Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 03/09/2009, 04:50 PM   #251
kudora
thread reader

hehe nice, yeah he always has us guess wth is going on sometimes.

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Old 03/09/2009, 05:51 PM   #252
maroun.c
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kudora
oh looks like a fun trip swift, thats awesome your meeting maroun
It was a Great Trip. Meeting all the guys we met and seeing all their tanks and projects was just perfect.
I'm really glad I had those two "business trips" to Cleveland the last two months.
I have seen great fish stores:
Salty critter
Marine Technology
Been to the C sea club meeting where I met with lots of guys that are also here on RC.
and also I got to meet some really cool people:
TJ, Laura, Kevin, Jeff, Dan, Steve, Sagi, Sean Jeff,...( to name a few)
Seeing their tanks and some of their projects was just amazing.
The only sad part was realizing how far I still am from a nice tank, and guys I really envy you for having access to everything here wether by Mail orders or jsut driving 20 min to a great LFS in town.
TJ thanks a lot for organizing this hectic day and looking forward to seeing you again before I head back on Sat.

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Old 03/09/2009, 07:25 PM   #253
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Glad to hear it went well
I'd love to have been on that trip !
Sucks that I'm so far away

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Old 03/09/2009, 08:42 PM   #254
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
oh looks like a fun trip swift, thats awesome your meeting maroun
Quote:
Originally posted by maroun.c
It was a Great Trip. Meeting all the guys we met and seeing all their tanks and projects was just perfect.
I'm really glad I had those two "business trips" to Cleveland the last two months.
I have seen great fish stores:
Salty critter
Marine Technology
Been to the C sea club meeting where I met with lots of guys that are also here on RC.
and also I got to meet some really cool people:
TJ, Laura, Kevin, Jeff, Dan, Steve, Sagi, Sean Jeff,...( to name a few)
Seeing their tanks and some of their projects was just amazing.
The only sad part was realizing how far I still am from a nice tank, and guys I really envy you for having access to everything here wether by Mail orders or jsut driving 20 min to a great LFS in town.
TJ thanks a lot for organizing this hectic day and looking forward to seeing you again before I head back on Sat.
Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
Glad to hear it went well
I'd love to have been on that trip !
Sucks that I'm so far away
Yeah yesterday was a loooooong day, but we got to view a LOT of tanks and setups. Some of which had changed considerably since the last time I had seen them. Maroun is right on though, all the systems we viewed were very well thought out, and beautiful displays. I believe the ages of the systems ranged from 4 months to 4 years as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilipOSU
I have a surprise heading TJ's way this week. He is coming back towards the canton area this weekend and I am going to have him bring it to me. I think he has an idea what it is, but I just assume leave him in a little suspense since that's what he is always doing to us!!!
You're just lucky you run a 220 and I run a 40.
Quote:
hehe nice, yeah he always has us guess wth is going on sometimes.

Quote:
No problem, it was good seeing you again as well. The guys in the Cleveland club are great... and as you could tell, are always more than willing to open up their homes, share some information and lend a helping hand.

Thanks definitely goes out to Joe, Sagi, Sean & Jeff for taking the time to show us their systems.

Old 03/09/2009, 08:48 PM   #255
Tswifty
Registered Member

I also picked up a few frags on our expedition including an Orange Digi, Tyree Soli, and Acro that looked very similar to the Pink Lemonade/Rommel's Watermelon.

A few adjustments were also made to my system when I got home... including some coral relocation, reduced the photo period from 8hrs to 6hrs in my ACIII program, dialed down my VorTech and switched it into short pulse mode, and performed a 5 gallon water change.

Now I'm just going to try and do my best to keep my hands out of my tank for the next few months and let everything settle in.

Old 03/09/2009, 11:03 PM   #256
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

TJ feel free to open my surprise up for a look... but don't get it wet. lol

Old 03/10/2009, 12:21 AM   #257
Tswifty
Registered Member

Still toying around with the Ca Reactor. Currently my levels seem to have stabilized out at:

Alkalinity: 11.8 dKH
Calcium: 470 ppm
Magnesium: 1380 ppm

I'm going to try and work the alkalinity down a bit more, but will probably leave it for a week to see if it is still gradually falling, or has settled there.

I've gotten the above readings approximately 3 days in a row.

Old 03/10/2009, 02:13 PM   #258
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

Well this is a little off topic but I am looking for some opinions on my preliminary sump design.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1#post14579461

Old 03/10/2009, 05:59 PM   #259
OwNeD162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty
Still toying around with the Ca Reactor. Currently my levels seem to have stabilized out at:

Alkalinity: 11.8 dKH
Calcium: 470 ppm
Magnesium: 1380 ppm

I'm going to try and work the alkalinity down a bit more, but will probably leave it for a week to see if it is still gradually falling, or has settled there.

I've gotten the above readings approximately 3 days in a row.
Good to see it's stabilising TJ !
Seems like it was all a worthy investment

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Old 03/10/2009, 08:21 PM   #260
Tswifty
Registered Member

So on the negative side.

Livestock losses:

- 1 female bartlett anthias
- 1 Red Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp
- 2 Red Banded Hi-fin Gobies
- 1 Christmas Wrasse

So I lost the entire LiveAquaria order. Suprisingly my delayed shipment from Reef Hot Spot has still been doing extremely well. Although, I hope no more anthias follow suit.

Old 03/10/2009, 09:37 PM   #261
kudora
thread reader

Quote:
So on the negative side.

Livestock losses:

- 1 female bartlett anthias
- 1 Red Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp
- 2 Red Banded Hi-fin Gobies
- 1 Christmas Wrasse

So I lost the entire LiveAquaria order. Suprisingly my delayed shipment from Reef Hot Spot has still been doing extremely well. Although, I hope no more anthias follow suit.
oh man you lost the 2 gobies too dang that sucks

i hope the rest of the anthias pull through.

"Paul b"

Old 03/10/2009, 09:43 PM   #262
PhilipOSU
Registered Member

TJ sorry to hear about the livestock losses. I know how that can be I had issues with the online ordering I did with Blue Zoo. Actually the only online vendor I haven't lost anything from is Reef Hot Spot in the order that we had with them.

Old 03/10/2009, 09:52 PM   #263
Tswifty
Registered Member

LiveAquaria refunded all my money, and Reef Hot Spot requires a picture to be sent in. So I should hear from them tomorrow, even though the person I talked to on the phone assured me that everything would be taken care of. I doubt I'll be ordering from LiveAquaria again, unless the item comes out of the Diver's Den.

I've had the best success with Reef Hot Spot. This is the first fish I have lost since I have been ordering from them, and honestly I thought nothing would make it with the shipping delay.

I am a little worried about trying to introduce another Bartlett into the tank as well. I'm not sure if the established group will accept it or not.

For now I'm probably going to hold off for a week or so before I try and replace the losses.

Old 03/10/2009, 11:15 PM   #264
OwNeD162
Registered Member

That sucks about the losses

Glad to hear LiveAquaria gave you full credit for everything, especially after how they stuffed you round with the order in the first place...

As for the Bartlett, wouldn't it be better to add it now, I would have thought the longer you leave the group to establish themselves as a group, the more likely they are to reject a newbie?

Old 03/11/2009, 05:39 AM   #265
maroun.c
Registered Member

Sorry for your Losses TJ. hope the remaing ones will make it fine.

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Old 03/11/2009, 05:42 AM   #266
Padrino
Registered Member

does live aquaria have a 14 day guarentee. Are you inside that guarentee or outside?

Old 03/11/2009, 06:26 AM   #267
Goodwin9
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
does live aquaria have a 14 day guarentee. Are you inside that guarentee or outside?
LiveAquaria offers a 14 day guarantee with all of their livestock. 30 days on all captive grown corals.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/g...ral_pagesid=23

-----------------------------------------------

Current Tank Info: 470 Gallon tank
Old 03/11/2009, 08:07 AM   #268
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
That blows. The rest of my order from the same day has done pretty well, and it's no surprise they comped you for the loss. Hope the next round goes considerably better!

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Old 03/11/2009, 09:33 AM   #269
kudora
thread reader

reef hot spot is the only place i have ordered any livestock online from and they were great. as soon as its not -13(current temp) or so i will be ordering another boost to the cuc.

"Paul b"

Old 03/11/2009, 01:58 PM   #270
Bill14
Registered Member

Hey TJ! I've been following your thread for a while. Great stuff and very nice looking tank!

I love the way you hung your light from the conduit. I've been considering borrowing that idea for my setup. What are you using to support the conduit in the back of the tank? Is it attached to the stand or the wall in some way? I have a few ideas on how to do it. Just curious what you did.

Old 03/11/2009, 02:15 PM   #271
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
That sucks about the losses

Glad to hear LiveAquaria gave you full credit for everything, especially after how they stuffed you round with the order in the first place...

As for the Bartlett, wouldn't it be better to add it now, I would have thought the longer you leave the group to establish themselves as a group, the more likely they are to reject a newbie?
Quote:
Sorry for your Losses TJ. hope the remaing ones will make it fine.
Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodwin9
LiveAquaria offers a 14 day guarantee with all of their livestock. 30 days on all captive grown corals.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/g...ral_pagesid=23
Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
That blows. The rest of my order from the same day has done pretty well, and it's no surprise they comped you for the loss. Hope the next round goes considerably better!
Quote:
reef hot spot is the only place i have ordered any livestock online from and they were great. as soon as its not -13(current temp) or so i will be ordering another boost to the cuc.
Thanks guys... Everything that passed was within the 14 day guarantees that both places have.

Reef Hot Spot is great. They actually sent me an email this morning and have offered to ship me the replacements at no charge. Most places will replace livestock, but charge you to ship them. I was very shocked to have that offer extended to me. However, I plan on waiting a week before having the replacement items shipped to see if anything else happens to follow suit.

As far as LiveAquaria goes, they do have a 14 day guarantee... but like I said, I would need to pay to ship the items out again. However, since they refunded my money I will be ordering the replacement items from Reef Hot Spot instead of trying with LiveAquaria again.

Old 03/11/2009, 02:25 PM   #272
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill14
Hey TJ! I've been following your thread for a while. Great stuff and very nice looking tank!

I love the way you hung your light from the conduit. I've been considering borrowing that idea for my setup. What are you using to support the conduit in the back of the tank? Is it attached to the stand or the wall in some way? I have a few ideas on how to do it. Just curious what you did.
Thank you.

I really like the conduit rack a lot. It's so easy to work with, and looks really sharp as well.

To attach it to the back of the stand, I used plastic conduit clamps like these. You could also attach it to the wall, but I was given strict orders not to put any holes in the wall.

Old 03/11/2009, 02:36 PM   #273
Bill14
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you.

I really like the conduit rack a lot. It's so easy to work with, and looks really sharp as well.

To attach it to the back of the stand, I used plastic conduit clamps like these. You could also attach it to the wall, but I was given strict orders not to put any holes in the wall.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but thought I'd double check to see if you came up with anything super clever.

Old 03/11/2009, 06:34 PM   #274
Tswifty
Registered Member

Finally managed to get my hands on a Tyree Sunset Montipora. Found a nice size piece for a good price at one of the LFS's today.

Old 03/11/2009, 07:12 PM   #275
Tswifty
Registered Member