Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/16/2020, 10:24 AM   #776
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael. Yeah, every time I do something like that, even for fun, I learn how to do it better next time. My photo quality wasn't good, and the bright light washed it out. I think that taking the photo during the beginning "sunset" phase of my light will look much nicer. That's what I did with this video.

I kinda learned how to make better chili by entering chili cookoffs, causing me to alter my recipe to get more votes (and more people sampling). Eventually, it paid off and I won a few of those cook offs. This is the same kind of thing, except, there aren't many contests that you can enter in to see if you've improved.

But, the bottom line is that I need to get the tank to meet my standards, for my enjoyment, and to meet my vision. You do that with your tank too, and sometimes it takes a major change, other times, minor tweaks. I think that the addition of water stargrass, snails, empty FW clam shells, etc. really adds to the realism of the tank to a real stream eddy. I also adjusted the direction of my powerhead flow a while back and finally have found the most realistic flow pattern. The addition of more plants slows that current down at the end, and reduces the amount of reversed flow, and causes the main current to look more dramatic. Little tweaks like that make a difference.

Another thing that is similar in this stream tank to yours is managing the plants. At first, I let them grow and expand throughout the tank, even to areas that I never really envisioned plants. So, the other day, I pulled out my loose rock work and replanted most of those expanded plants. The reason that I did that was I wanted that viewing window clear in the middle of the tank. I am taking a wait and see approach to the plants growing under the fake roots. Like your tank, I'm becoming a gardener rather than letting nature take total control.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2020, 12:02 PM   #777
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I love looking at those web sites with the planted tank contests! Truly inspiring, and light years ahead of most marine aquarium aquascapes. It's amazing how important the photographer's skill is in getting that winning pic.

Very cool to hear about your experience with chili! I've recently gone vegetarian and I'm currently experimenting with veggie chili recipes.

You've really refined your stream tank. I see so many similarities to my tank. And now you are entering the phase where you have to exert control over your plants to prevent an out-of-control jungle. It looks amazing!

Valisneria eventually got away from me in my planted tank. It just started spreading exponentially. I ended up replacing it with plants that looked similar, but didn't spread. I suspect you'll get there soon. Once they start putting out daughter plants, the challenge to control them becomes a lot of work.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote