Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Tom39
Registered Member

DIY MP40 Extension cable

Every time I try and mount an Ecotech pump driver, I always find that the 8' length of cord that goes between the dry-side and the driver, never seems to be enough length to insure that the driver will be far enough away to not be in danger of being splashed or subjected to saltwater degradation in some fashion.

So I in an effort to find a solution I made it my goal to find a way to extend my Ecotech MP40QD cable.

At first I attempted to contact Ecotech and see if they could help me. The response that I got was that they could lengthen the cable for me but that I would have to send the dry-side into them for service. I am very confident that what they were proposing would certainly work but the issue that I had with their plan was that, what they were providing was not an extension cable but that they would cut the cable of my new QD pump and splice in a length of cord. In other words, what they were doing was only good for 1 pump and if I had a pump failure, I would have pay for them to do it again. I didn't like that Idea at all. For one the cost for them to lengthen 1 cord was $50. By the time I had them lengthen 3 pumps (2 for immediate use and 1 for a backup) and pay to ship them both directions, I would have about $200 into it.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My next idea was to scrounge through my box of junk and use the cords from old dry-side pumps and and make my own extension cable. The problem was that I apparently discarded or gave away my old MP40 dry-sides and could not find anyone that was willing part with any worn out or broken dry-sides that they had.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My new modified my plan was to purchase some 10 conductor - 22 gauge shielded cable, 2 pair of Molex 10-pin connectors and a crimp tool and make my own cables. It took me a few tries to become proficient at getting the wire stripped back at the right length and making sure that the end was properly inserted in the tool. But once I did it a few times everything went well and I finished the cables without a problem.

My final product works perfect and I could not be happier. The cable that I made provides me an additional 5' of length which will allow me to house my driver in my equipment closet away from the possibility of any degradation caused by saltwater.

Thanks for looking,
Tom G

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube

Last edited by Tom39; 10/23/2017 at 08:17 PM.
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 06:46 PM   #2
reefanatik
Registered Member

I've been wanting to do this to one of my pumps. Thanks for the details.

Current Tank Info: custom 180g PA tank
reefanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:24 PM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I'd be a little nervous about the bare molex connectors. Is that how the pumps come from the factory? I'd think you'd want a molded boot around the back of the connectors. Or at least a piece of shrink wrap, or pack the back of the connector with dielectric grease.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 05:44 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Nice job!

But,
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
I'd be a little nervous about the bare molex connectors. Is that how the pumps come from the factory? I'd think you'd want a molded boot around the back of the connectors. Or at least a piece of shrink wrap, or pack the back of the connector with dielectric grease.
^^^This^^^

I'd probably use some silicone to backfill/seal the connectors

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:14 AM   #5
fish flipper
Registered Member

I am looking to do this. Can you post a link to the materials you used?

fish flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:31 AM   #6
jamie1981
Registered Member

I did this on a MP 60 years back all you need is to find wire with the same number of conductors and gauge, cut the cord on the MP40, solder and heatshrink each individual wire and the extensions done. Worked perfect.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 04:22 PM   #7
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish flipper View Post
I am looking to do this. Can you post a link to the materials you used?
Here are the Molex connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the wire (MP40ES):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Carol-C0...72.m2749.l2649

Note that the wire used on the MP40ES is 10 conductor but the wire used on the MP40QD only used a 5 conductor wire. Not sure why they changed that.

I am building a set for my new QD pumps and here is the 5 conductor wire that I ordered for that. I am not sure that this wire will work as the description does not indicate the gauge of the wire but I thought that I would give it a try anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A1-20FT-NOI...72.m2749.l2649

Hope it helps,
Tom

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981 View Post
I did this on a MP 60 years back all you need is to find wire with the same number of conductors and gauge, cut the cord on the MP40, solder and heatshrink each individual wire and the extensions done. Worked perfect.
I actually thought about doing what you had done and spliced in a section of cable but decided against it. Although the look of a splice shrink wrapped would have looked cleaner. The reason that i didn't was that if I cut the cord, any warranty on the pump would have been voided (not that any warranty with any aquarium equipment is worth the paper it is written on) and if I ever considered selling them, having to try and explain why and how it was done was something I didn't want to have to go through.

Unread 11/20/2017, 10:17 PM   #9
fish flipper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom39 View Post
Here are the Molex connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the wire (MP40ES):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Carol-C0...72.m2749.l2649

Note that the wire used on the MP40ES is 10 conductor but the wire used on the MP40QD only used a 5 conductor wire. Not sure why they changed that.

I am building a set for my new QD pumps and here is the 5 conductor wire that I ordered for that. I am not sure that this wire will work as the description does not indicate the gauge of the wire but I thought that I would give it a try anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A1-20FT-NOI...72.m2749.l2649

Hope it helps,
Tom
Yes, that's perfect. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fish flipper is offline   Reply With Quote