Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2006, 08:20 AM   #1
MLCT
Registered Member

Soundproofing an Aquarium Stand

Has anyone had any luck with soundproofing an aquarium stand/cabinet with foam or insulation or even sheets of the foam baffles seen in studios to lessen noise from pumps,skimmers, etc. I have seen some stuff on the internet that would work well but it is over $100.00/4x4 sheet. Any other ideas.
Thanks

MLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2006, 09:17 AM   #2
KevinM
Registered Member

The acoustic foam will work wonderfully, but you're right, it's a little on the expensive side. Alternatively, you could try some plain foam sheet without the 'egg carton' dimples. You should be able to find some at a craft store, or maybe even Wal Mart.

Current Tank Info: Custom 120g acrylic coming soon.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2006, 09:25 AM   #3
usagolf
Moved On

Nuprene works good for sound deadening. A lot of car sound shops use it. I know you can get it on e-bay pretty cheap.

usagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2006, 11:05 PM   #4
badpacket
Premium Member

Darn, saw a review recently relating to silent pc's. Someone compared some of the expensive foams against some more standard foam with a decent db rating, and the cheaper stuff worked out pretty fair, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

This might be useful reading, though not strictly applicable to our lower levels of sound since we are not recording studios....
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=

badpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Fast Fred
Registered Member

Wal-mart sells egg crate foam for use as a matress pad. You could try that.

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef Ready AGA /55g Top Fin Tank for a sump/refugium/ LifeReef Skimmer/ Changing over to SPS only
Fast Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 12:04 PM   #6
raskal311
Registered Member

If the stand holds in sound it will also hold in a lot of heat. Aside from that I would use great stuff to insolate the stand. Instead of pieces you spray it on so you get a better seal.

raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 09:31 PM   #7
fishnut321
Registered Member

go buy alot of soft drinks at mc donalds. The little carboard trays are poor man sound proofing, though they would probably not hold up well with the humidity. I would go with closed cell foam mattress called a z-rest. Google it, there cheap and they will work well. You dont want to use matress since its probably porous and will cause mold etc to take hold.

just my 2 cents

fishnut321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 11:17 PM   #8
philipm
Registered Member

If you go to home depot/lowes they have packs of 3/4" thick sheets of styrofoam. Cut to fit and use a hot glue gun to affix them into place. I did this and my stand was completely silent. The down side of insulating your stand is that it holds in heat. I had a chiller so this was not an issue. Most likely venting it with a fan would work.

philipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2006, 11:28 PM   #9
Chrismo
Premium Member

In general, hard surfaces like wood or metal reflect the sound back into the stand, whereas porous things like fabric will absorb the sound.

What you really want to do first is make sure there are no gaps in your stand around the doors for sound to get out. (weatherstip it). And also, since hard things conduct the sound out of the stand, You could try to put rubber hockey pucks under your stands legs to keep vibrations from transferring to the floor.

The heavier something is, the more it will stop and absorb sound too. They often use "mass loaded" vinyl to coverwalls in a sound studio. Basicaly thats Vinyl with crushed stones embedded into it. It weighs about a pound a square foot or more.

Sandbags block sound pretty good too, so you could cover the bottom of your sump in sandbags, and put your pumps etc on top of them.

But the main thing is to make sure there are no gaps for the sound to get directly out.

Current Tank Info: 157g
Chrismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 09:02 AM   #10
soundgeek
Registered Member

The way to fix it is to isolate whatever is making the noise, for example a pump. If you have a pump vibrating and it causes the stand to vibrate the stand it self will resonate and make its own noise. The best fix would be to use that roll on truck liner on the inside of you stand to help with its resonate frequency and isolate the pumps that would be causing vibration, i have heard that using a mouse pad under pumps works real well. As far as water movement making noise you are not goint to be able to make the stand quiet, but the water. If you want to get creative place a microphone and speaker in the stand and record the sound coming in and delay it so it is 180degrees out of phase and you would have a noise cancelling stand.

Current Tank Info: 75gal
soundgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Chrismo
Premium Member

Quote:
If you want to get creative place a microphone and speaker in the stand and record the sound coming in and delay it so it is 180degrees out of phase and you would have a noise cancelling stand.
Cool! Does that really work? Have you tried it? I've got a computer in there anyway, it might as well make some anti-noise.

Unread 03/02/2006, 09:36 AM   #12
DHyslop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrismo
Cool! Does that really work? Have you tried it? I've got a computer in there anyway, it might as well make some anti-noise.
I'm really curious to find out, too. I have used a first-generation noise-cancelling aviation headset for a few years and consider it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I've heard that you can have cabin-wide noise-cancelling speakers installed in corporate turboprops so passengers can have a comparatively quiet trip without having to use headsets.

What sort of electronics skill would someone need to put together an apparatus like this under the stand? Is this something you could do on a circuit board in a beginners realm?

Dan

DHyslop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 10:03 AM   #13
Chrismo
Premium Member

I dont know much about it, but I am thinking that if it's a constant noise, then you might be able to just play it back in reverse phase and not have to have a mic sampling the ambiant (bad) sound constantly.

That would be convienient anyway.

Last edited by Chrismo; 03/02/2006 at 10:34 AM.
Unread 03/02/2006, 10:21 AM   #14
DHyslop
Registered Member

That would make sense. My headset is analogue: it just cancels out the frequencies most associated with general aviation motors. The newer ones, on the other hand, are truly adaptive and much more effective (perhaps too effective if they prevent you from hearing subtle changes in engine sounds).

I've been fighting with my Mag 7 for the last few weeks trying to quiet it. I'm starting to feel ready for a band-aid solution!

Dan

DHyslop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 12:39 PM   #15
MLCT
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies.
The stand isn't that loud, but being in the common area of the house, I want it as quiet as possible. The pump is fairly quiet but it resonates throughout the stand and the sump. And I have already isolated them with double layers of anti-fatigue matting. The Euro-reef skimmer also puts out its own bit of noise with the air intakes.
Oh well, just something else to screw around with.

MLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 12:58 PM   #16
luibove
Registered Member

Why not try the expanding foam, this is relatively cheap, & should dampen any resonance?

luibove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2006, 01:35 PM   #17
Chrismo
Premium Member

For the air intake, attatch a wooden airstone to the air intake. Get one as big as you can find, so it lets in a lot of air without too much restriction. Thats what I did with My H&S 1260. It make a huge difference on the sound.

My goal was total silence too, since it is in my living room.

Unread 03/02/2006, 06:29 PM   #18
soundgeek
Registered Member

It is exactly how bose noise cancelling headphones work. 180 degrees out of phase is the same as reversing the signal. So for instances if you have two speakers one hooked up correctly with red to red and black to black and the other speaker red to black and black to red, pick a listening point anywhere in the middle and you won't be able to hear anything because the signal is 180 degrees out of phase causing cancelation. With a microphone and one speaker you can't just reverse the wires but you would need a effects processor that will allow you to delay the time so it is out of phase to cancell out the sound. To succesfully make this work in a home enviorment would be difficult.

Current Tank Info: 75gal
soundgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2006, 01:31 AM   #19
db138
Registered Member

You might want to try Dynamat. It's main use is car stereo intallations. It's a thin sheet (1/4") that is sticky on one side. I have used this hundreds of times and is super easy to install. You can get a 2'X6' roll at Best Buy or other car stereo stores. Here is their homepage:

http://www.dynamat.com/

Hope this helps

db138 is offline   Reply With Quote