Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2016, 04:39 PM   #51
rockworm
A-counting guy

Good news. The tank is in the city at the carrier's terminal. I have contacted a mover and hope to hear back from them tonight or tomorrow. With any luck, beast will land on it's stand in the next the next few days.

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS and 75g non SPS
rockworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 06:35 PM   #52
Rybren
Registered Member

So, when's the big day?

Unread 05/31/2016, 06:50 PM   #53
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
So, when's the big day?
Thursday afternoon, if all goes as planned. The movers will call tomorrow with an update. The weather may not cooperate with us. Looks like rain and thunderstorms. I will certainly understand if they have to cancel due to weather. Just one of those little bumps.

Unread 05/31/2016, 06:57 PM   #54
Rybren
Registered Member

I hope for your sake that the weather holds off.

Unread 05/31/2016, 07:25 PM   #55
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
I hope for your sake that the weather holds off.
Thanks. I hope the same, but another delay won't bother me much. All the predelivery work is done ao now I just need the tank. Feels weird not having anything to do on the build. I am actually watching tv tonight with Sue.

Unread 06/01/2016, 01:34 PM   #56
rockworm
A-counting guy

Lol. Delivery changed again. Now going to take delivery on Friday afternoon. This time it sounds pretty firm, so I am hopefull. This hobby teaches patience in more ways than one.

Unread 06/03/2016, 07:04 AM   #57
Rybren
Registered Member

Good luck with the move today.

Unread 06/03/2016, 03:15 PM   #58
rockworm
A-counting guy

Well, the tank is in the house. Unfortunately it is not on the stand. The movers were not equipped to lift it (I had a funny feeling about 1/2 way through the move.) I will call around and hire some strong bodies for the lift.

The good news, the tank is very well built and looks amazing. I will get some pics up later. Maybe tonight.

Unread 06/03/2016, 05:43 PM   #59
Rybren
Registered Member

Glad to hear that the tank arrived and you are happy with it.

I won't be much help in the lifting department - I busted up a finger pretty badly last weekend and am operating one-handed.

Unread 06/03/2016, 05:53 PM   #60
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Glad to hear that the tank arrived and you are happy with it.

I won't be much help in the lifting department - I busted up a finger pretty badly last weekend and am operating one-handed.
Thanks. I will hire some weightlifter movers to put it on the stand. I don't want to alienate any friends.

Unread 06/09/2016, 05:01 PM   #61
Rybren
Registered Member

Ward, I have a large Monti that I'm thinking of getting rid of. It's too big for my tank. If you'd like it for your new system, I'd donate it to the cause. The nem goes with it too if you want it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Unread 06/10/2016, 06:18 AM   #62
rockworm
A-counting guy

Woq Jerry, that is a nice size monti and would fit well in the tank. I should have space for it soon. I will have to put it in the 220 for now after I get some corals moved to the 75. Thanks for the offer of the nem, but I won't be putting any in my tanks.

Unread 06/10/2016, 06:43 AM   #63
Rybren
Registered Member

Okay, there's no rush for grabbing it. The challenge will be getting it out of the tank without creating a ton of frags

Unread 06/10/2016, 07:43 PM   #64
rockworm
A-counting guy

It has been a week and it is time for an update. I received the tank a week ago on Friday. I called a number of different movers and explained that I had a heavy aquarium to lift on to a stand. Most declined, primarily because they did not have insurance to cover glass. A couple offered to try but could not insure the tank if anything happened. I declined their offer because I wanted the movers to be insured. Two movers said they would come and take a look. At the end of the day, I could not hire any movers. This left me on my own to figure out how to get the tank on the stand.

I had a eureka moment on Sunday. I had been trying to figure out how I could get the tank on the stand and realized that maybe I should figure out how to get the stand under the tank. The former method would mean lifting the tank and sliding it onto the stand. This would be difficult because of the light rank and somewhat limited space to work with. I would still need a few strong people to manually hold and slide the tank over. The latter method (stand under tank) would only require me to lift the tank and slide the stand under it. Later I could figure a way to just slide the tank and stand into position.

I spent the week building a hoist frame. The hoist frame would be built around the tank and I would use two chain hoists to lift the tank. I used two because of the 8 ft tank length and safety was first and foremost the most important thing.

Behold, the hoist frame.

I am not an engineer, nor a physicist. But I do love solving problems and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one day. I also watch those home improvement shows so had a basic understanding of weight transfer.

I started by laminating three 2" x 6" to form the posts for each corner. I then made a header using three 2" x 10" framing lumber for each end of the hoist frame. The bottom of each post was joined using a single 2" x 4". It's role was to help in squaring the end and keep the bottom of the posts from spreading apart, or together. The ends and the 2" x 4" were joined together to build the box around the tank.

I did not want this box to fall, tilt, slide or anything else. I used the walls of the room to "brace" the box.

This was done on 4 sides before the next step, which was to create 2 beams that would support the hoists.

I again laminated three 2" x 10" to create each beam. You can see the end of the beams in the picture.

After the baems were in place, I added diagonal braces and corner braces all round the bix frame. This was done to ensure that the whole hoist frame was rigid and would not move under the weight of the tank when it is lifted. I was concerned that if the frame moved in any direction, the inertia of any tank movement would bring the whole frame down.

I hung the hoists using 3/4" steel rods.

I used short lengths of 2" x "4 on each beam to sandwich the rod so it would not roll. I used 1 ton hoists even though I could probably have used 1/2 ton. I was not taking any chances, so went a little overboard. It only cost $10 more for the one ton and I felt that it was cheap insurance.

Here is a better view of how the hoist sits on the beams.

I was almost ready to do the lift. There was one last thing to do and that was cut 2 lengths of 2" x 6" slighter longer than the tank is wide to act as pressure points where the lift straps meet the top of the tank. A eurobrace is great at prevent a tank from bowing out but I am not sure of its strength if the tank was squeezed at the top. The tank is exactly 36" wide, so I cut them to 36 3/8" long.

It is not easy to see, but as the tank is lifted, the straps will tighten at the top and they will try to squeeze the top most point on each side. The wood now replaces the top of the tank and any squeezing takes place on the wood. The bottom of the tank does not need pressure point replacements because A) the bottom is a solid pane of glass and B) the tank is glued on top of a 1/4" piece of plywood.

I was now ready. I called on two neighbours, who have asked a few times if they could help, and three of us did the lift. The tank was raised 2 inches above the height of the stand, the stand slid under the tank and the tank dropped onto the stand. It took one hour because there was a lot of finagling to get the straps under the tank then out from under the tank after the stand was in place.

The sense of relief and accomplishment is almost indescribable. This was, and I expect will be, the most demanding and complicated process of the build.

The next step of the build is to fix some of the plumbing rough in that I had to take apart in order to move the stand. The tank sits about 3/4" over one end of the stand so this will have to be fixed. I have a ratchet "pull along" that I will use to slide the tank over. I will then use it to move the tank and stand back into place.

Unfortunately, my beautiful hoist frame will be dismantled and thrown out except for the 2" x 6" which will be used by a neighbour. I have no use for the 2 x 10 and it will only clutter up space.

That is it for today. Thanks for looking.

Unread 06/10/2016, 08:40 PM   #65
dave.m
Registered Member

Or you could try to hire piano movers. They are insured out the yinyang.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 06:41 AM   #66
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Or you could try to hire piano movers. They are insured out the yinyang.

Dave.M
I did that. All of them declined. Why? Because not one of them is insured to move glass. They are insured only for glass they damage as a result of the move. Any other post move suggestions?

Unread 06/11/2016, 07:15 AM   #67
Rybren
Registered Member

Ingenious solution Ward. Nice job.

Unread 06/11/2016, 08:10 AM   #68
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Ingenious solution Ward. Nice job.
Thanks Jerry. I am just glad it worked. I hope to take a break from it all today and go visit Marinescape. I have not been there in 2 weeks and am going through withdrawal. I am sure they have something I " need".

Unread 06/11/2016, 09:05 AM   #69
Rybren
Registered Member

I was there yesterday. Managed to get out with only a half-dozen ceriths. Almost left with yet another wrasse (would have been my 9th) but managed to avoid the temptation.

Unread 06/11/2016, 10:14 AM   #70
dave.m
Registered Member

[QUOTE-"Rybren"]Any other post move suggestions? [/QUOTE]
Workin' on it...

Hey! You could have rented a car engine hoist and saved the frame build.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 10:53 AM   #71
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post

Behold, the hoist frame.
At first I was saying to myself this isn't going to end well. Then I was thinking that it was a brute force moment rather than grace. Then I started to think of the cost.

Then I took a step back and thought to myself the sheer satisfaction you probably had, and sense of accomplishment, once you finished. That is priceless and pure gold.

Super cool what you did. Honestly, damn cool.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 11:10 AM   #72
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
[QUOTE-"Rybren"]Any other post move suggestions?
Workin' on it...

Hey! You could have rented a car engine hoist and saved the frame build.

Dave.M[/QUOTE]
I actually thought of that. I was worried that only using one might be a risk because of the single point harness and the 8' length of the tank. My belief was that I would need two and I did not have the room(One probably would have worked, but I was a little chicken, lol). I went through the full catalogues of all rental shops, looking up manufacturer specs for hoists, lifts and jacks. They were either too big, or were too light.

Your advice on the piano mover is sound. It is too bad that they could not because it would have been so much easier for me.

Unread 06/11/2016, 11:16 AM   #73
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
At first I was saying to myself this isn't going to end well. Then I was thinking that it was a brute force moment rather than grace. Then I started to think of the cost.

Then I took a step back and thought to myself the sheer satisfaction you probably had, and sense of accomplishment, once you finished. That is priceless and pure gold.

Super cool what you did. Honestly, damn cool.
Thanks saf. My thinking at the start was not much different than yours , so I spent a lot of time planning the job. The total cost of fabrication and hoists was just under $500 Cdn. I can sell the hoists and will get back around 100, so I don't feel bad about it. One of the movers who came over said it would cost around $800 because he would need 6 or 7 movers. In the end, he decided not to do it.

Unread 06/11/2016, 01:29 PM   #74
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
Thanks saf. My thinking at the start was not much different than yours , so I spent a lot of time planning the job. The total cost of fabrication and hoists was just under $500 Cdn. I can sell the hoists and will get back around 100, so I don't feel bad about it. One of the movers who came over said it would cost around $800 because he would need 6 or 7 movers. In the end, he decided not to do it.
You are welcome. I was going to say if you are working, you could almost add that has an example of your problem solving skills on your resume! If you are retired or otherwise not working, still note it down and take pictures. That is really some grade A ingenuity there.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2016, 02:04 PM   #75
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
You are welcome. I was going to say if you are working, you could almost add that has an example of your problem solving skills on your resume! If you are retired or otherwise not working, still note it down and take pictures. That is really some grade A ingenuity there.
I am 3 years away from retirement. I am so looking forward to it. I am a CPA and have been using computers since the punch card days. This has allowed me to use my problem solving skills on the job. I love woodworking and will get back to it when I retire. I have never used a plan, but have built bedrooms suites and dining room suites for a few people. I get my hands dirty at home doing manual work. I have always loved problem solving, right back to my elementary school days and planless woodworking fills that role. However, I really suck at arts skills, such as language, history, philosophy, etc. LOL.