Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2018, 09:25 PM   #1
zheka757
Registered Member

LED lights and their performance!

I got few question for you led owners
What brand light you have?
How long did it last till first problem occurred with it?
how many hours/day on?
How is coral growth with them?

reason I'm asking is 5 years ago I got some lights directly from China and over time at least 1 would burned out per month that I would have to solder new led each time.
its getting old to keep fixing them. so looking for different options now.

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Conchman
Registered Member

Ecotech. Had a Gen 1, only had to replace the fan. Sourced from online, paid like 21.00 for three. Now running a Gen 4 Pro 15, no issues. Monti’s growing like weeds, just fragged my Rasta’s, so I cant complain about growth...

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

VISPARSPECTRA 165w, I have two, 24 months now, was very well made, super quiet fan, and great coral growth... love them...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 06:15 AM   #4
eastlake
Registered Member

I have mars aquas. The first lot I bought was about the same as you, five years ago, one of the fixtures mostly burnt out, it was just super delayed in turning on (after like five minutes the lights would come on), the whole fixture not just a single diode. I have another that's doing a similar thing now but still turns on. I've gotten great growth from everything from mushrooms to acros and when the one fixture burns out I'll happily shell out $90 for another one. I run three in total on a 6' long 150 gallon.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 06:55 AM   #5
Itsadeepbluesea
Registered Member

I also have mars aquas. I have had them up for about a year now and still doing well. I don't think a year is enough to form an opinion on longevity, but so far they have been working well. At this point, I would buy them again if I was in the market.

Unread 06/27/2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Bill_Moorman
Registered Member

I’ve got two AI Prime HD lights over my 40B. Coral growth is hard to say as it’s only been set up for 6 months, but my corals are big. Seeing my frogspawn split frequently, my acans are growing new polyps, monti cap has grown 1/4 inch all around, leptestraea is encrusting over the plug and my Duncan’s are huge, like silver dollar sized.

https://youtu.be/yS4edQBU0FY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill_Moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 07:27 AM   #7
Icewing726
Registered Member

Current USA Orbit Marine Pro IC (x2)

Got it because of the sleek mount design, but more so because of the weather features. So far I've had no issues with it, but I do wish the moon light mode wasn't 6 hours. I guess I could counter act that by making moon light no light but its not a big deal (moonlight starts after you set the off time).

All in all its an awesome light. It has a slow turn on and turn off (sunrise/sunset). I'm keeping a long tentacle anemone, zoas, and mushrooms on it (20ish in depth). Plus, my kids love the weather features that you can have occur on demand or randomly (thunderstorms and passing clouds) which isn't offered with any other light.

Make sure to read their PAR ratings for their different lights before buying to make sure you get whats suited for you.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 09:56 AM   #8
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Current USA Orbit Marine Pro IC (x2)

Got it because of the sleek mount design, but more so because of the weather features. So far I've had no issues with it, but I do wish the moon light mode wasn't 6 hours. I guess I could counter act that by making moon light no light but its not a big deal (moonlight starts after you set the off time).

All in all its an awesome light. It has a slow turn on and turn off (sunrise/sunset). I'm keeping a long tentacle anemone, zoas, and mushrooms on it (20ish in depth). Plus, my kids love the weather features that you can have occur on demand or randomly (thunderstorms and passing clouds) which isn't offered with any other light.

Make sure to read their PAR ratings for their different lights before buying to make sure you get whats suited for you.
I have the exact light and got it for the exact reason and exactly don't like the 6hr moonlight as well. FYI if you get the Bluetooth module and the app, you can control the moonlight from 0-6hrs. I plan to do this soon.

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 11:37 AM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Reefbreeders, 2+ years with no issues, lights are on 14 hours a day, corals grow just fine in my opinion.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpitt80 View Post
I have the exact light and got it for the exact reason and exactly don't like the 6hr moonlight as well. FYI if you get the Bluetooth module and the app, you can control the moonlight from 0-6hrs. I plan to do this soon.

... The 6 hours must be by design then. That bluetooth module is like 200 bucks.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 05:20 PM   #11
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
... The 6 hours must be by design then. That bluetooth module is like 200 bucks.
Bluetooth module is $100
https://www.marinedepot.com/LOOP_Mar...EaAqq4EALw_wcB

I'll probably end up getting it, but seems like that capability should be built in. 6hrs just seems too long to me. I try to give the tank complete darkness at least 4hrs out of 24. Right now, I just shirt off before I go to bed..

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 06:01 PM   #12
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Moorman View Post
I’ve got two AI Prime HD lights over my 40B. Coral growth is hard to say as it’s only been set up for 6 months, but my corals are big. Seeing my frogspawn split frequently, my acans are growing new polyps, monti cap has grown 1/4 inch all around, leptestraea is encrusting over the plug and my Duncan’s are huge, like silver dollar sized.

https://youtu.be/yS4edQBU0FY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little off topic, but I am looking for new lights for my 40b and was just wondering what your peak power level is on your Prime HD's. Is it at 100% or do you have some more power you could use if needed?