Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2017, 07:52 AM   #1
jala
Registered Member

47"x39"x24"=Wavebox or not

Hello,
my aquarium has the dimensions 47"x39"x24", can I use a wavebox for it or will it not work?
Does it work better with 2?
If I add streamers do they bother more than help?

/Janne

jala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:55 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It will work, however the shorter and wider the tank, the shorter the wave height and it will also be faster, they work fairly well in a 4ft tank but wave will be not more than 3/4" and fairly fast. In general it should always be used with pumps, the wave has no direction and just rocks back and forth, it lifts and suspends debris, food, etc, but you want directional current from powerheads to move it to the filter.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 01:52 PM   #3
jala
Registered Member

Thanks for the answer, it sounds good. Is it enough with the 6208 or do I need the 6214.

/Janne

Unread 10/23/2017, 02:34 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would get the 6214, you are at the upper limit of what a 6208 can do. Are you sure the magnet holders will work for your glass thickness? I would imagine a tank with this much volume has very thick glass.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 10/24/2017, 11:17 AM   #5
jala
Registered Member

Okay thanks! I go for the 6214 and the glass thickness is no problem.

My main interest is Acropora so I've always had a lot of circulation, if I did not have a wavebox, I would go for 4 6105.

But I would like the smaller 6095, do you think 4 6095 will suffice when I have a wavebox?

I usually drive them 2 and 2 and turn the water stream back and forth.

By the way, you may have any other suggestions?

/Janne

Unread 10/24/2017, 12:24 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is difficult to say, 4 6095 should be enough with the wave box, but when I read about some experts SPS tanks, they seem to imply the flow can almost never be enough and the complication I see is acros vary widely in how much flow they need. Given that the cost difference is not that much, it might be smarter to go with 6105s and be able to turn them down, but if this was a mixture of SPS without too much emphasis on really exotic types of acropora, especially tables and thick branch types known to be high flow, I think the 6095s are more than adequate.