Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Accident
Registered Member

Red Mangrove drops propagules prematurely

https://imgur.com/a/Gny2TI have a large Red Mangrove outside in a horse trough and some smaller ones in the same trough. The oldest is at least 10 years old and it's been flowering for around 7 years. The other, smaller tree has been flowering for 2 or 3 years. They do produce propagules that get to about 3/4" and then fall off. Very aggravating. My AC unit drips into the trough to insure it never goes dry. I have researched numerous times and nothing works. I'm in Deep South Texas. Any help appreciated.
https://imgur.com/a/Gny2T

Accident is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 05:09 PM   #2
SaltySully
Registered Member

The trees may be rootbound, I have had tropical fruit trees in pots drop fruit preme when they are root bound. Red mangroves have massive root systems.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

SaltySully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 06:48 PM   #3
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Wow, that's a giant tree you have there! Do you have any special plans for it, like putting it in a tank or a pond? How are your nutrient levels in the water? If the tree is nutrient limited, perhaps phosphorous, it may not be able to produce viable offspring. Is this just one tree or is it two? If it is an isolated tree, the flowers might not be getting pollinated, and therefore are producing nonviable propagules.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote