Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2015, 07:10 PM   #26
sethd12
Registered Member

Wow. Looks great so far. I will be tagging along.

Unread 02/02/2015, 07:19 PM   #27
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Wow what a house.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 08:11 PM   #28
d-man
Registered Member

Everything is insane.
Beautiful!!
SoCal or AZ?

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 12:27 AM   #29
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Thank you everyone. No photos tonight. Didnt have a chance to go to the house. My friend surprised me with floor seats to the Suns game. Was a blast. The house is in Arizona. We have a home in California but primary residence is arizona. I'll try to swing by the house to get updated pics. Appreciate you all tagging along.

Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 01:09 AM   #30
Humongous
Registered Member

Looks to be very well thought out!

Current Tank Info: 10.5'L x 5'W x 30"H
Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 08:47 AM   #31
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

So originally we had a shorter fish room in the garage. The contractors had built it out 3 feet and then it had a jog to 4 feet. As they poured the concrete and built out the framing of the garage itself, Im starting at this depression in the garage and wondering why such a weird shape?

I spoke with the contractor and we changed it to a 3 foot depth total and extended the room by about another 7 feet. So when this "fish room" is built, its not a full room per say but an extension on the back of the garage. 3 full set of doors and fully insulated room means that we have no issues with climate control in the hot arizona sun.

In the picture below, the depression in the garage floor is going to extend another 6 feet to accommodate the filtration room. Ill be by the house later today and I believe the framing is complete for the room. Ill grab some updated photos.

Unread 02/03/2015, 08:54 AM   #32
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here is the schematic of the fish room with the different components. Ignore the drawing and imagine that instead of a 13'7" long room, it will be roughly 20 feet long and roughly 3 feet deep.

We have a wet dry, chiller, canister filters, protein skimmers- all the good stuff planned. I also met with the electrician and we are going to have plenty of power in the area so as not to run out and short anything.

The nice thing about this is that all the noise and smell of the filtration room is far away from the actual tank and the living areas. Makes it easy to service- I don't need to let anyone in the house when we are out of town and it makes it easy to service in the sense that we aren't beating up the furniture or flooring around the tank.

Unread 02/03/2015, 08:58 AM   #33
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here is the cabinetry around the tank. We have upper and lower cabinets. Base cabinet is roughly 36 inches from the finished floor. 48 inches of tank and then another 36 inches of cabinetry which is going to fill in the wall that separates the family room from the bar.

Unread 02/03/2015, 09:24 AM   #34
daplatapus
Registered Member

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see this thing when it's done. If I might make a small suggestion... make absolutely sure you're going to be ok with a 3' deep fish room. That is really not a lot of room and you may run out of space pretty quick. If you do end up going with it, make sure your leave lots of room around each piece of equipment in there for servicing and replacement. Its surprising how much room you end up needing.

Current Tank Info: 80 gal display 48L X 24H X16D, 2 MP-40's, Odyssea 2-250W MH 4-HO T-5 Actinic's, 80 lbs Aragonite sand, 4 - 150W titanium heaters, Reeflo Baracuda return pump, 150gal sump, Filter Guys Reef Miser 6 stage + 1 Dual RO/DI, LifeReef 48" Skimmer
daplatapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 10:04 AM   #35
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Looks great so far! Can't wait to see this thing when it's done. If I might make a small suggestion... make absolutely sure you're going to be ok with a 3' deep fish room. That is really not a lot of room and you may run out of space pretty quick. If you do end up going with it, make sure your leave lots of room around each piece of equipment in there for servicing and replacement. Its surprising how much room you end up needing.

I totally agree with this. If there is one part of the whole build that Im not happy with is the fish room. This whole project evolved and came to fruition after the plans were all done. We originally had a 2 way fireplace between the bar and the family room. My daughter said- why not put a fish tank there- Great idea honey!

My wife bought in but since the plans were done and approved with home owners and city, we had to modify within the existing skeleton. This was the reason for putting the fish room in the office originally as referenced by my first picture. Then after we realized that wouldn't work, we looked at other options. We thought about building a shed outside- but climate control and setbacks from the neighbors prevented that. Our community is very strict in what you can and can't do and building and extending the entire home was just not an option.

Finally we decided on the garage. I didnt want to lose an entire bay for parking so the decision was made to put the fish room at the back of the garage only 3 feet deep. The room however is over 20 feet long so we should be fine with space as all the components that will go in will fit easily. The wet dry is going to be made long and deep so as to fit easily.

Now to prevent the claustrophobic feel, there are 3 sets of double doors on the front of the room. Essentially if you consider 5.5 feet of doors,x3 thats 16.5 feet of doorway which means that when everything is opened up completely, you have plenty of access to all the equipment.

We got it to work but like I said, far from ideal and if I was to do it all again (which Im not going to!) I would designate a fish room close by, but accessible from the outside.

Unread 02/03/2015, 10:28 AM   #36
SPotter
Registered Member

Ummm....wow!!!!!!! I am speechless! Cant wait to see this develop!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 11:50 AM   #37
dave.m
Registered Member

Why the wet/dry? They were dropped many years ago as they are major nitrate factories.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 12:16 PM   #38
sunsetSPS
Registered Member

Congrats to your dream build! Enjoy your life time experience!

sunsetSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 12:49 PM   #39
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Why the wet/dry? They were dropped many years ago as they are major nitrate factories.
I agree. The cleanup and maintenance is much more than so many other options out there, for this size setup.

What else have you looked at?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 12:56 PM   #40
Jtdecap
Registered Member

Wow....Well I guess if you're going to be a bear.. be a Grizzly! BIG TIME congratulations on this build! Including the house! Can only imagine what the audio-video room looks like!

Jtdecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 02:48 PM   #41
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

tagging along!

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 03:26 PM   #42
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
I agree. The cleanup and maintenance is much more than so many other options out there, for this size setup.

What else have you looked at?

Hi,

I guess I have been out of the hobby for a few years and didnt realize that wet/drys were no longer the rage. Ill have a conversation with my installer and figure out something else. Most likely a sump with filter socks.

We will have canister filters, protein skimmers and some form of sump/filter socks. We are still a few months away from the actual install so lots of time to update and make better.

Unread 02/03/2015, 03:42 PM   #43
dave.m
Registered Member

Check out the books by Mr Saltwater Tank. They are pretty up to date on what's available and how most tanks are done these days.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 03:44 PM   #44
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Went to the house today. construction is coming along well. Here is the view as you walk into the front door. I had a number of questions of why I wanted to do 48 inches deep on the tank as that is a very deep tank. Simple- When someone walks into the house, I want a wall of water to hit them in the face. The red square is approximately where the tank will be:

Framing for the fish room is complete. As I stated, while the room is not deep, with the 3 large double doors, there will be plenty of access to the room.

Originally they were going to have the room 3 feet deep and then jut out to 4 feet deep. Why? to avoid covering the window that you see. I went in and said- why not just make it 3 feet deep but make it longer. Plenty of room for all the supplies that are going to go in there. this is why part of the room is depressed and the rest of the room is level with the garage. We will strategically place filtration to take advantage of the depression to control leaks and floods (hopefully there will be none of those)

The framing is officially complete as of tomorrow. Im sure they will have to come back and fix some odds and ends but next step is electrical wiring, plumbing, and insulation. Foam insulation in the whole house. I think we are 4-5 weeks before they finish the guts of the house and we start drywall.

Unread 02/03/2015, 04:01 PM   #45
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

I am courious. As this is going to be on the same floor as the tank, I have a few questions.

What is the drain area height off the floor? As in the back of the tank and water level?

Where is the sump going to be placed in the other room, in reference to water heigth?

If you think about those questions for a minute. If the water height is higher than the sump a good siphon will be in place, just from the overall water height/fall.

If the sump is high, in the fish room, then the water will not flow from the DT (display tank) to the sump.

Having it piped with continuous pipe is a good idea. Just be careful of low spots in the event a snail or fish gets in the pipe and gets stuck. How would you get it out? As in if a snail travels down, dies, then a fish takes a waterfall trip and gets stuck on the snail shell.

Just thinking out loud.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 04:03 PM   #46
A_CoupleClowns
Registered Member

Wow this is going to be radical!

I bet you are excited LOL!

A_CoupleClowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 04:05 PM   #47
A_CoupleClowns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Having it piped with continuous pipe is a good idea. Just be careful of low spots in the event a snail or fish gets in the pipe and gets stuck. How would you get it out? As in if a snail travels down, dies, then a fish takes a waterfall trip and gets stuck on the snail shell.

Just thinking out loud.
Possibly a burst of compressed air to blow it out like a potato cannon?

A_CoupleClowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 04:08 PM   #48
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Also add canister filters to the list of items no longer used.

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2015, 04:32 PM   #49
FishyFishy69
Registered Member

My god I wish I made money!!! haha.

Tagging along! Looks fantastic, though I would have the same concerns as worm in regards to the long pipe runs. Hopefully you have thought it all through and everything works out as planned.

Unread 02/03/2015, 05:19 PM   #50
dankreef
Registered Member

Looking sweet. Sick house. Keep updates of house coming.