Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2018, 05:17 AM   #1
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Clownfish ID Help

I found this fish at my LFS. No idea where it was collected. It's in bad health due to brooklynella which I'm trying to treat. I was not charged for the fish because it is not expected to survive. Has all the characteristics of omanensis including the forked caudal. The caudal fin is not white like most omanensis but I have seen photos of omanensis with brown caudals with yellow markings. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Planetmacro; 06/01/2019 at 05:43 AM.
Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 10:21 AM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

My vote is Omanensis but could also be latifasciatus. According to Fautin Allen book those two are the only ones that have forked tails.
Omanensis appears to have slightly narrower white bands like yours than Latifasciatus. The darker tail could just be a result of age/sex or anemone association.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 09/27/2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added text
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 11:13 AM   #3
MarinaP
Registered Member

It is an old and sick chrysopterus

Unread 09/27/2018, 11:15 AM   #4
criccio
Premium Member

I'm leaning towards A. chrysopterus. Are those latz in the background? In a tank with a fish that has brook...yikes!

Unread 09/28/2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

The clowns in the background are common wild caught clarkii. I had no place to put the mystery clown. Anyway it was too far gone when I got her and a secondary bacterial infection finished her off last night. I preserved the mystery fish in alcohol and will send the fixed specimen to an ichthyologist friend at the New York Aquarium for positive ID. It is my experience that once clownfish survive brook as the clarkii did, they don't get it again even is exposed as long as your water condition are good. My wholesaler is trying to get more. I've had many chrysopterus. This is not chrysopterus.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote