Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2020, 05:15 PM   #1
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Do Yellow Tangs Eat Seagrass?

Hi. I put some shoal grass in my 125g tank and the yellow tang devoured them. Has this happened to anyone else? I want to know if I just have a "defective" tang and I can swap it out for a different one or if all yellows eat seagrass.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, I haven't heard of that. I've read that seagrass is too fibrous to interest tangs. I had an Atlantic Blue Tang and it never touched my Manatee Grass. But I also had a ton of macros to choose from.

Was your shoal grass the only plant in the tank? Do you have any other plants to offer it, like macros? It would likely choose them over seagrass.

Now that it has a taste for it, you likely have to choose one or the other. The Ctenochaetus Tangs might be a better choice, since their mouths are designed to scrape detritus, and seagrass tends to collect detritus.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2020, 07:40 AM   #3
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Yeah, I thought they didn't eat it, I guess I just got a weirdo.

The only other macro I have in the tank is sargassum, and I put a fair amount of seaweed in the clip twice a day.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try a Kole tang or a different yellow.

Unread 01/08/2020, 08:42 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for posting that. I have lots of shoal grass now, but no tangs, so I haven't seen that happen. I imagine it must be easier to eat than manatee or turtle grass.

One other thing to consider, is the order of adding the grass and a tang. For some reason, fish see stuff in the tank before them as just scenery. Stuff you put in AFTER them, they see as food, especially if the plants are in rough shape. Try getting your grass in and established BEFORE adding a tang.

I have a little bit of sargassum too. Is yours free-floating or attached? I have a couple of small plants growing from my live rock. They've never taken off, probably because they aren't in very bright light. I'm hoping they have a seasonal uptick in growth, so maybe this spring they'll get bigger.

Unread 01/08/2020, 10:12 AM   #5
ThePurple12
Registered Member

That might have something to do with it. I put the grass in after the tang.

My sargassum is attached. It was growing very quickly under low light in my other tank. I just fragged a piece and moved it to my high-light reef tank, so I'm excited to see how it grows.

Unread 01/19/2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How's that sargassum weed doing in your reef? I would think it would like the high lighting. Though I'm not sure it will like the lower nutrients. Any luck with it?

Unread 11/30/2020, 05:47 AM   #7
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Whoops, didn't see this! Yes, it's doing fine, but keeping it attached can be a pain.

Unread 11/30/2020, 08:59 AM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That has been my experience with ALL macros. I've tried super glue, rubber bands and fishing line. The only thing that worked is sandwiching plants between two rocks, or just putting a rock on top of them.

I have two sargassum plants growing from live rocks, that have been in low light. They have remained stubby and compact. In recent fiddling, I've moved them into more light. One has shown new growth and I'm hoping it will grow to long length. This is one of the plants I was trying to encourage, by cutting back the red grapes and grasilaria. I'd love to have it grow all the way to the surface. We'll see!

Unread 11/30/2020, 09:44 AM   #9
vlangel
Registered Member

I love sargassum and hope to also add it someday.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote