Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2012, 06:41 PM   #26
ghellin
Registered Member

Great sketch up. I would recommend the rapid 48 LED kit. An entire build would run you about $500, depending how you build your heatsink you can save a little and it would be less.

Unread 07/01/2012, 07:05 PM   #27
OKCchief
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
Great sketch up. I would recommend the rapid 48 LED kit. An entire build would run you about $500, depending how you build your heatsink you can save a little and it would be less.
While the initial cost for LED's is more, your save alot in the long run. Rapid is the way to go.

OKCchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 08:06 PM   #28
madkat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
I am running 1 " aluminum c channel, this is a great option for LED DIY and it is cheaper than large heatsinks. I have 120 on 9 strips and absolutely no heat issues.

We could cover more surface area with LEDs if you build your own heatsinks as well.

180 Gallon RR, t-5 retro, custom stand, 29 gallon sump, 20 gallon refuge, 4 true Amphiprion ocellaris ( not false-percs), dwarf lionfish - Dendrochirus brachypterus, Desjardini Sailfin - Zebrasoma desjardini, Flame Angel - Centropyge loriculus

Current Tank Info: 180 , t-5 retro, converting to LED, custom stand
madkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 08:29 AM   #29
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice and input. Decisions! Decisions! I may just stick with the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro. I like the rapid 48 LED kit, but Im not sure the cost saved will be enough to cover the headache and chance that I will goof it up. I will continue to research. Thanks again everyone!

Current Tank Info: 70G RR Corner BowFront w/Corner Flo,
Jeff3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 12:55 PM   #30
cwinn
Registered Member

Yeah continue to research but if you aren't going to save much I would buy the unit, remember time is money!

cwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2012, 08:59 AM   #31
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Now that the sand has settled you can see the aquascaping.

Unread 07/16/2012, 11:11 PM   #32
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Updates? Pretty tank.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2012, 08:06 PM   #33
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Thanks MarineGirl. Here it is at Day 18 with moon lights. Also, last weekend we added 3 yellowtail blue damsels.

Unread 08/01/2012, 10:05 PM   #34
Jeff3D
Registered Member

We bought some more LR and finally got our lights (Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED) installed. I believe we have had water in the tank for around 32 days. So I wanted to post an update are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Heres the DT.. We still have 3 Yellowtail Damselfish

Here is the top left and right portion under the canopy. We ended up hanging the Panorama Pro LED with 2 metal U brackets made for 4x4s that we bought from lowe's. Also on the sides are our R2 Solutions Extreme LED Moonlights

These are the images below the DT. On the left side we went with the SpectraPure Power Liquid Level Controller and Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump. Also to light the refugium we used a JBJ Nano-Glo 4-LED Refugium Light that is hidden behind the jug.

On the right side we have the Marineland Marine Pro 100 Skimmer that took about a week to break in. The skimmer seems to work great since we have it on the second level where the water level never changes.

Finally you will see also on the second level I have my refugium in a small mesh breeder box that fits perfectly and keeps my cheato and dragons breath contained.

Unread 08/19/2012, 03:43 PM   #35
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a few updated pics. Looks like we are around the 50 day mark since we started. We got rid of those darn Yellowtail Damselfish. In our tank we have 2 ocellaris clownfish, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Scooter Blenny, Red Flasher Wrasse, 1 Sandsifting star, 1 green brittle star, Frogspawn Coral and Colt Coral.

DT

Clowns and Yellow Tang

Colt Coral

Frogspawn

Last but not least I like this pic for some reason.

Unread 08/19/2012, 08:19 PM   #36
Doomed
Registered Member

Lookin good!

Doomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 05:37 AM   #37
Tek
Mr. Vu

I love Tangs. Looking good and can't wait to see when I get back to the states.

Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2012, 08:53 AM   #38
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Thanks Doomed!

Mr. Vu,
Heck yeah! Tangs are my favorite too. Enjoy your vacation! See you in a few weeks!

Unread 10/07/2012, 10:25 PM   #39
BigPurp
Registered Member

looks great! Any updates? How are you liking the lights?

BigPurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2012, 01:53 AM   #40
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Thanks for checking in BigPurp! The lights are awesome so far.. The best coral to judge would be a branching FS which is the first coral I added about 2 months ago. The heads have almost doubled from 6 to 10. ( BTW Thanks for my first coral TEK!)

The Ecoxotic Panorama Pros have great reviews online, but others that I have spoken with in person doubt their ability. I guess time will tell.

One thing I wanted to mention, I definitely recommend Custom Reef Creations in OKC and Aquarium Oddballs in Tulsa. Bill at CRC is great with Kids... I swear my 5yr old just follows him around asking to hold hermit crabsor any other invert and Bill treats her just like he would any other customer with excellent service. Also, Scott in Tulsa was very generous on my first visit and I ended up chatting with him for a few hours after he hooked me up!

All the fish heads and reefers Ive met have been extremely friendly.. When you start talking to someone and find out they have an aquarium it's almost like you both belong to a secret club and are able to bond instantly. Good Times!!

Here are some updated pics!
DT at day 100ish

Rose Bulb Anemone

Firefish, flowerpot, Tomini Tang, Main FS colony and Colt

Elegance Coral and FS Frag

Toadstool

Flowerpot, Xenia, Zoas, and Maze Brain

Spiny Oyster

Unread 10/24/2012, 09:58 AM   #41
Tek
Mr. Vu

You have come a long way. It seems as if we just talked about starting your tank and now it is looking great.

Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2013, 09:51 PM   #42
SarahSinger29
Registered Member

I just want to say that this is a fabulous thread! Came across it looking for ideas on how to mod a C3 sump by Marineland because it's the only already made sump system that will fit under my Marineland 27 gallon cube. Smart people, those Marineland folks! lol

Anyway, just thought it was very informative and also very friendly/helpful and I've come across a ton where people just don't seem to have any respect for someone coming into this hobby! A lot of rude a hateful posts I've seen today because someone that was new said they got a crappy protein skimmer not knowing it was crappy (just an example) and others jumped all over them... However, this thread is a nice breath of fresh air! Thanks for that all of you posters!

Also, Premilove, I never knew the vortech and the radion could get together and do all that fun stuff! Glad I saw that... I'm in the game for a AI Sol Blue but now I might have to take a closer look at the Radion. Wonder if the AI Sols can do that kind of stuff? I know the new wireless controller lets you do about 30 different lighting things but to match it with the pumps is genius. Wish I would have thought of that!

Jeff, your tank looked amazing on your last post... I'm thinking it probably looks better than mine at this point, and mines been up and running for years! haha You made a beautiful tank extremely fast!! And just because I originally came across this post because of the C3 sump, how is that going? Have you done anything different to it? Is it still operational? Seems to be my only option minus a custom build so I'm really curious!! Hope all is well!

Now... onto figuring out what to do about this C3 sump situation, which is ridiculously priced by the way!!

SarahSinger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 02:03 PM   #43
Jeff3D
Registered Member

Thanks for the props on my tank Sarah! I also agree about everyone on this thread being so friendly and helpful!

As far as my sump goes.. I think like anything it definitely has its pros and cons.

The pros would be the size and having it be able to fit under the tight space of my stand. I also like that the 2nd stage water level stays at the same height. I have the Marineland skimmer and after taking a few weeks to break in it skims some really dark nasty gunk. I took out the bio wheels and added Nitrate and phosphate absorbing pads where the media basket goes and think they do a great job. I also added a GFO reactor that isnt listed which I believe helps keep my phosphates at a minimum.

The cons are also the size. Im using API test kits and everything stays within the proper parameters. However people tell me API test arent very accurate. I believe I have a slight phosphate problem that wouldnt be an issue if the sump were a bit bigger. This would allow more room for cheato, bigger skimmer and additional live rock. Also an ATO for this tank is a must with the third stage's upper portion being so slim. I can go from a full water level to my return sucking air / adding micro bubbles by just removing 2-3 solo cups of water.

Luckily, my sump came with the tank and stand so I didnt have to pay the crazy price. Overall, I would say this is a great sump for my needs. It fits great under my stand and keeps my parameters in check.

Sarah, how long have you had your C3 and what are your thoughts?

Unread 03/16/2013, 05:03 PM   #44
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

Haha Is that the aquarium that set up there at wet pets with a sold sign on it?

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2013, 06:58 PM   #45
Jeff3D
Registered Member

I thought I would post an update because Its been almost 1 year since I started my tank. Thanks for all the help Mr. Vu and Bill at CRC

Unread 05/25/2013, 09:12 PM   #46
bstubbz17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff3D View Post
I thought I would post an update because Its been almost 1 year since I started my tank. Thanks for all the help Mr. Vu and Bill at CRC
Xenia took over now, didn't it?

bstubbz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 11:19 PM   #47
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

Time for an update! i wanna see more Xenia haha ;p

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow front, bowfront, new build