. They're asking $500 for it and that seems like a great deal but looking in it I see a decent amount of Aiptasa. I know they are a scourge to get rid of but should that keep me away from snapping this up? What would you all do?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0592.jpg (98.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0591.jpg (53.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0590.jpg (60.6 KB, 71 views)
Desertoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 08:01 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Aiptasia are a relatively simple problem to solve..A matted filefish added to the tank temporarily could handle it.

Unread 02/19/2019, 08:12 PM   #3
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Even if you start over completely with the tank and bleach the rock, give the corals away, $500 for the tank and stand is a pretty good deal. They retail for over $1300. What all does this come with?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 08:54 PM   #4
FireViper
Registered Member

Seems like a bargain. Transportation might be a bit tricky, though. . . .

FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 08:59 PM   #5
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireViper View Post
Seems like a bargain. Transportation might be a bit tricky, though. . . .
That’s another consideration I had. They said they’d deliver and set it up for like $150. It’s only maybe 5 miles from my house.

Unread 02/19/2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

If you have it, spend the $150. Heck I spent half that to deliver a 90 gallon and stand without setup. And the only reason it was that cheap is because they only had one guy available and I helped carry it in. LFS is a half mile from my house. I have done the whole break down a system, move it and set it back up. It’s not fun. These guys are professionals plus you won’t have to buy buckets and tubs for the rock and water etc.

Unread 02/19/2019, 10:06 PM   #7
FireViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
If you have it, spend the $150. Heck I spent half that to deliver a 90 gallon and stand without setup. And the only reason it was that cheap is because they only had one guy available and I helped carry it in. LFS is a half mile from my house. I have done the whole break down a system, move it and set it back up. It’s not fun. These guys are professionals plus you won’t have to buy buckets and tubs for the rock and water etc.
Exactly. Water drained out of the back of our car for several days after we brought a mere 55 gallons home when we set up our first (and only) tank. And I thought I had the tubs pretty well sealed. . . .

FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 10:12 PM   #8
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Quote:
Even if you start over completely with the tank and bleach the rock, give the corals away, $500 for the tank and stand is a pretty good deal. They retail for over $1300. What all does this come with?
Obviously all the stuff it originally came but in terms of livestock I’d have to go back and make a list. Probably about 10 corals and anemones, the liverock and 15-20 fish of various types.

Unread 02/19/2019, 10:45 PM   #9
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Aiptasia are a relatively simple problem to solve..A matted filefish added to the tank temporarily could handle it.

This. Everyone will get aptasia one way or another. Just keep it in check and you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Desertoasis
Registered Member

So I figured out what’s in it: 50 lbs live rock, 2 korallia wave pumps, deltec skimmer, 8 fish 3 bubble anemones, leather corals , mushrooms and blue xenia. 6 LED bulbs 8 months old. Good deal??

Unread 02/20/2019, 06:30 PM   #11
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

As long as there isn’t anything wrong with the tank like a bunch of scratches or chips, yes. At $5 a pound for live rock that’s $250 right there. Like I said earlier too the tank retails for over $1300

Unread 02/20/2019, 06:43 PM   #12
outssider
Registered Member

check the light again. I believe that tank comes with 6 t5'S...

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 06:49 PM   #13
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Quote:
As long as there isn’t anything wrong with the tank like a bunch of scratches or chips, yes. At $5 a pound for live rock that’s $250 right there. Like I said earlier too the tank retails for over $1300

He said it runs a little hot in the shop but is otherwise done. I live in the desert so in the summer my house is about 80. Should I be concerned? He said his shop where he has it is warmer than most houses.

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:13 PM   #14
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertoasis View Post
He said it runs a little hot in the shop but is otherwise done. I live in the desert so in the summer my house is about 80. Should I be concerned? He said his shop where he has it is warmer than most houses.
Living in a warm desert climate it is expected. Reef tanks are generally kept around 78-79 so that’s not too bad. It’s just something you will have to monitor with any tank you get. For a couple of degrees a fan will likely suffice for cooling but if it is real bad you can buy a chiller. You can slowly upgrade the pumps and lights if you want to cooler running models.

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Quote:
Living in a warm desert climate it is expected. Reef tanks are generally kept around 78-79 so that’s not too bad. It’s just something you will have to monitor with any tank you get. For a couple of degrees a fan will likely suffice for cooling but if it is real bad you can buy a chiller. You can slowly upgrade the pumps and lights if you want to cooler running models.

Thank you so much for all your help! Does anyone think the light is really blue on it from that pic? He says there are two white and four blue led’s. Is that normal?

Unread 02/20/2019, 10:01 PM   #16
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

It’s normal. The blue lights is what makes the corals healthy and more colorful. There are different bulb combinations you can go for but white light is usually much lower than blues. I attached a screenshot of a point on my radion schedule so you can see percentages since I haven’t ran t-5s in a few years and don’t really remember my old bulb combinations.

Also, blue lights completely drown out the whites in pictures. You need a filter to take a pic with the blues on to make the picture look like what your eyes can see when you view the tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69DAC24D-F7F0-42D0-8CEA-CDC496FAA280.jpg (33.7 KB, 21 views)

Unread 02/21/2019, 12:14 PM   #17
Desertoasis
Registered Member

Quote:
It’s normal. The blue lights is what makes the corals healthy and more colorful. There are different bulb combinations you can go for but white light is usually much lower than blues. I attached a screenshot of a point on my radion schedule so you can see percentages since I haven’t ran t-5s in a few years and don’t really remember my old bulb combinations.

Also, blue lights completely drown out the whites in pictures. You need a filter to take a pic with the blues on to make the picture look like what your eyes can see when you view the tank.

Would I be better off setting up a new tank vs this one? Getting used makes me a little nervous but I see the value in it.

Unread 02/21/2019, 01:18 PM   #18
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Would I be better off setting up a new tank vs this one? Getting used makes me a little nervous but I see the value in it.
That’s really up to you. If the tank is in bad shape or it would freak you out having used it may be worth it to start from scratch. It just all depends on if it gives you more peace of mind with it being new. You can’t really enjoy it if you are the type to constantly worry that a seam will explode or something.

I have had five different tanks in the past 16-18 years sometimes multiples at once for different reasons. Four of five were used tanks and I never had any issues with them. The one that was new is my current 90 gallon reef and I stopped counting at 5k. Out the door with the tank, stand, sump, MP40, mp10, reeflink, radions, return pump, one new reactor with pump, a new pump for an old reactor I had, sand, heaters and a custom rock wall I was out over 3.5k. I used rock I already had or that would have raised the cost as well. This is not a cheap hobby and I save money where I can, but this was a new tank for a new house so I went a bit more than necessary.

I have honestly seen more posts about new tanks having bad seals than old ones. The reefer series is a very good tank though and I haven’t seen any complaints on them. As long as the seals are still good I personally would pick it up. You can still start from scratch with this tank and you are still saving a good chunk of money. Upgrade whatever you want over time to the specific equipment you want. If you want quieter pumps, go for a quieter one that runs cooler. You would still have a backup if the return failed. Rather have LED’s, upgrade and either sell the t-5, use it as supplemental or keep as a backup in case you drop your fixture in the tank. It happens.

I’m not in the market for another tank at the moment but if I lived near you, I would have bought this two days ago and stored it or set up another one. Again, this has to be your choice though because only you will know if you can live with a used tank.

Unread 02/21/2019, 01:23 PM   #19
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

One last thing, I wouldn’t reuse the sand, especially if they are delivering it because there won’t be time to rinse it properly. Buy new sand or go bare bottom. I would also go with white over black. I have had both and black doesn’t reflect the lights the same. It also shows dirt and detritus more. The arogonite sand also helps with buffering.

Unread 02/21/2019, 04:35 PM   #20
ReefWreak
Registered Member

This tank is an astounding value.

The rock and skimmer are worth $500.

You won't be able to get your first inhabitant in a new tank for much under $1,000.

I found this page:
https://www.redseafish.com/max-concept/max-250/

So it is 6x39w T5, the Deltec skimmer is probably the MCE which is an excellent skimmer, and overall it's a solid tank, ready to go.

Even if you dump everything from inside, bleach and acid wash the rocks, you'll still have a hell of a deal.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2019, 08:01 AM   #21
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
That’s another consideration I had. They said they’d deliver and set it up for like $150. It’s only maybe 5 miles from my house.
Get the tank, Its a deal esp with delivery and set up.
Ask them if they will do maintaince for the first month just to get you going.
Desert heat is dry heat. Evap cooling will work in your case. Set up a fan to blow across the water. Even better locate it under an ac vent.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2019, 10:38 PM   #22
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Get the tank, Its a deal esp with delivery and set up.
Ask them if they will do maintaince for the first month just to get you going.
Desert heat is dry heat. Evap cooling will work in your case. Set up a fan to blow across the water. Even better locate it under an ac vent.
OP will want to make sure they are getting some fresh air from outside, but generally the AC is fine.

As far as the tank goes, I considered buying a used for this go around, but I decided I did not want anyone else's initial mistakes. Aside from hardware you are more or less cycling a new tank when you buy and move someone's existing setup. Cycling can be minimized - remove the sand as was suggested, but keep 50% of the water if possible - but not removed entirely. Aiptasia would not be my first concern though, shitty water packing the rock with TDS would.

I do not regret going all new this go round, but I may buy someone else's mistakes in the future

scattered is offline   Reply With Quote