Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 02:25 PM   #276
Chasmodes
Registered Member

If my tank ever gets to that, I guess I know that things are working out as they should, but it will be up to me to be the "master of puppets" over my tank and sump/fuge.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:28 AM   #277
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of the 20g long for those looking for updates and don't have time for videos. I have a couple more videos that I'll post later today. I have to do some work on them first.

Full Tank Shot:

Two colonies of tunicates (sea squirts):

A couple blennies surrounding a patch of green hair algae:

A pair of grass shrimp:

A tunicate that found its way into an empty oyster shell. It was attached to the red macroalgae (gracilaria sp.?) in the foreground. I have no idea how it wound up in the oyster shell. My hunch is that either a fish or mud crab moved it there, probably the former.

A close up of the tunicate colony:

If you zoom in on the center of the above pic, on one of the tunicates is an encrusting bryozoan colony. I can't tell if it is alive or not. I don't see tentacles, so maybe not. I hope it's alive though, that would be really cool. If it isn't, it is still encouraging because these tunicates probably spent their entire lives at this location, so the chances of me finding more live bryozoans are pretty good. I'm optimistic.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:45 AM   #278
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I finished with the last two videos. Hope you like them. Sorry for them being shaky at times. I was using a tripod and sometimes when you re-position the camera, the tripod sticks even though I loosened everything. I need to find another way to do it.

In this video, you can see a live barnacle at the 50 second mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic32kpoT5Fo&t=19s

I kept the camera focused on the largest cultch in the area where the blennies are the most active. It is fun to watch them pop in and out of their hidey holes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWzTtVySdFs&t=178s

Thanks for watching and checking out my thread. I hope you like the videos. I watch them every chance that I get when I'm away from my tank!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/21/2017, 08:52 AM   #279
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great pics and videos! The vids especially give us a glimpse of everyday life in your tanks. Fun stuff! You have something quite special there.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 08:59 AM   #280
McPuff
Registered Member

I love the diversity you've got in there! So much more natural (obviously the goal!). The tunicates are very cool as well.

Really looking forward to the main attraction. If it's anything like what you've already got, it's going to be special.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 04:58 PM   #281
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you McPuff!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/28/2017, 08:10 AM   #282
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Update: I purchased some bottled phytoplankton to feed the barnacle, tunicates and mussels that are in both tanks. The bottle directions state that it is concentrated and you only need to add one capful per 50 gallons twice per week. Since I have a good many filter feeding organisms, I'm going to do this three times per week and see how it goes. I may have to look into culturing my own. I also purchased some ChemiClean to eradicate the cyanobacteria, but haven't applied it yet. The longer dark periods seem to keep it at bay. I don't care too much if I see a little of it, but it was getting nasty and taking over the tank. I have this product in my back pocket if I need it.

Rather than ramble on, I figured I'd post some more Chesapeake Bay Brackish eye candy...In the 20g long, I moved a shell with tunicates and a couple mussels on one side of it up and wedged it tightly to the right cultch. I think it looks great, plus, it's easier to observe them. This goby found it to be his favorite hang out:

Here's a view of the cultch with the new addition:

Full Tank Shot:

A few blenny pics:

Can't forget the skilletfish:

I thought that this was a tunicate, and until I inspect it closer, it could still be one covered with unknown material or organisms. But, it occurred to me that it could be a stickleback nest. We did catch one stickleback during that last collecting trip. That fish currently resides in QT at the Glen Echo Park Aquarium:

And guess what showed up in my 20g high tank of death? I was excited to find new life! I believe this to be the ghost anemone, Diadumene leucolena:

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/28/2017, 09:22 AM   #283
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You're getting some great pics! Very cool stuff. Congrats on the new nem! How big is it? How big do they get?

Adding phytoplankton should give you excellent results. I add some too, but not on a rigid schedule. Culturing your own is a good idea. I wish I had the gumption!

I love all the new diversity you're getting.

Unread 11/28/2017, 09:36 AM   #284
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael!

These anemones are small, reaching a length of about 1.5" and a width of about 1/2" to 3/4". They will eat tiny fish, so I take it that means fry. If my fish ever spawn, I'd have to remove the fry to rear them so that other fish won't eat them, or the parents. But, there are other threats to them now. It's all good! Time will tell if these anemones become a pest like aiptasia or not, or if they're a welcome addition to the reef. Right now, I think that they look cool. There is zero info about keeping them in aquaria and the impact on the tank ecosystem.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/28/2017, 10:03 AM   #285
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It sounds like you're in the same boat as me, with your nems, and my sea hares - a lack of good info on them. I suspect they'll do well in your tank. My aiptasias are good at capturing food when I feed the tank.

