Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 11:45 AM   #1
devildog999
That Guy

Pump Recommendation

Wanting to get a pump to move water from a 20ish gallong sump (to be designed) to a 40g breeder. I'm used to buying systems, not designing them so not sure what pump would be good for this. Freshwater system and I'd prefer a pump that is submerged in the sump.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 12:37 PM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

You can measure the distance you need the water to travel. Then take into account any 90 degree elbows that will be in the line. From there estimate the flow intensity you're seeking. That'll be the "head pressure." Then you can search any make/model pump and choose one with the desired head pressure at your specific travel length.

Unread 11/20/2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I have sort of the same setup, 44 gallon shallow with a 40gal breeder as a sump. 60gal total water volume. I went with a Jebao DCP-8000 which is 2100GPH pump. But it's a DC pump so you can tune the flow to where you want, I currently have it set for approx 44%. I bought oversized as I wanted it to be able to run whatever reactors I wanted to add as well as my Algae Scrubber. Way less clutter in the sump that way just a manifold.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 06:13 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. what is the vertical distance from sump to top of display tank... Thats your "head height" basically..
Then in general shoot for 3-5x display tank size at that head height..
Pumps always have chart showing how much they pump to what heights..

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:22 PM   #5
devildog999
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
You can measure the distance you need the water to travel. Then take into account any 90 degree elbows that will be in the line. From there estimate the flow intensity you're seeking. That'll be the "head pressure." Then you can search any make/model pump and choose one with the desired head pressure at your specific travel length.
Haven'd done that in a while, appreciate the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
I have sort of the same setup, 44 gallon shallow with a 40gal breeder as a sump. 60gal total water volume. I went with a Jebao DCP-8000 which is 2100GPH pump. But it's a DC pump so you can tune the flow to where you want, I currently have it set for approx 44%. I bought oversized as I wanted it to be able to run whatever reactors I wanted to add as well as my Algae Scrubber. Way less clutter in the sump that way just a manifold.
This one being a freshwater setup, luckily I won't have to worry about all that. Thinking mostly a drip box with bioballs and some carbon and pads.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post

This one being a freshwater setup, luckily I won't have to worry about all that. Thinking mostly a drip box with bioballs and some carbon and pads.
I assumed saltwater since it's a reef forum. lol

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote