Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2012, 08:35 PM   #76
hypnoj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynman View Post
So any updates on the Xport PO4 stuff???
Cause I was running bio pellets and still had to run GFO which I got from BRS and they arent cuting it anymore. I also tried the PO4X4 stuff and that didnt work for me. So Im back to the brs high comp gfo's. I pulled out my bio pellets and put my nitrate reactor back on since the bio pellets werent doing much. And I think the bio pellets had something to do with my rtn problem in the tank..
So today I just picked up the xport PO4 and I think once I run out of the gfo's I have Im going to run them. So if you have any edvice you can give me please do.
What does "rtn problem" mean? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 08:50 PM   #77
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoj View Post
What does "rtn problem" mean? I'm not familiar with that acronym.
I dont know if my spelling will be right but rtn stands for rapid tissue nicroses.

tynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 09:40 PM   #78
bertoni
RC Mod

Rapid Tissue Necrosis.

Unread 04/13/2012, 12:24 AM   #79
FragIt Dan
Marine Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynman View Post
So any updates on the Xport PO4 stuff???
Cause I was running bio pellets and still had to run GFO which I got from BRS and they arent cuting it anymore. I also tried the PO4X4 stuff and that didnt work for me. So Im back to the brs high comp gfo's. I pulled out my bio pellets and put my nitrate reactor back on since the bio pellets werent doing much. And I think the bio pellets had something to do with my rtn problem in the tank..
So today I just picked up the xport PO4 and I think once I run out of the gfo's I have Im going to run them. So if you have any edvice you can give me please do.
What symptom are you trying to remedy with XPort PO4? Are you testing phosphate? What do you suspect is causing your RTN and why?

Current Tank Info: 100G frag tank, 90G show tank, 75G softies, 33G medi tank
FragIt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 06:54 AM   #80
hypnoj
Registered Member

I'd like to know also. I've run biopellets on 2 tanks for around 1.5 yrs now. Neither tanks are sps tanks though, and I want to start a SPS tank soon. Biopellets have kept my nitrates at 0. If I can't use them for sps, dang..

Unread 04/13/2012, 08:58 AM   #81
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Rapid Tissue Necrosis.
Thank you!

Unread 04/13/2012, 09:10 AM   #82
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
What symptom are you trying to remedy with XPort PO4? Are you testing phosphate? What do you suspect is causing your RTN and why?
I am trying to get rid of phosphates with the XPort PO4. Cause the stuff Im using now isnt working.
The cause of the RTN I can not pin point it to just one thing. But after losing power to the tank for a day or 2 in the summer everything just started to happen... I had red slime algea that I couldnt get rid of. New frags would RTN a day or 2 after I put them in. I had colonies for a couple of years and they rtned on me. Everything just started to go wrong. But like a friend told me why mess with it if everything is going good. Cause I wanted to lessen my elec bill by getting rid of a couple of pumps so I got rid of my nitrate reducer and my TLF gfo reactor and went to the bio pellets. Well the pellets held down my nitrates but did nothing for my phosphates. So I had to add the gfo reactor back. And since then I could not get the phospates down to 0 ever.
So what I did was went back to where I was when everything was growing good, I put back my gfo reactor and my nitrate reducer back on and took out the bio pellets. A fresh new start took all my frags and colonies out gave them to friends and started all over again. Only added 20lbs of fine sand put more lr in and now we will see what happens. I put a couple of the frags back and 1 started to rtn on me yesterday when I put it in it perminent spot Im guessing in to much flow cause after I dipped it and fraged it I put it lower in the tank where the flow isnt that strong and for now its doing better.

Unread 04/13/2012, 09:13 AM   #83
tynman
Registered Member

Before the RTN took over.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-23-2011A.jpg (105.7 KB, 124 views)
Unread 04/13/2012, 09:29 AM   #84
tynman
Registered Member

And the new start as of 4/4/12.

