Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2020, 02:40 PM   #1
HyperAquatics
Registered Member

Question Does anyone know an aquarium safe paint (not sprayable)

I'm currently changing a 40-gallon breeder, (that had an in-tank sump) to a reef tank, and after cleaning everything I realized that it would look a lot better if I could find some sort of black paint so I could paint the clear acrylic panel that houses the in-tank-sump black. I have done a little bit of research online and found people are using paints like Krylon fusion, but that doesn't really work for me as I just wanna be able to paint the panel by hand and not get spray paint everywhere, (obviously, I could just use tape but I don't really wanna do this). Does anyone know of any reef tank safe paints, that I could use to paint the panel that doesn't come in spray paint can? Thanks so much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishtankforumimage.jpg (57.9 KB, 16 views)

-
Current tank info, 40g fresh and 20g Salt
HyperAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This is challenging because most of the time the black paint is going on the OUTSIDE of the back glass. Since you are trying to paint inside the tank, you have to be very careful with what paint you choose. Sorry, I don't have an answer, but, as an alternative, you could get a thin piece of black acrylic and silicone it into place.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2020, 09:10 PM   #3
aaronpentz
Registered Member

Why not just order a peice of black acrylic and cut it to the same profile of the back wall. Then just silicone it in place. Or let it rest but have the sand and rocks hold it in location

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

I'll reiterate what they said - get a piece of acrylic and silicone it in place. If you want paint that will stick to well glass long term get a 2 part marine epoxy paint and be sure to rough up the glass surface with some wet/dry sand paper first.

Unread 12/13/2020, 03:20 PM   #5
bhbell
Registered Member

Dont know if you already took action on this, but if using the Marine Epoxy, make sure it does not have copper in it. A copper is added to some to reduce fouling.

bhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2020, 12:35 AM   #6
HyperAquatics
Registered Member

thanks, guys, yea I ended up deciding anyways that I'm just gonna redo it with black acrylic like everyone here seems to think aswell.

-
Current tank info, 40g fresh and 20g Salt
HyperAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building, paint, reef safe, reef tank, reef tank builds