Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2020, 07:58 AM   #1
holyfireheart10
Registered Member

Question Bumblebee Shrimp Eats Clams?

Good morning! I just recently added 2 bumblebee shrimp to a 10 gallon nano tank, and had successfully fed them frozen brine shrimp via dropper. I added a 1 1/2" Derasa clam into the tank 2 days ago and has been acclimating nicely. This morning I woke up to turn the lights on and one of the bumblebee shrimp had pushed the clam over in the sand to expose the foot and was halfway inside the shell! I am not sure if the bumblebee was trying to eat the foot, however I separated the two and moved the clam to the far side of the tank temporarily. It has since opened up fully, however I am concerned it may be attacked again, and if I need to relocate it into my 29 gallon setup. Any advice is welcomed!!

holyfireheart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 06:06 AM   #2
4nReefer
Registered Member

I have 4 bumble bee snails in my tank with one maxima. They've lived together for over 2yrs now. Bumble bee snails so not eat live healthy clam. If the clam is dying everyone might want a piece of the dying meat though. Sometimes, while the crustaceans can fall into the hole of the clam. Most time though the clam will close up before that happens or spit them out. If the clam doesn't close up when the crustacean get too close to it or start to touch the mantle, that may be a sign of degrading health. With clams, its really hard to tell their health until it's over. Keep an eye on the clam, feed it some phyto every now and then. Make sure they get good light and most of all, don't worry about the snail, focus on the clams health. If the clam is healthy and happy, the snail wouldn't eat the clam. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 06:14 AM   #3
4nReefer
Registered Member

I have 4 bumble bee snails in my tank with one maxima. They've lived together for over 2yrs now. Bumble bee snails so not eat live healthy clam. If the clam is dying everyone might want a piece of the dying meat though. Sometimes, while the crustaceans can fall into the hole of the clam. Most time though the clam will close up before that happens or spit them out. If the clam doesn't close up when the crustacean get too close to it or start to touch the mantle, that may be a sign of degrading health. With clams, its really hard to tell their health until it's over. Keep an eye on the clam, feed it some phyto every now and then. Make sure they get good light and most of all, don't worry about the snail, focus on the clams health. If the clam is healthy and happy, the snail wouldn't eat the clam. Hope this helps.

Unread 11/24/2020, 08:09 AM   #4
holyfireheart10
Registered Member

Thanks, but I have the shrimp not the snails. The bumblebee shrimp are similar to harlequin shrimp and will eat the feet off of starfish. Im wondering if clams count or are similar enough for them to attack, and if I should relocate. Right now I have a net placed overtop the clam, so it can still get waterflow and light without being harassed

Unread 11/24/2020, 09:56 AM   #5
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfireheart10 View Post
Thanks, but I have the shrimp not the snails. The bumblebee shrimp are similar to harlequin shrimp and will eat the feet off of starfish. Im wondering if clams count or are similar enough for them to attack, and if I should relocate. Right now I have a net placed overtop the clam, so it can still get waterflow and light without being harassed
Sorry I just read it again and saw the shrimp not snail. I don't have much experience on the shrimp. But I did a little research, most people say its reef safe however I found the thread below, where most people seem to have the same issue as you do. That can be a pain in the behind. I had bought 2 camel shrimps that my lfs mistook for peppermint shrimp and lost 2 clams and some other corals to them had to break down my tank to get them out. The net idea seem smart but you might need to relocate one if it continues. Wish you luck Buddy.

https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/thr...-attack.15635/

Bumble bee shrimp on the attack!!??

Unread 11/24/2020, 12:33 PM   #6
holyfireheart10
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help!

Tags
clam, nano, nano 10 gallon, shrimp