My tank is a 76 gal 1/2 circle tank with LED's lights. It was 90% SPS.
Now it will be 99% SPS unless I pull the plug on the whole thing if I cant get things to get back to normal.
The tank has been up and running for over 4 years now.
I use to run the tank at
ALK 9 to 9.6
Cal 460
Mag 1350 to 1400
nitrates 0 to 5
Phos use to run 0 to 0.11 on my hanner checker.

Then new perameters are a litte off
As of 4/11/12 (I will be checking them all today)
ALK 7.05 I dose to bring it up to 9.0
Cal 500
Mag 1400
Nitrates under 5
But phospates were up to 0.21
So I put fresh GFO in Wed so I will see where it went today.
But thats why Im thinking the gfo's Im using arent working that well so that is why Im thinking of going to the XPort PO4.
The PO 4X4 didnt nothing but mess my tlf reactor up...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restart 4-4-12.jpg (81.0 KB, 70 views)
Unread 04/13/2012, 09:35 AM   #85
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd like to know also. I've run biopellets on 2 tanks for around 1.5 yrs now. Neither tanks are sps tanks though, and I want to start a SPS tank soon. Biopellets have kept my nitrates at 0. If I can't use them for sps, dang..
But are they doing anything for your phosphates?
Cause there claim to fame was nitrates and phosphates.
That is why I went with them kill 2 birds with 1 stone!!

A friend of mine did the same thing took the bio pellets out and saw better color and polyp extention just a few days after taking them out.

Im not saying they dont work or that they kill anything. But I dont want them in my tank.
You can try it with the sps just take it slow and watch what happens every time you put a new frag in. Thats the only way youll be able to tell if they will work in your tank.

Unread 04/13/2012, 10:17 AM   #86
hypnoj
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice tynman. No, you're right. I use two different companies biopellets (one company on each tank) and they have never lowered my phosphates that I've seen. Once I realized this I put chaeto in my sump with a 5 dollar light. It grows like crazy and my phosphates, and more importantly all the algae, has diminished to near zero. (hoping for zero over the next month or so). I've got it down to wear I only do a water change every 6 months or so and have no phosphate and nitrate issues. I hoping to take this knowledge and set up into an sps tank. But I want to make dead sure that the biopellets won't damage my sps.

Unread 04/13/2012, 11:12 AM   #87
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

This is totally off topic and I apologize Dan.

BP will remove NO3 at a rate of approx 16 parts to one part PO4, IIRC. So if your nitrates are low and your phosphates high, it will not reduce your PO4. You will need to run GFO for the PO4. I have been running pellets for almost 2 years now, they are not miracle workers, they have limitations. The bacteria mainly consume nitrates but also some phosphates, but the proportion is not equal. It is no different than VSV, you may have to incorporate GFO to keep the nutrients where you want them.

As far as hurting SPS, no, they should not if used correctly and they are not allowed to remove too much, I had that problem when I first used them, I almost lost everything because of running too many. Keep in mind the product has only been used for a short time, the long term effects are not known. Some people have had issues, some have not. No two tanks are the same, so what works for me may not work for you.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 11:25 AM   #88
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post

BP will remove NO3 at a rate of approx 16 parts to one part PO4, IIRC. .
Where did you see that data?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 11:40 AM   #89
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice tynman. No, you're right. I use two different companies biopellets (one company on each tank) and they have never lowered my phosphates that I've seen. Once I realized this I put chaeto in my sump with a 5 dollar light. It grows like crazy and my phosphates, and more importantly all the algae, has diminished to near zero. (hoping for zero over the next month or so). I've got it down to wear I only do a water change every 6 months or so and have no phosphate and nitrate issues. I hoping to take this knowledge and set up into an sps tank. But I want to make dead sure that the biopellets won't damage my sps.
Well I wish you luck with the sps tank. I dont know if you can get away with 6 month water changes with sps. Hope you do and then Ill use your formula cause I had it to every 2 weeks a 20 to 25% water change.

Unread 04/13/2012, 11:43 AM   #90
tynman
Registered Member

Quote:

BP will remove NO3 at a rate of approx 16 parts to one part PO4, IIRC. So if your nitrates are low and your phosphates high, it will not reduce your PO4. You will need to run GFO for the PO4. I have been running pellets for almost 2 years now, they are not miracle workers, they have limitations. The bacteria mainly consume nitrates but also some phosphates, but the proportion is not equal. It is no different than VSV, you may have to incorporate GFO to keep the nutrients where you want them.

As far as hurting SPS, no, they should not if used correctly and they are not allowed to remove too much, I had that problem when I first used them, I almost lost everything because of running too many. Keep in mind the product has only been used for a short time, the long term effects are not known. Some people have had issues, some have not. No two tanks are the same, so what works for me may not work for you.
Yes you are right. I had to run GFO's with the BP and still couldnt get them down to 0. So why not go back to what worked for me...
And yes your right about what works in my tank wont always work in your tank.

Unread 04/13/2012, 11:45 AM   #91
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Randy I believe it was in the original BP thread. Do the bacteria not follow the Redfield Ratio? I know it was suggested in one of these threads. Teach me Master. :-)

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 04/13/2012, 12:05 PM   #92
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

No, bacteria that potentially perform anaerobic respiration will potentially have far more nitrate consumption than the redfield ratio indicates because they use it as an electron acceptor (essentially, as a source of oxygen):

This is a typical process:

organic + 124 NO3- + 124 H+ → 122 CO2 + 70 N2 + 208 H2O

Unread 04/13/2012, 12:16 PM   #93
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I see that as a good thing, unless your PO4 is high and your NO3 low. I spent a minute searching for where I first read that, there are posts all over the place stating the 16:1 ratio of uptake with carbon dosing. You gotta love this place, the more you think you have learned, the less you actually did. :-) Thanks for the education as always. So tanks that have an imbalance (so to speak) of PO4 to NO3 are limited to using other methods such as GFO to reduce the PO4, if I understand the process, and carbon dosing is not going to help much.

Unread 04/13/2012, 01:24 PM   #94
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Yes, that's why a lot of folks (myself included) find GFO is useful along with carbon dosing.

Unread 04/13/2012, 07:02 PM   #95
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Randy I believe it was in the original BP thread. Do the bacteria not follow the Redfield Ratio? I know it was suggested in one of these threads. Teach me Master. :-)
The oft quoted (and widely misused) redfield ration of 16:1 is an open oceanic average. Different organisms, and different systems of organisms can have hugely (were talking orders of magnitude) different ratios

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 07:10 PM   #96
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Thanks Bill, and I am actually glad it was brought up, the fact that the bacteria can actually chomp on even more is a good thing for most people as I believe most people have more NO3 than PO4.

Now that this thread has been derailed from it's original intention, (sorry) I am wondering if the anyone feels that these products are no more than repackaged existing methods with a shiny new name? They do seem to work but that didn't surprise me either.

Unread 06/05/2012, 01:05 PM   #97
seapug
Registered Member

I'm bumping this up to see if people are still using these X-port NO3 and PO4 products. I'm considering trying these products because I'm tired of my GFO and GAC turning into solid clumps from my Vodka dosing.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 03:20 PM   #98
hypnoj
Registered Member

yes plz, any updates?

Unread 06/05/2012, 10:16 PM   #99
bertoni
RC Mod

I didn't think vodka dosing would cause GFO and GAC to form a solid mass. I've seen that from alkalinity dosing.

Unread 06/06/2012, 10:00 AM   #100
Thatgrimguy
Registered Member

Any word on Xport po4?? My LFS switched all there accounts to it. Not because it's 500 times more effiecient, but because it is 500 times easier to use. No need to adjust for flow rate changes as the media clogs! I'm going to give it a shot. May make my BRS dual media reactor actually useful for 2 medias rather than just double GAC.

Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
croutons, new products, nitrate, nitrogen cycle, organic carbon, phosphate remover