Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2015, 11:52 PM   #1
Mahimahiman
Registered Member

Question Good small fish in groups

Hello I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank that was set up about 4 months ago. Everything is running swimmingly and stable much to my pleasure. I want to add a good population of fish to provide plenty of movement and color and plan on using coral as accents and not main focuses. I'm looking for little fish that would do well in either pairs or preferably in groups of 3 or more. If anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated. I've done a lot of research on compatible species but would like to hear from some people who have had experience keeping 'shoals' 'schools' 'groups' of same species fish. Thanks for the input, all criticism is appreciated!
My fish as of now:

2x Ocellaris clowns
1x Bengaii Cardianal
3x Blue Chromis (had 4, 1 got punked to death, these 3 do fine together)
1x Buby headed Wrasse
1x Lyretail Anthias (would like 1 more to display male/female color)
1x Chalk Bass (love this little guy, thinking of adding more?)
1x Citrin/Citrus Goby

Mahimahiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 02:50 AM   #2
droog
Registered Member

Hi,

I had a similar goal about a year ago in my 120g. At the time I was told there are not really any fish that will shoal let alone school in a volume of water this small.

I've had a group of 5 longspine cardinalfish in my tank for a year now - they do tend to hang out together and are peaceful to tankmates. I also have a group of 7 pajama cardnalfish in the same system. All are well and peaceful but they have grown quite rapidly. I feel that my tank is a bit too crowded now, and will return some to the LFS.

If they were available where I live, I would have got a group of "Zebra barred dartfish" but I've not been able to find or order them.

I've heard that your Chromis are quite likely to go down to 1. I'm no expert but that looks like quite a lot of fish in there already!

-d

droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 08:06 AM   #3
A sea K
Registered Member

The above mentioned Zebra Barred Dartfish as well as the Scissortail or Blue Gudgeon Dartfish. All of these will do best if in a group.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Reef Frog
Registered Member

Orange striped Cardinal fish & chalk bass will congregate in groups but don't school tightly. They tend to move around and through the rocks as opposed to hanging out in open water.

I've heard reports of successful "harems" of Royal Grammas but haven't seen it done first hand. I imagine it might be hard to sex them but not sure.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:49 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Fish don't really 'school' in tanks. Not sure if it is because our tanks are too small or the lack of predators. Best you can really hope for is a loose aggregation. Chalk Basslets are among my favorite fish (I have a group of seven) so I'd heartily recommend that you add more. Some of the smaller anthias species will move as a group, though they can be tricky to keep.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:57 AM   #6
Mark9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Fish don't really 'school' in tanks.
Totally false.
I have witnessed a tank with 4 Longspine Cardinalfish in it, they school and are always together.
The public aquarium around here has a bunch of anthias that are always together.
If that's not schooling, then whatever.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 11:01 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I doubt that.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/02/2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Mark9
Registered Member

Quote:
I doubt that.
I guess then until you see it, it's not true.

Unread 02/02/2015, 11:08 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark9 View Post
Totally false.
I have witnessed a tank with 4 Longspine Cardinalfish in it, they school and are always together.
The public aquarium around here has a bunch of anthias that are always together.
Perhaps you and I simply have a different perception if what constitutes 'schooling'. I have had the good fortune to do a lot of South Pacific diving, and the way that anthias behave in large numbers simply is not replicated in any captive aquarium that I have seen. I've also kept long spine cardinals many times and I'd not call how they behave in captive tanks 'schooling' either. Loose aggregations ....

Unread 02/02/2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Clownfish Chris
Registered Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoaling_and_schooling

According to Wikipedia, and judging by the vague description, ca1ore is correct. A group of fish simply being together is a shoal. When a shoal swims in the same direction, if becomes a school.

Now, I have seen schooling behavior only in large public displays of thousands of gallons where there were larger fish in the system. Could be space, predation, of a combination of both. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Great conversation!

Clownfish Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Mark9
Registered Member

Quote:
Perhaps you and I simply have a different perception if what constitutes 'schooling'. I have had the good fortune to do a lot of South Pacific diving, and the way that anthias behave in large numbers simply is not replicated in any captive aquarium that I have seen. I've also kept long spine cardinals many times and I'd not call how they behave in captive tanks 'schooling' either. Loose aggregations ....
Sorry, I missed your thread count, way more posts than me, you are right.
If I see a group of fish, looks like a school to me.

Unread 02/02/2015, 12:07 PM   #12
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I've read that tightly packed schools are a response to a perceived predator being nearby. That rings true to me. In any event I enjoy seeing multiples in aquariums.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:11 PM   #13
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Quote:
Totally false.
Those aren't schools, those are shoals. And someone disagreeing with you is no reason to be snarky like in your follow up posts.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:11 PM   #14
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Glass spot cardinals are one of the great shoaling fish for aquariums. In your tank you could easily a group of 12-15 and have a great little shoal moving around the tank. They tend to stay fairly tight with each other.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Mahimahiman
Registered Member

Quote:
Fish don't really 'school' in tanks. Not sure if it is because our tanks are too small or the lack of predators. Best you can really hope for is a loose aggregation. Chalk Basslets are among my favorite fish (I have a group of seven) so I'd heartily recommend that you add more. Some of the smaller anthias species will move as a group, though they can be tricky to keep.
Ya i really like how fast the Chalk Bass are and am glad I can add some more. The glass spot cardinals are intriguing. What about 3 or 4 fire fish?

Mahimahiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:46 PM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your thread count, way more posts than me, you are right.
If I see a group of fish, looks like a school to me.
OK Just trying to add to the conversation .... but as you yourself said so eloquently .... whatever! Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Unread 02/02/2015, 12:47 PM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahimahiman View Post
Ya i really like how fast the Chalk Bass are and am glad I can add some more. The glass spot cardinals are intriguing. What about 3 or 4 fire fish?
Firefish are cool, though I only ever kept one ... no reason really.

Unread 02/02/2015, 03:13 PM   #18
A sea K
Registered Member

Firefish will not tolerate each other unless they are a mated pair.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish advice, group, nano, shoal