Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Stickgal
Registered Member

Question Before Setup

1. What about the artificial grass mats as substrate?

2. I keep reading that macroalgae and other plants like a tank thats a bit dirty, but seahorses like very clean water. I wanted to use real plants, but don't want to harm the horses. Should I just go with artificial plants and hitches? I've always stayed away from any fake stuff in my tanks.

3. I don't want seahorse babies. Is it ok to get all females? Any down side?

4. If I have cheats in the sump or Refugio's, are the pods I plan to grow going to automatically be carried to my dt by the filtration system, or do I have to harvest them? Once they get into the ft, do they proliferate there?
Thanks for any help.

Current Tank Info: 45g, currently cycling. Plan is mixed reef.

Last edited by Stickgal; 05/09/2017 at 10:14 PM.
Stickgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 10:49 PM   #2
nutbar29
Registered Member

This is my 75g seahorse tank. This tank has been running for 2yrs now. I have 3 seahorses. You can have all females or all males but if you get them when they are small it's hard to tell if it's a male or female.

nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 06:29 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

This is my 56 gallon seahorse tank with 4 seahorses. 3 are females and 1 is a male. Like nutbar said, when they are young it is difficult to know for sure what they will be. You can give fry away if your ponies breed.

Right now my macros are small because I did a major pruning of the ones in the DT. I have more macros in the fuge. I do very large WCs, 20 -25% per week so even in my fuge amphipods do not get enough to eat. I culture them in a separate 5 gallon tank. I do have tiny copepods in the system however.

My tank has a painted bb so that I can blast the floor and lift particles up to the overflow to be filtered. I miss the natural look of sand but it is easy to clean.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Stickgal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar29 View Post

This is my 75g seahorse tank. This tank has been running for 2yrs now. I have 3 seahorses. You can have all females or all males but if you get them when they are small it's hard to tell if it's a male or female.
Gorgeous. Is all of it real?

Current Tank Info: 45g, currently cycling. Plan is mixed reef.
Stickgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 08:11 AM   #5
nutbar29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickgal View Post
Gorgeous. Is all of it real?

Yes it's all real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/12/2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Han Solo
Registered Member

I also have lots of macro in my display tank and two H. Erectus. They've had babies before and most likely you will not have time to save them because you need 1. live baby brine shrimp within 24 hours, and 2. money and time to buy every accessory you need withhin 24 hours. So if you're not prepared to raise 50 seahorses, you're going to watch 50 die. It's is a sad reality. But then again like 1/1000 survive in the wild to adult hood.

I also would say macro algae is super beneficial to a take. At the right quantities (about half of my 40 gallon is filledd with macro algae) it helps keep nitrates down as much as chemical filtration. (my experience)

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Han Solo
Registered Member

Also macroalgae is pretty much essential for pods to keep reproducing. It just has the surface area and refuge for them. Lots of rocks are good too.

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 05:40 AM   #8
paul1966
Registered Member

what macro algae would you recommend for the main tank?

paul1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 10:45 AM   #9
nutbar29
Registered Member

I have different types of Culerpa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/17/2017, 05:56 AM   #10
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1966 View Post
what macro algae would you recommend for the main tank?
I have feather caulerpa, red grape caulerpa, dragon's breath, cheato, red titan, codium, and halimeda.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote