Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2017, 03:15 AM   #26
Randy27
Registered Member

Any updates? Following along

Randy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 10:11 AM   #27
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Great to hear!

I think we are going to move everything into the basement tomorrow. I should have some pictures up if everything goes well.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 09:34 AM   #28
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Everything is moved in. It was a bit tricky getting the whole system plumbed together, but I got it.

My display fuge has a few inches of fine sand and some corser sand will be added today.

My question is: should I go ahead and get some seagrasses and mud to add, or would it be better to let the tank mature a bit? I do worry about adding muddy substrate to an established system. I have been trying to read as much as possible, but the information and anecdotal experiences on seagrasses are much more limited than stony corals.

Unread 07/16/2017, 04:48 PM   #29
WheatyBits12
Registered Member

Can you explain why you are worried about adding muddy substrate to an established system?

WheatyBits12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 05:53 PM   #30
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I'm mostly worried about all the gunk in the mud that might impact the SPS tank that is plumbed into this system. It may be paranoid, non-evidence based worries.

So, I was vasilating over whether or not I liked the foam structure. I also heard the concerns from everyone here, that was making me want to rethink things. Well, the foam made the decision for me. After the tank was up for 3 days, the entire thing detached. It made an incredible noise and I thought I blew out the PVC or my stand cracked. I am now just going to have minimal amounts of live rock to leave room for the algae and grasses. I think it will look better.

I will post pictures as soon as it clears up. The foam earthquake really shook up the tank.

Unread 07/18/2017, 10:30 AM   #31
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's a big commitment adding mud. It's scary!

Whenever I add it, I always have fine sand, ready to go as well. Right after I add the mud, I add the sand on top of it IMMEDIATELY. This will help avoid getting the mud everywhere. I use a plastic cola bottle with the bottom cut out, invert and fill with sand, like a funnel. I put my finger over the opening and direct the sand right where I want it.

No need to wait on plants. The cycle/biological filtration competes with plants. Plus you already have an established tank attached, right?

Sorry to hear about your foam scape. Buoyancy is a very powerful thing. I like your idea of minimal live rock and more room for plants.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 10:34 AM   #32
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

The system is reasonably established, but not the sand. I brought over all the live rock plus more.

The Photobucket episode made it a pain to post pictures, so I haven't yet. I ordered a few macro algae and a couple seagrass sprigs (shoal and turtle) to give everything a shot. I want to see if I can get by with my current amount of substrate (~6" on the thick end). If not,I will add more later.

Unread 07/19/2017, 12:40 PM   #33
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Six inches should be close to enough for the turtle grass. My shoal grass only grows an inch or two deep, so you may be good! Getting that sand alive will help. You can buy the critters themselves, or live substrates filled with the critters. I recommend GCE's live sand and Florida Pets live mud.

Unread 07/19/2017, 05:10 PM   #34
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I added a bunch of my previous sand that is pretty mucky, but I figure the new macros will soak up any of the goo they contained that could destroy my Acros. I added some macros today and some turtle and shoal grass. It was tricky to dig the substrate out deep enough for the turtle grass so as to not damage the roots, but I think I managed.

I also added a coral beauty angel. A fish I really like, but one I didn't want in my maincoral tank.

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:06 PM   #35
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Here is a shot of the room showing both tanks (before adding the macro/seagrass). The display refugium on the right is the focus of this thread.

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:10 PM   #36
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

FTS of the display fuge.

Unread 07/19/2017, 07:28 PM   #37
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

And with the algae/seagrass.

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:06 PM   #38
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks great! Nice pics too.

Unread 07/19/2017, 09:18 PM   #39
JZinCO
Registered Member

Lookin good!

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 03:47 PM   #40
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Thanks folks. To me, this is the perfect setup. I get to watch my SPS grow into interesting structures and colors on the left, and I get my natural looking algae/seagrass lagoon on the right.

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:35 PM   #41
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It is a cool setup! The best of both worlds!

Unread 07/27/2017, 06:39 AM   #42
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Looks fantastic! Sorry to hear about the foam wall coming loose.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 08:13 AM   #43
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I had the lights on the display refugium running reverse with the main display, for pH purposes. However, I didn't like always have one tank dark (or bright, for that matter). I like looking in on the tank with only the moon lights, and the blast of light from the adjacent tank prevented that.

At first, I thought the reverse cycle helped the pH stay up (based on Apex readings). However, I reversed the cycle two days before we left it n vacation for a week. When we returned, the pH dropped again despite the reverse pH cycle. It seems our biggest problem is our breathing, and I won't worry about solving the "problem" unless it turns out to be one. I'm going to slowly switch back to synchronized, as to not freak out the coral beauty that lives in there.

Unread 08/06/2017, 10:30 AM   #44
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I can see how that could be annoying, the way you have them set up together. Having them on the same light schedule should be fine. The pH 'smoothing' is great but not absolutely necessary.

How's it coming along? I'd love to hear more about the challenges you have balancing the needs of both systems, and how you deal with them.

Unread 08/06/2017, 01:19 PM   #45
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

The turtle grass has dropped a few of the blades, but from my reading that seems normal after planting. I tried to be delicate with the roots, but it was a challenge. Each rhizome shoot has about 3 blades remaining now, and they look green and healthy. I moved my powerhead (an MP60) to the opposing end, because I kept finding grass shoots in the impeller. I don't know if they were falling off naturally or were being pulled out by the pump.

There is a coral beauty angel in there who seems to enjoy picking on the epiphytic algae, which might become a benefit.

The shoal grass seems to be doing well, and may have actually sprouted some new shoots. It is hard to say, as optimism has a funny way of influencing one's vision.

The macro algae all looks relatively healthy. I think I may have too much light for the Botryocladia in an attempt to keep the seagrasses happy and have the tank function as a waste removal for the SPS by blasting it with light. However, in response, the Botryocladia has turned to a beautiful dichromatic, with the grapes being a light pink and the branches retaining the dark red. I must say I prefer the look over what I typically see in macro algae tanks. I keep seeing the little grape clusters breaking off and making their way to the main display tank, but my Kole tang seems to think they are special treats.

Unread 08/07/2017, 03:36 PM   #46
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Here are a couple update pictures. A local was selling these stunning, multicolored RBTA. I have considered having this display refugium also be a tank to house species I love but don't want in my SPS tank. Thus, anemones seem to fit perfectly into this scenario. I'm going to make sure the anemones acclimate okay into the new tank, and then I will transfer my clown over.

Here are a couple of photos before they go into their requisite shrink/hide fiasco that has occurred with every BTA I have had.

Here is the Botryocladia in its new, peculiar coloration.

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:55 AM   #47
BonesCJ
Registered Member

Heads up, mine pretty much fell apart after going through the exact same color shift yours did, all the little balls just "popped" off, so keep your eyes on it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon Green Garden O Macros
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 05:46 AM   #48
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I turned my lights down a bit a few days ago to see if that helps. They seem stable now.

Unread 08/09/2017, 07:21 AM   #49
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonescj View Post
heads up, mine pretty much fell apart after going through the exact same color shift yours did, all the little balls just "popped" off, so keep your eyes on it.
+1

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 09:51 AM   #50
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How's it coming?