Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2018, 08:33 PM   #5176
Js1620
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
I started with a 12hr photoperiod but myself just like wwc and ecotech found in the coral lab study that the 9hr photoperiod seems to be ideal with LED’s. When I was at 12 hrs I would notice that things generally didn’t pop like they do under the shorter schedule and that some corals would close up before the lights went off which is a tell tale sign of photo inhibition being reached. It’s a pain for me as well but I go to work quite early so I just pushed the photoperiod start back to noon so I still get some nice viewing time when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good feedback

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Js1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 08:21 PM   #5177
Cammunoz
Registered Member

So whats the best program so far? Im running two over a 120 tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 10:45 AM   #5178
Mache62
Registered Member

So an updated pic. I'm running 4 hydra52s (non HD). I just installed them in the 60" Aquatic Life T5 hybrid module that comes with 4 T5s. I am currently using the following combination of T5s...
B+/C+/Ac/B+
I might swap out the C+ though for purple or another actinic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 01:49 PM   #5179
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mache62 View Post
So an updated pic. I'm running 4 hydra52s (non HD). I just installed them in the 60" Aquatic Life T5 hybrid module that comes with 4 T5s. I am currently using the following combination of T5s...
B+/C+/Ac/B+
I might swap out the C+ though for purple or another actinic.

With the hydras I wouldn’t even bother with the actinic bulb. I’d run B+, C+,P+, B+ using the AB+ with t5ho profile. Btw the tank is looking awesome!

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 06:09 PM   #5180
Mache62
Registered Member

@orcus thanks! Its getting there. That sounds like a good plan...I think I will like the purple better anyway.

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 03:41 PM   #5181
qfrisco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woakes View Post
Hi I am new to the site. I have 2 52HD lights over a 90 gal saltwater mix tank. They are 12 inches over the water. The tank is 48 inches long 24 inches high and 18 inches wide. I was wondering what setting I should use any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if you've gotten any replies yet, but I have the same size tank, though just Hydra 52s (not the HDs). I have two Hydra 52s mounted longwise 12" over the water. In general what's been pleasing to my eye has been setting the UV and blues at 100%, red and green at 33%, and cool white at %66. Basically, cool whites at 2/3rds the blues, and red and green at 1/3rd the blues.

I have them on for 8 hours. It took my about 3 months to acclimate from about 35% power to where I am now.

Hope that helps!

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:37 PM   #5182
PanchoG
Registered Member

Just to share the new parameters I have been running for 90 days with excellent results in both growth and color.

Photo period is 12 hours, 4 hours ramp up.

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 06:29 PM   #5183
PanchoG
Registered Member

Here are some examples of how the corals are doing with the lights:
.heic[/IMG]

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 01:43 PM   #5184
Ashr
Registered Member

Needing some help or thoughts on my light setup with my SPS AB+ custom settings.

I am running 1 Hydra 26 HD over a Red Sea 170 Reefer.
This what I am running right now. I just finished running my Acclimation for 2 months.

Should I keep increasing the intensity up to 60% to 80%? I am going more LPS this tank with some SPS on the top. Light is 12" above my water but was thinking I could bring this down to 10"

Also, I could had T5 supplements with AaquaticLife 24" T5HO LED but not yet

Any thoughts or help would be awesome. I just feel like I should be higher then 50% but don't wanna burn anything.

Edit: I think ill use the AB+ SPS high and accum it at 40% for 1.5 months and see how it goes!

Last edited by Ashr; 06/11/2018 at 04:20 PM.
Ashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 01:50 PM   #5185
lancesmith1
Registered Member

Red Sea provides suggested programs for the types of corals that you are keeping that have worked pretty well for me. Also, BRS has a video that Randy does that provides suggestions.

lancesmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 11:22 AM   #5186
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancesmith1 View Post
Red Sea provides suggested programs for the types of corals that you are keeping that have worked pretty well for me. Also, BRS has a video that Randy does that provides suggestions.
I don't think I was able to find the RS suggested levels but ill double check again thanks!

Unread 06/14/2018, 11:39 AM   #5187
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashr View Post
Needing some help or thoughts on my light setup with my SPS AB+ custom settings.

I am running 1 Hydra 26 HD over a Red Sea 170 Reefer.
This what I am running right now. I just finished running my Acclimation for 2 months.

Should I keep increasing the intensity up to 60% to 80%? I am going more LPS this tank with some SPS on the top. Light is 12" above my water but was thinking I could bring this down to 10"

Also, I could had T5 supplements with AaquaticLife 24" T5HO LED but not yet

Any thoughts or help would be awesome. I just feel like I should be higher then 50% but don't wanna burn anything.

Edit: I think ill use the AB+ SPS high and accum it at 40% for 1.5 months and see how it goes!

Unread 06/14/2018, 11:42 AM   #5188
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:

Appologies for the double post had a Tapatalk freakout lol. But yes use the high power setting your not going to burn anything with a 26hd over that tank. For reference I’m running an ati power module over my reefer 170 which is basically equivalent to running a 26hd 100% all channels and 4 t5 bulbs and everything is fine lol.

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:17 PM   #5189
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
Appologies for the double post had a Tapatalk freakout lol. But yes use the high power setting your not going to burn anything with a 26hd over that tank. For reference I’m running an ati power module over my reefer 170 which is basically equivalent to running a 26hd 100% all channels and 4 t5 bulbs and everything is fine lol.

That is what I was thinking but I was not sure haha. I miss my old ATI but had to sell it when I got this smaller tank. I still might add 4 T5 bulbs but not sure just yet. I wanna grow a few SPS and mainly SPS. Just don't want to melt anything.

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:30 PM   #5190
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
That is what I was thinking but I was not sure haha. I miss my old ATI but had to sell it when I got this smaller tank. I still might add 4 T5 bulbs but not sure just yet. I wanna grow a few SPS and mainly SPS. Just don't want to melt anything.

You won’t on my last tank, which was an sca 50 (basically the same dimensions just 4” deeper front to back) I was running 4t5s and a hydra 52hd running the AB+ profile and everything grew like weeds lol. It was also a full mixed reef. The key ime is to take it very slow with leds and utilize long acclimation periods (2+ months), make sure your tank has some nutrients (say 5-20 ppm nitrates and 10-30ppb phosphate), dKH of 6.8-8, keep the other parameters as stable as possible, and add as much flow as you think you need then double it lol.

Unread 06/14/2018, 02:33 PM   #5191
Frcarvajal
Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for settings for AI Hydras 52 NO-HD. Can anyone share theirs with me? Been looking like 10 pages in the past but all I found were HD. I have 3 Hydras no HD 6" over a 48x24x20 tank and x1 on my frag tank. Been trying to mimic the SPS AB+ but I have no idea, to be honest, if its fine! please help!

Frcarvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 02:43 PM   #5192
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frcarvajal View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for settings for AI Hydras 52 NO-HD. Can anyone share theirs with me? Been looking like 10 pages in the past but all I found were HD. I have 3 Hydras no HD 6" over a 48x24x20 tank and x1 on my frag tank. Been trying to mimic the SPS AB+ but I have no idea, to be honest, if its fine! please help!

The ab+ file only works for uploading on the hd fixtures but to get a rough approximation with the 52’s just set a 9hr total photoperiod with 1hr ramps and 100% for your blue and violet channels and 24% for your red white green channels.

Unread 06/14/2018, 03:09 PM   #5193
Frcarvajal
Registered Member

Quote:
The ab+ file only works for uploading on the hd fixtures but to get a rough approximation with the 52’s just set a 9hr total photoperiod with 1hr ramps and 100% for your blue and violet channels and 24% for your red white green channels.

Thank you for replying! So, just to confirm UV, Violet, DB, and RB 100% and White, Green and Red 24%?

Frcarvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 03:22 PM   #5194
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frcarvajal View Post
Thank you for replying! So, just to confirm UV, Violet, DB, and RB 100% and White, Green and Red 24%?

Yup with a 9 hr total photo period including the 1hr ramps

Unread 06/14/2018, 04:52 PM   #5195
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
You won’t on my last tank, which was an sca 50 (basically the same dimensions just 4” deeper front to back) I was running 4t5s and a hydra 52hd running the AB+ profile and everything grew like weeds lol. It was also a full mixed reef. The key ime is to take it very slow with leds and utilize long acclimation periods (2+ months), make sure your tank has some nutrients (say 5-20 ppm nitrates and 10-30ppb phosphate), dKH of 6.8-8, keep the other parameters as stable as possible, and add as much flow as you think you need then double it lol.

I have 1 Mp10QD on the tank right now.. I got rid of an older louder pump but I feel I may need to add another Mp10QD as one just does not cut it..

Unread 06/14/2018, 05:22 PM   #5196
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
I have 1 Mp10QD on the tank right now.. I got rid of an older louder pump but I feel I may need to add another Mp10QD as one just does not cut it..

No 1 mp10qd is definitely not enough for a 48” sps tank in any way shape or form. For reference I’m running 3 mp10’s synced in tidal swell mode at 80% on my reefer 170. On a 48” sps tank ideally you would want at least 2mp 40’s. Since that costs a small fortune and don’t know your finances if you can’t swing that I would look at selling your mp10 and getting a pair of gyres with the controller or pick up a few larger jebaos.

Unread 06/14/2018, 05:26 PM   #5197
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
No 1 mp10qd is definitely not enough for a 48” sps tank in any way shape or form. For reference I’m running 3 mp10’s synced in tidal swell mode at 80% on my reefer 170. On a 48” sps tank ideally you would want at least 2mp 40’s. Since that costs a small fortune and don’t know your finances if you can’t swing that I would look at selling your mp10 and getting a pair of gyres with the controller or pick up a few larger jebaos.

I don’t know why it won’t let me edit posts o well lol. But I mixed you and the other guy up so for a 170 yes you need at least 1 more mp10 and possibly two. Running 3 like I do is awesome as the 3rd pump running ecobak really mixes the water column well but it’s not entirely necessary. My apologies for the mixup

Unread 06/14/2018, 06:09 PM   #5198
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
I don’t know why it won’t let me edit posts o well lol. But I mixed you and the other guy up so for a 170 yes you need at least 1 more mp10 and possibly two. Running 3 like I do is awesome as the 3rd pump running ecobak really mixes the water column well but it’s not entirely necessary. My apologies for the mixup

No worries haha
Yes it's a RS 170. I have an old MP10ES that I could add but it's broken and needs a new dry side. It's not super $$ so I could just replace that and have two going.

Thanks again

Unread 06/15/2018, 03:28 PM   #5199
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
No worries haha
Yes it's a RS 170. I have an old MP10ES that I could add but it's broken and needs a new dry side. It's not super $$ so I could just replace that and have two going.

Thanks again
I have been losing heads of my torch and hammer head and feel it might be related to the light or the flow. I added in an R8 so that has added a ton of flow and turned the lights up

Unread 06/15/2018, 04:53 PM   #5200
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
I have been losing heads of my torch and hammer head and feel it might be related to the light or the flow. I added in an R8 so that has added a ton of flow and turned the lights up

Idk ime loosing heads signifies a water quality issue. I had tons of euphyllia in my last tank and blasted them with both light and flow. Typically they will close up for a few days as they adjust but dying heads is caused by something else. Look at the pic I posted a few posts back of my old sca 50.