Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2011, 01:01 PM   #76
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

alanbates12 so does the pvc that takes water below water surface under the water so when water goes down the pvc it is coming out underwater?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max NANO 20gal
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2011, 04:21 PM   #77
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ok so here is what i got
works great

Unread 03/19/2011, 07:03 PM   #78
alanbates12
Registered Member.

Looks perfect! Bet it was a lot less than what I paid. Let me know how it does and yes it comes out under the water so you can't hear it.

alanbates12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2011, 07:16 PM   #79
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

I can't hear anything! It took 100% of the sound away. Cost about 7$

Unread 03/19/2011, 07:46 PM   #80
alanbates12
Registered Member.

Great Man. It's much more enjoyable when its quite.

Unread 03/19/2011, 08:57 PM   #81
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ya big time I was getting very annoyed with the sound.

Unread 03/20/2011, 03:58 AM   #82
BigRedNole
Registered Member

Funny. I just did the DIY yesterday morning as well. My HD didn't have that rubber coupler you have. They had some other one that I was able to force over the gate valve. I did the same down spout with hole in the cap. Works great and is nearly silent now.

BigRedNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2011, 10:14 PM   #83
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

So when am i supposed to change/clean the socks? Tank is cycling now and i have had the sump in there for about 4 days now.

Unread 03/24/2011, 11:23 AM   #84
alanbates12
Registered Member.

change about every three days. Best way I've found to clean them is bleach and water about a 1/2 ratio. Let it sit for a day then rinse them out really good and let them dry for a couple of days. Just make sure they have no bleach smell when you get ready to use them.

Unread 03/25/2011, 08:08 AM   #85
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Maye I missed it, but does anyone have a recommendation for a Skimmer in a model 2? I was going to try to mod my bacpak (maybe in the refugium) but I would prefer to get rid of it.

ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2011, 01:00 PM   #86
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
Maye I missed it, but does anyone have a recommendation for a Skimmer in a model 2? I was going to try to mod my bacpak (maybe in the refugium) but I would prefer to get rid of it.
Well i have a model 3 and actually have a smaller third chamber than model 2 does, which is weird you would think opposite, but anyways I have a reef octopus xs 160 and i couldnt be happier. I have seen people go with aquac, you just have to make sure your skimmer dimensions will fit in the chamber. Your chamber is 10x 9 7/8. Basically comes down to your preference which brand to go with just make sure you get the one that fits the dimensions. Here is what mine looks like

Unread 04/08/2011, 10:34 PM   #87
stuproman
Registered Member

Do you guys have check valves on these setups? what stops the system from taking all the water out of my tank if I have a power outage? Thanks

stuproman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2011, 10:50 PM   #88
lacosta28
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuproman View Post
Do you guys have check valves on these setups? what stops the system from taking all the water out of my tank if I have a power outage? Thanks
I use a check valve. The return nozzle I had did have a hole drilled into it. This would break the siphon but I had two problems with this. 1) the water level would have go below the hole for it to suck air. This would drain 2 or more gallons back into my sump. 2) If I tried to move it up higher so less gallons would go into the sump then the hole would be above the water and would shoot water all over when the pump was on. Because of these hassles I just bought a check valve and covered the hole with silicon. It wasn't that expensive, easy to install, and stops the siphon immediately.

lacosta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 02:03 AM   #89
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta28 View Post
I use a check valve. The return nozzle I had did have a hole drilled into it. This would break the siphon but I had two problems with this. 1) the water level would have go below the hole for it to suck air. This would drain 2 or more gallons back into my sump. 2) If I tried to move it up higher so less gallons would go into the sump then the hole would be above the water and would shoot water all over when the pump was on. Because of these hassles I just bought a check valve and covered the hole with silicon. It wasn't that expensive, easy to install, and stops the siphon immediately.
Where do you have the check valve? On the siphon side or the return side or both? Also what Check valve do you recommend? I've seen all types. Thanks for the reply!

Unread 04/09/2011, 02:08 AM   #90
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
Well i have a model 3 and actually have a smaller third chamber than model 2 does, which is weird you would think opposite, but anyways I have a reef octopus xs 160 and i couldnt be happier. I have seen people go with aquac, you just have to make sure your skimmer dimensions will fit in the chamber. Your chamber is 10x 9 7/8. Basically comes down to your preference which brand to go with just make sure you get the one that fits the dimensions. Here is what mine looks like
MrGoodbar
Why do you have the blue handle ball valve on the return line? I see your cutting off water flow but why. Sorry I'm new to this system just trying to catch on to everything you guys have done. Thanks for the help!

Unread 04/09/2011, 09:19 AM   #91
jimrawr
Registered Member

I'm guessing his return pump needs to be dialed back or else the display tank will overflow since more water will be going up than coming down

Unread 04/09/2011, 09:32 AM   #92
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Correct my return pump had to be dialed down some but i also added it on there incase i need to do maintenance i can just close the valve then i wont have a back syphon and i also have a union valve on my return pump so i can easily remove it if i need to.

Unread 04/09/2011, 01:20 PM   #93
lacosta28
Premium Member

Quote:
Where do you have the check valve? On the siphon side or the return side or both? Also what Check valve do you recommend? I've seen all types. Thanks for the reply!
I only have it on the return side about 8 inches down from the return pipe. This is the exact one I have. http://www.marinedepot.com/Swing_Che...FTVLCV-vi.html

Unread 04/13/2011, 03:32 PM   #94
stuproman
Registered Member

on the proflex sump

How does the wall stay up between the 1st chamber to the 2nd chamber. It slides up but what is suppose to help keep it up? Does anyone kknow? What did you guys do for your proflex? Thanks

Unread 04/13/2011, 03:41 PM   #95
TRENT_G
Registered Member

Quote:
How does the wall stay up between the 1st chamber to the 2nd chamber. It slides up but what is suppose to help keep it up? Does anyone kknow? What did you guys do for your proflex? Thanks
The water pressure holds it in place.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon SPS Tank w/ 400 gallon sump......
TRENT_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2011, 03:46 PM   #96
stuproman
Registered Member

Ok. I guess I got to fill this thing up with water and see how it works to understand if you know what I mean. Thanks

Unread 04/13/2011, 06:57 PM   #97
lacosta28
Premium Member

Then everytime you turn off the return pump the wall will fall back down.

Unread 04/13/2011, 07:16 PM   #98
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

I havent had any problems with the wall yet. The water holds it up when it runs. If you turn your system off to feed the wall will fall so if you want it to stay you can put some putty to hold it up so it wont fall.

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:16 PM   #99
stuproman
Registered Member

The guys that have the ProFlex Refugium setup. How much LR did you fill it with? Can there ever be too much?

Unread 04/13/2011, 08:27 PM   #100
stuproman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
I havent had any problems with the wall yet. The water holds it up when it runs. If you turn your system off to feed the wall will fall so if you want it to stay you can put some putty to hold it up so it wont fall.
MrGoodbar
I wanna do the same set up you have there on the return pump. What do you have there at the bottom where the pipe comes out of the pump? Also what are you using at the end of the hose that returns into the tank. This would help me a lot on the plumbing. If you can think of anything else I might need. Please do explain. Thanks again. Even photos help if you have them. I have the model 2 for a 55 gal.