Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 10:25 AM   #401
taricha
Registered Member

Grrrr. I contaminated my culture I just got of parvocalanus pods with some tisbe (or similar).
I have strainers of 10, 25, 40, 150 & 250 microns.
I'm feeding live T-iso.
Ideas for isolating parvocalanus?

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 05:40 PM   #402
purpletang123
Registered Member

Hello, thank you for your contribution to the community. I tried multiple times to access the links and none of them work... I keep getting the (404 Not Found). Please check the issue and thank you once again.

purpletang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2018, 11:58 PM   #403
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Grrrr. I contaminated my culture I just got of parvocalanus pods with some tisbe (or similar).
I have strainers of 10, 25, 40, 150 & 250 microns.
I'm feeding live T-iso.
Ideas for isolating parvocalanus?

I think you’ll have to start over. There’s no way to be able to seperate by species using sieves. Only different sizes of animal. I always do that too. I just let what species of pod just take over. It’s near to impossible to maintain isolated cultures, especially at home. Make sure that you use good isolation techniques like keep cultures away from each other, plastic curtains, etc. I raise pods and rotifers for breeding fish and shrimp. Most of the time it doesn’t really matter if it’s contaminated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 12:06 AM   #404
Hodad2
Registered Member

If anyone need sieves or specifically sized aquaculture mesh for your culture projects I have a lot of sizes. Just send me a pm if u need anything.

Unread 09/10/2018, 12:11 AM   #405
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
I'll post this here because I didn't know why cultures were failing until it happened.

Some of the components used in growing phyto go bad over time.
My f/2 mix from Florida aqua farms grew me many many great liters of T-iso & nanno over 6-8 months. But then in the last month, I couldn't get any culture up and running.
The f/2 mix is susceptible to bacterial degrading over long time. Some products explicitly list expiration after months for this reason.

Another thing that I didn't know is susceptible to bacterial degrading is the sodium thiosulfate that neutralizes the bleach after sterilization.

On another note, every batch I'd ever cultured up from Phycopure Copepod Blend has produced T-iso and grown parvocalanus pods very well.
Except the last batch, which grew.....

...rhodomonas!

I’m having the same problem with f/2 from Florida Aquafarms. Last batch did not grow at all. They also do not carry much more than nannochloropsis disks. I’m wondering if they’re going out of business. That would be a shame. Are you getting contaminated source cultures from them ?

Unread 09/26/2020, 11:22 PM   #406
ErinAggie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodad2 View Post
If anyone need sieves or specifically sized aquaculture mesh for your culture projects I have a lot of sizes. Just send me a pm if u need anything.

I realize you posted this over a year ago, but if you’re still offering help with sieves/mesh, I’m in the market.

ErinAggie is offline   Reply With Quote