Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2005, 08:03 AM   #26
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Hey thrlride,

Followed your 90 buildup and now this one. About your baffles. How much spacing did you use between as well as off the bottom of the sump? I know spacing depends on how much flow you plan to have, so any thoughts on what size return pump yet??

Reason being is that I'm setting up my 150 and have to glue baffles into my sump as well. I'm using an Iwaki MD70 RLT so I would think spacing would need to be pretty wide. Any thoughts?

GoldStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 08:37 AM   #27
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Looks good thrl.

I recently purchased a G4-x for my 120 and it is a beast. I would recirc it along w/ the gate valve mod to get the most out of the skimmer. Feed it from one of your overflows and you'll be better some nasty skimmate in no time.

Chris

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 08:45 AM   #28
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Thanks guys!

I am planning the g4x for this tank so I made the skimmer section big enough to fit the skimmer if I go the recirc route as well as the gate valve mod. In fact, I just did the gatevalve mod to my G3 I have on the 90 and so far I like it.

GoldStripe:

I have the spacing in between the baffles at 2" and the spacing off the floor was 1.5". The reason for the difference is simple, I messed up when telling Lowes what size to cut the glass.

Measure twice, cut once. say it with me, measure twice cut once.

I plan on using the panworld pump I have until I can buy a reeflo dart pump. The dart is way overkill but it is still better suited for the flow I want with energy efficiency and cost.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 09:28 AM   #29
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Thanks thrlride.

So ideally you would have had the baffle 2" off the floor??

GoldStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 11:09 AM   #30
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Yeah, ideally I would have spaced them equally. I don't think it will be a problem though since this sump is 18" wide. I don't think the velocity will be there.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
Unread 10/14/2005, 11:20 AM   #31
jay24k
Registered Member

A buddy has one similiar to yours with a panworld 1200gph through is sump. I can't recall if it's a 75 but it's close if it isn't. Major microbubbles. I would tone it down to about 900 gph if you can. You can always tune it with a ball valve though

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 12:19 PM   #32
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Thanks for the suggestion jay24k! I will have a ballvalve on the output of this pump for sure.

Unread 10/14/2005, 05:33 PM   #33
jay24k
Registered Member

Our daughters are growing up fast huh? I need to get an updated picture too. I wish I would of got a g4x if I had the room.

Unread 10/14/2005, 05:41 PM   #34
Psyire
Premium Member

You'll love the 40" tall stand. I have my 180g on a 40" stand and it's great. Plus it allowed me to use a 32" tall Skimmer. Great choice!

Psyire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 08:02 PM   #35
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

How old is your daughter? Mine is a little over 2 1/2. They are growing up way too fast!

The plan with the 40" stand was so I could fit a larger skimmer in there. If the G3 suffices I may stick with it but I imagine the G4x would probably do a little better.

Unread 10/14/2005, 08:24 PM   #36
bigben
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
They are growing up way too fast!
that's just what i thought when i saw the new pic. she's getting big! is she having boy problems yet ?

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 08:26 PM   #37
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

LOL,

She supposedly has a boyfriend at daycare named zachary, he's not my friend.

Unread 10/14/2005, 10:17 PM   #38
andyjd
International Nomad

You decided on a tank yet ?

I see in your other thread you mentioned AGA..I'd go with Oceanic rather than AGA..i know its the same company but the Oceanic seems better made (I have an AGA & a Oceanic)

Disclamier: I'm no expert, just something I have observed having looked at the two side by side.

andyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 11:43 PM   #39
Gawain1974
dc fanboy

Hey Ryan...nice to see you've got your 180 project going. I'm just green with envy. When are you going to come up here and build a stand and canopy for me?

I'm looking forward to seeing the final stand/canopy combo. Are you going to put the wood strips on the corners of the glass like you did on your 90? That looks really sharp!

Unread 10/15/2005, 06:01 AM   #40
jay24k
Registered Member

I'll have to disagree on the better made. I've read more problems with Oceanic then with AGA. However, I think both make good tanks and from what I've seen all the silicone area looked great. I own an AGA.

My daughter turned 3 in August. Luckily she doesn't go to day care so no boyfriend for her. I figure around age 12, I'll lock her up till she turns 30.

Unread 10/15/2005, 08:26 AM   #41
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

jay24k: Wow, your daughter looks older than three! I had no clue how old but I was thinking more than that.

andyjd: My only other option I am even considering would be a low iron Glasscages tank but all the negative press I see scares me. If I can find a used one somewhat locally I will consider any brand to save a buck or two as long as the tank is in perfect condition.

I'm also leaving the possibility open for a 210 or 180. The extra height will be a pain to clean but more swimming room for the fish would be nice too especially if the corals grow up nice and tall.

Unread 10/15/2005, 08:31 AM   #42
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
Hey Ryan...nice to see you've got your 180 project going. I'm just green with envy. When are you going to come up here and build a stand and canopy for me?

I'm looking forward to seeing the final stand/canopy combo. Are you going to put the wood strips on the corners of the glass like you did on your 90? That looks really sharp!
I'm going to model the new stand and canopy very close to this one. I really like how the project came out. The only thing I am unsure of is on the doors. I am going to do the same routing but I don't know if I am going to do two doors or four. I really don't want to do four though!

I don't think two larger doors would look bad, do you guys? The center divider will be about 4" since there is a 2x4 there. The doors will not be so close to the edge either as there is a 2x6 there instead of a 2x4.

So, the doors should only be about 9" wider each I'm thinking. Keep in mind the stand is 4" taller as well so the doors will be taller than these.

For the canopy the only change I am planning is not using a frame. I'm going to glue and screw the plywood together being sure to predrill the holes so I don't split it.

I will paint both white again on the inside, this time I am going to use more of a semigloss for ease of cleaning.

Unread 10/26/2005, 11:03 PM   #43
kbxiong67
Registered Member

Hey thrlride,

Question about your 90g....did you ever have a problem with your yellow and purple tang together? I'd love to have that combo.

kbxiong67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 07:25 AM   #44
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

I was worried about mixing the two due to them being the same species and they got along fine.

I hate to say it though, one day the purple tang was stuck to my SEIO powerhead and he never recovered. A few weeks later the yellow was on the sandbed. No other fish were lost so I don't know what happened... There was no apparent illness or disease either.

Unread 10/27/2005, 07:55 AM   #45
5y5tem 0verload
Registered Member

Hey Ryan,

Glad you finally got this started. Your 90 turned out great and I'll expect the same from this one. I'm working with the wholeseller this week on the final configuration of my 225. Holes, overflows, etc. Looks like we're doing our next tanks at the same time also. I just hope this one doesn't take as long as the last. Wife made me buy a stand and canopy this time. She doesn't want the garage tied up for a year. Keep the updates coming.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
5y5tem 0verload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 08:21 AM   #46
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

LOL, you probably came out cheaper buying a stand and canopy.

225 huh, what are the dimensions of that one?

Unread 10/27/2005, 08:34 AM   #47
Airman
Registered Member

It looks like a good start. I'm planning a 180 in the future so I will be watching you.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal, DSB, protein skimmer, UV light, Sump/Refugium
Airman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2005, 08:47 AM   #48
5y5tem 0verload
Registered Member

72"L x 30"W x 24"H are the dimensions. My wife doesn't think it's cheaper! It's probably actually pretty close to the price of the one I built last time after you figure in wood, paint, hardware, time, new powertools, etc. It's going to have a Spanish Oak finish. Here's the thread I started for it. I'm still up in the air on 1 center overflow or 2 corners. I'm leaning towards the center if the manuf. can keep the depth of the box less then 5". Not sure if that's possible since one of the drains is going to have a 1½" bulkhead in it. So we'll see.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
5y5tem 0verload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2005, 08:21 AM   #49
bigben
Premium Member

alright, i need an update fix. have you done anything more on this setup, or are you too busy eating your daughter's halloween candy?

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2005, 12:56 PM   #50
countertopguy
Registered Member

Thrl-

You mentioned using screws to put together the hood. May I suggest one of these...

It is a Kreg pocket screw jig. They are about $20 bucks at Lowes. It will make assembling your hood fast and easy. Plus no screw holes.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal. AGA Mixed reef, ER 6-2, Iwaki MD55 RLT on CL, 2-250wMH. 2-110w VHO (actinic) DIY kalk reactor DIY auto top off semi-automated waterchange Click my red house to see my tank thread
countertopguy is offline   Reply With Quote