Will you attempt to raise fry if your fish spawn?

Unread 11/28/2017, 11:10 AM   #286
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I may not try at first, but from what I've learned from a buddy that raises Florida Blennies (C. saburrae), once they pair up, the keep on breeding and breeding. So, eventually when I'm set up to do it, I will try. So far, no breeding activity to date.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/28/2017, 01:05 PM   #287
Subsea
Registered Member

Kevin,
I so much like your biotheme. Both you and Michael have kept grass/ghost shrimp. They seem to me to be very similar to Peppermint Shrimp in there needs. Normally a third smaller than peppermints. As best I know, I have collected these, Palaemonetes vulgarisms, in both fresh water ponds and salt water marshes.

Https://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ShrimpJanitor.htm

I plan on collecting these first, in the Austin area, then traveling to Texas Gulf Coast. By having winter hardy livestock in 500G outside propagation tank, I will not incur the electrical cost to heat water to tropical temperatures.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 01:49 PM   #288
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Patrick. Yes, the grass/ghost shrimp stocking has far exceeded my expectations. They have a 6 month life span from what I've read, so I think that most likely restocking is a good plan unless you can get a self sustaining population. I suspect that my fish eat the eggs (caught them in the act once) and also eat the larvae or they're filtered out mechanically. But for me, restocking is easy as they're available year round in shallow water. I always thought that my fish would eat them all, but they have only killed a few that I know of.

I really enjoy not having to worry about heating my tanks. These fish and critters are used to large temperature swings. Just last week within a day or two, the Bay water temps dropped from 56 degrees to the mid 40's. When we were collecting, we caught everything except for the blennies. This supports what I've read about them that they head for deep water when the temps cool down. I don't know what the temperature trigger is for that migration. I hope to learn that some day based on my collections record keeping. All of the fish and shrimp were much less actively trying to escape, probably due to the sharp temperature drop. We also caught far fewer mud crabs. I suspect that they bury into the mud in the cold.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/29/2017, 07:18 AM   #289
McPuff
Registered Member

Again, I REALLY like the aqua scaping you've done. It looks very natural to me.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 11:49 AM   #290
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you McPuff!

Well, I found out what the ball like structure is, but have no clue what is covering it (second to the last pic in my post above). I pulled it out of the Gracilaria and got examined it. While examining, it was blob like, kind of like a tunicate, so I thought that it might be a tunicate, but wasn't sure. So, I placed it on the substrate near the front of the glass to observe it, and last night I noticed one siphon. So, I confirmed that it is indeed a tunicate. I have no idea what is covering it. I'll have to get a closer pic tonight.

Also, the new anemone eats flakes and brine shrimp

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/29/2017, 12:53 PM   #291
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool! I love it when unknown stuff shows up. The syphon could indicate a sponge, but I bet you are right, and it is a tunicate. Have you collected any local substrate? That would add to your food chain, giving you a cast of thousands to help process detritus. Tank looks great! And great job keeping us entertained with vids and pics!

Unread 11/29/2017, 01:36 PM   #292
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael!

I hope it isn't a sponge because I took it out of the water and I heard that kills sponges...DOH! But, I think it is a tunicate, so I'm not worried. The siphon looks like the others.

On my last trip, there was a little mid in the collection container and I added that to my tank. But, I haven't collected any sand or mud yet, but that is a goal of mine for sure, especially if I want to grow grasses. I keep forgetting to do it, LOL. I get so fired up collecting critters that it slips my mind on those trips. I need those and mud snails to round out my bottom up build that I'm building top down, LOL.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/30/2017, 09:56 AM   #293
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Subsea,

There are about 19 species of bryozoans in the bay, but I'm not sure how many venture up to where we collect with the SG at 1.014-1.016. This colony just appeared about 2 weeks after I set up the tank. The only things that I introduced into the tank were the fish, crabs, shrimp, some macro alga, a couple clumps of widgeon grass, and some empty oyster shells. Two colonies formed in the darker areas of the tank, near the corner on the side glass. They are still growing, albeit a lot slower now.

Most likely the shrimp that I have are the common grass shrimp (Palaemonetes pugio). https://www.chesapeakebay.net/S=0/fi...n_grass_shrimp

The bryozoans in the nutrient rich warm waters of GOM rival the colors of the Rainbow in the “Wizard of Oz”.

http://www.gulfliverock.com/premium-...tive-rock.html

Unread 11/30/2017, 10:38 AM   #294
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Patrick.

I wish that was true for bay life, but the ones in my tank are totally transparent. I noticed some encrusting bryozoans on one of the tunicates that I recently collected, but I think don't think that they're alive, but I need to examine more closely to see if individual animals are in there. They appear just like the fossilized ones that I've collected. I'll try and get a picture. You can see them in the tunicate video that I posted above.

Eventually, I'd like to try my hand at some red-beard sponge, they are quite colorful and would really spice up the tank. But, two things need to happen, a bit more maturation of my tank (specifically the lower parts of the food chain), increase my SG to about 1.018-1.019, and then to collect some further South where the Bay is saltier. At that point, a few hermit crabs would be a nice addition too. I might also have a shot at collecting some spotfin butterflies. Time will tell, as each collecting trip is an adventure.

That is one thing about an oyster reef, especially in the less salty areas, they are a bit drab. There are subtle splashes of color, but nothing in comparison to tropical reefs. For example, on mature striped blennies, they exhibit some orange hues to their fins and a bright blue dorsal fin spot. Good lighting accentuates those traits, but until they start to breed or defend oyster shells, those colors don't pop. Same goes with the feather blennies in the Bay. The naked gobies get hints of red or yellow on their dorsal fin edges and their tails, but not bright. Mummichog males have yellow or orange bordered anal fins, and sheepshead minnow males have bright blue reflective streaks along their cheeks and sides, with orange tinted fins. But, again, subtle. It seems that camoflage is key, and since oysters and most sessile Bay critters are brownish, so are the critters that hide in and around them.

I'm OK with that though, because it is the behavior and personality of the fish that intrigue me anyway.

That said, if I hit the lotto, I'd have a Caribbean biotope reef tank with a queen angel as the centerpiece fish, and lots of gulf live rock

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/06/2017, 08:43 AM   #295
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Update:

No pics or vids this time, sorry. I've been sick and haven't had the energy lately.

In both of my tanks, I've noticed that there is a decent population of copepods and other tiny life forms on my front glass. I assume that they're all over the tank, but they're very tough to see. I found another barnacle that I didn't know that I had. I've been feeding the filter feeders 3 times per week, 1.5 cap fulls each time of the bottled phytoplankton. We will see if that works. So far, the mussels are open a lot more, the tunicates seem like they're doing well, the pod population has grown, the barnacles are out scooping up food more, and the ghost anemone is doing very well. I found a small tunicate under a razor clam that was not there before, so I think that perhaps they've spawned at least once in the tank.

I cleaned the glass in the 20g long last night. The pods are interesting to watch, but, I need to see my fish, so I wiped them away along with the algae that they were eating. The skilletfish are the most brave fish in my tank, almost always first to my hand to receive food. Last night, when I cleaned the glass with my magnet algae scraper, all of the fish scurry for cover during that time, except one skilletfish that bravely clung to the glass that I was trying to clean. He would not get out of the way! I had to nudge him with my finger so I could clean that 2" square spot that he was clinging to. And, he resisted, not wanting to move. I was laughing the whole time

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:26 AM   #296
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Glad to hear you're better! Wow, you've got a lot of Nature going on in your tanks! Sweet! That's so funny about your skillet fish. I have a similar situation with my female sailfin blenny. When I've got my hand in the tank, ripping out overgrown macros, she follows along, picking off pods-I think. She's so bold, sitting and waiting only inches from my hand. She's like a bird following a lawn mower!

Unread 12/06/2017, 11:35 AM   #297
Subsea
Registered Member

Ghost Shrimp Are the Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Thanks Patrick.

I wish that was true for bay life, but the ones in my tank are totally transparent. I noticed some encrusting bryozoans on one of the tunicates that I recently collected, but I think don't think that they're alive, but I need to examine more closely to see if individual animals are in there. They appear just like the fossilized ones that I've collected. I'll try and get a picture. You can see them in the tunicate video that I posted above.

Eventually, I'd like to try my hand at some red-beard sponge, they are quite colorful and would really spice up the tank. But, two things need to happen, a bit more maturation of my tank (specifically the lower parts of the food chain), increase my SG to about 1.018-1.019, and then to collect some further South where the Bay is saltier. At that point, a few hermit crabs would be a nice addition too. I might also have a shot at collecting some spotfin butterflies. Time will tell, as each collecting trip is an adventure.

That is one thing about an oyster reef, especially in the less salty areas, they are a bit drab. There are subtle splashes of color, but nothing in comparison to tropical reefs. For example, on mature striped blennies, they exhibit some orange hues to their fins and a bright blue dorsal fin spot. Good lighting accentuates those traits, but until they start to breed or defend oyster shells, those colors don't pop. Same goes with the feather blennies in the Bay. The naked gobies get hints of red or yellow on their dorsal fin edges and their tails, but not bright. Mummichog males have yellow or orange bordered anal fins, and sheepshead minnow males have bright blue reflective streaks along their cheeks and sides, with orange tinted fins. But, again, subtle. It seems that camoflage is key, and since oysters and most sessile Bay critters are brownish, so are the critters that hide in and around them.

I'm OK with that though, because it is the behavior and personality of the fish that intrigue me anyway.

That said, if I hit the lotto, I'd have a Caribbean biotope reef tank with a queen angel as the centerpiece fish, and lots of gulf live rock

Kevin,

Your tank is far from drab. It is so interesting. I just did watch your utube vidio, “Up close & personal with Blennies”. I had no idea of their speed. With respect to bottom of food chain, in addition to phyto, feed your fish live bivalve flesh. I buy live mussels from HEB here in Austin. The corals and other filter feeders love it. Without a doubt, you would be adding live gut cavity bacteria to help fish immune systems. You would probably be carbon dosing at the same time. Have you tried keeping live oysters, clams or mussels. On some of my Gulf live rock, I have clams alive for > 7 years.

I think we have the same Ghost Shrimp in our local fresh water ponds. For certain, they are in the Texas Gulf Coast. I will make a fishing/collection trip to Corpus. Tell me about Sheepshead Minnows. I am interested in janitors that double as live food. Green Mollies, Sheepshead Minnows, Ghost or Grass Shrimp and pods in the grass flats. It is my hope that wild caught can stand fluctuating temperatures common during our winters. With three differrent macro algae’s, Caulerpa Prolifera, Ulva and Chaetomorphy are each in their own 150G Rubbermade tank buried in the ground for geothermal heat transfer. Six years ago, I did this during the coldest Austin winter in 100 years. The cost to heat water to 70 degrees was too much and I ended the project. The tank lay dormant until three months ago. I decided to “just do it”, because I have dreamed it for 40 years. So, we will see the cost to maintain > 55 degrees. Today, it is low 40’s all day and mid 30 degrees tonight. I will put a third 300W heater for the night. Understand this, 900W of heat is close to 1.5 HP. That cost accumulates fast.

https://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ShrimpJanitor.htm

Unread 12/06/2017, 01:59 PM   #298
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Patrick. My fish killed and ate the live razor clams that I added to the tank, hoping to add to the species diversity. Instead, I introduced food unintentionally. I've been feeding frozen seafood to my fish and they love it, but I see the value in using live food. Future collecting trips will yield live bivalves to feed them with, as well as trips to the local stores.

I currently have two mussels in the 20g long with the tunicates, and about 1/2 dozen mussels in the 20g high, also with tunicates. I have yet to keep a live oyster or clam. I wouldn't rule it out. If I do, I'd hope they'd spawn now and then, that would be welcome food for competing filter feeders as well as the micro-organisms.

As far as sheepshead minnows go, I don't have any in my tanks now, but have kept them in the past. They can handle extreme temperatures, from near 100 in the shallows in the summer to living in the shallows under the ice along shoreline marshes. I'm pretty sure they'd be OK in your neck of the woods. The key if your pond freezes over isn't so much that the water would be too cold, but lack of oxygen becomes the problem in too small of a space. Sheepshead minnows in the wild have a vast area to explore with plenty of oxygen. So, a bubbler would be a must to allow some circulation and O2 exchange unless your pond is large. I would think mummichogs or their close cousins would be OK as well in such a setup. My guess is that a bubbler would be cheaper to operate than a heater. Mollies might be more sensitive to a cold climate.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/06/2017, 02:37 PM   #299
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Although, I read about someone in NC that had a 360 gallon tub freeze solid, but you're a bit further South. So, maybe a heater is a good thing. On the forum that I told you about, someone mentioned a cheap heater solution, although I think it was the cost of the unit, not the power used that he was talking about. I'll look into that further. There must be a cost effective solution out there. But, I don't think you need to worry about keeping it that warm. Sheepshead minnows are active in the shallows of Maryland currently with water temps in the mid 40's. You can see them in the shallows everywhere (along with other species of killifish).

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 12/06/2017, 06:31 PM   #300
Subsea
Registered Member

Kevin, would you do me a favor. I just posted a thread on Ghost Shrimp. Please contribute with some of your pictures. The “Up close & personal vidio is a must. When I saw the Ghost Shrimp swim boldly in the open, I thought now they will not last long like that.