Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2016, 08:29 AM   #1
SnowManSnow
Registered Member

BK mini gen 1 upgrade?

Hi folks.
So I have, what I believe, is a gen 1 mini 160. I purchased used over the weekend.
1: how do I make a certain call on gen 1 or gen 2?
The entire block is grey and the side plate is in all German, as opposed to the red dragon spec plate I'm use to seeing.
2: is there a way to upgrade this to gen 2 intake and such. I BELIEVE I remember that the blocks were the same between 1 and 2.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
B

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Current Tank Info: 120 MRC acrylic Tank (love it). Constellation T5s Mixed Reef
SnowManSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 08:38 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Can you post some pictures of it as well as some photos of the block? I don't think you are going to be able to upgrade it. The base plate is different from gen 1 to the next gen due to volute changes. Also, depending on the volute, you may not be able to upgrade it because of the hole in the skimmer body where the nozzle pokes out. Even if you could upgrade it, it would be costly because you would need the block, the volute and the impeller and for the cost, I am not sure the difference would be warranted in terms of performance.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 09:14 AM   #3
SnowManSnow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Can you post some pictures of it as well as some photos of the block? I don't think you are going to be able to upgrade it. The base plate is different from gen 1 to the next gen due to volute changes. Also, depending on the volute, you may not be able to upgrade it because of the hole in the skimmer body where the nozzle pokes out. Even if you could upgrade it, it would be costly because you would need the block, the volute and the impeller and for the cost, I am not sure the difference would be warranted in terms of performance.
ok.. yea if I would have to upgrade the block I DO NOT want to go down that route. I thought that part was the same.
The air intake is also different than the other BK I've had in that the tube goes up and there is a different silencer part that sits on top of the intake.
With my other BK it was connected itself to the intake tube.

Thanks for the responses. I was just feeling things out to see whats what.

Current Tank Info: 120 MRC acrylic Tank (love it). Constellation T5s Mixed Reef
SnowManSnow is offline   Reply With Quote