Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2007, 09:24 AM   #251
Dudester
Registered Member

Excellent progress thus far. I see one potential problem with your 4-way plumbing - there are no ball valves near the actual unit. When you need to remove it (and you're gonna need to remove it at some point for cleaning or something) you are going to have a lot of water spill when you disconnect the unions. If I were you I would get some ball valves and a "T." The first time you disconnect your 4-way, plumb in a ball valve after each union of all four outlets, and put the T with another ball valve on the end between the CL pump and the 4-way. Whenever you need to service the 4-way in the future, you'll be able to close all of the ball valves at the 4 outlets and open the ball valve at the end of the T to drain the unit of its water. Hopefully there's already a ball valve between the pump and the 4-way as well, because that will also need to be closed during this procedure.

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2007, 01:26 PM   #252
erics3000
Registered Member

Thanks Paul and Carol. I really want 1' instead of 3/4. I already have some 3/4 locline and a couple penductors. I guess I can use them for now untill I find some 1' or they start making it. At least I wont be blowing my sand all over the place.

Dude I bought 4 unions and valves and just didn't install them. I didn't think about water left in the OM unit. I do have a ball valve on my return pump. Just need to clean up my garage and get some better pics. I haven't finished all the drains yet. Since I moved everything in the garage I had to change all my plans. Got a couple good ideas how I am going to set it all up. it is just a mess now. I had to get the water moving so I did what I could do.

I made the gurgle blasters. Wow they made a big difference compared to it just draining down the bulkhead.

here you can see the difference after a little grinding.

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2007, 02:28 PM   #253
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Whoa what is that green wheel to?? A sport bike?

Looks like you ahve some progress....I need to get moving

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2007, 03:12 PM   #254
Kurt03
Registered Member

Here you go lunch, its back in the start of the thread.

Ive been lurking for a while, following along for sure.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2007, 06:06 PM   #255
erics3000
Registered Member

Slowly but shurley..

My bike is an 01 Ninja 600R. I am dieing to get a R1 soon..Just need to get rid of a few other toys first.

Unread 11/25/2007, 06:56 PM   #256
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Hey I wouldn't complain about a 01 Ninja 600R. Nice bike. Forgot about those pics.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2007, 12:58 AM   #257
erics3000
Registered Member

I aint complaining it has been a great bike Eric.

Not much to update. I finally got my OM secure. When I get some vortech down the road i want to take one or 1 of the om ports and have them blow from the bottom. I might do that before I do my aquascape. It might be a lot easier before I get my rocks set up the way i want.

i also finished tripling up all the legs. I forgot about them before I did the 150 move because of my flooring. Nothing a little hammer didn't handle.

Unread 11/27/2007, 10:49 AM   #258
michika
red headed step child

I say do the aquascaping now to accomodate anything you want coming up frmo the bottom now. It will be much easyier, and less of a pain to do it now then later.

michika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2007, 11:11 AM   #259
FishTruck
Premium Member

Eric, I thought I read somewhere that one is not advised to drill closer than 1.5 x the diamter of the hole drilled near any glass edge. So, if you drilled a 2 inch hole, you would want it 3 inches away from any edge for safety.

Also, I think you will be happy moving your equipment to a remote area. This gives you SO many more options to make maintenance easy. Just removing the hassel of fishing around for wires and switches under your tank is worth it!

Good progress. Can't wait to see more.

R

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Ok I got the floor done in the office.

I drilled a few tanks and brook my 50. Too much pressure.

Here are some plumbing parts.

This is where I am going to put my sump. I will build a stand above so I can put a couple cans to store the ro water and mixing container. I guess I will keep my equipment here and later down the road throw a frag tank under the display. I have just enough room above my ac return to go through the wall to the garage for my return lines.

Here are some guys from my old tank.

I need to get back to work.

Happy Holidays..

FishTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2007, 11:20 AM   #260
MetalReef9
Registered Member

nice

MetalReef9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2007, 01:07 PM   #261
erics3000
Registered Member

Michika I think your right. Off to home depot I go.

FishTruck I think I read that some where and forgot. Thanks for the info I will kepp a mental note on that one.

MetalReef Thanks. Do you have any pics of your setup?

Unread 11/27/2007, 06:23 PM   #262
tattooreef
Registered Member

wow eric looking good , but i agree you need to upgrade the bike. lol if you want a real bike built for you let me know! really i cant know the crotch rockets i just got rid of an 1100 blackbird that had been built to a 1750 stretched loweredand custom painted(250 mph was just way too fast for me). but seriously the progress is lookin great

Current Tank Info: 5.5 foot 216g starphire sps tank at home, 8 ft softy tank at work
tattooreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2007, 11:42 PM   #263
Gools
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Excellent progress thus far. I see one potential problem with your 4-way plumbing - there are no ball valves near the actual unit. When you need to remove it (and you're gonna need to remove it at some point for cleaning or something) you are going to have a lot of water spill when you disconnect the unions. If I were you I would get some ball valves and a "T." The first time you disconnect your 4-way, plumb in a ball valve after each union of all four outlets, and put the T with another ball valve on the end between the CL pump and the 4-way. Whenever you need to service the 4-way in the future, you'll be able to close all of the ball valves at the 4 outlets and open the ball valve at the end of the T to drain the unit of its water. Hopefully there's already a ball valve between the pump and the 4-way as well, because that will also need to be closed during this procedure.
Would you really need ball valves if the 4 way is above the tank? I'm in the process of doing the same thing but was going to have my 4 way above my tank, so there should be no water in it once the pump is off. Or am I wrong.

Gools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2007, 11:57 PM   #264
erics3000
Registered Member

Yeah ther will still be water in it. If it is in your house and you really dont want any sipils it is good idea. I have them and will pop them in down the road.

Unread 11/29/2007, 12:02 AM   #265
samson78945
Registered Member

its been awhile since i checked out your thread and its coming along great! i wish i could do that at my place. im trying to convince my parts to let me buy a 240 gal but i doubt that. i just need a place of my own:] keep up the great work man!

samson78945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2007, 10:49 AM   #266
Dudester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gools
Would you really need ball valves if the 4 way is above the tank? I'm in the process of doing the same thing but was going to have my 4 way above my tank, so there should be no water in it once the pump is off. Or am I wrong.
Eric is right in that there will still be water in the 4-way, but the amount will be negligible and easily controlled if you prefer to just wrap a towel around the unit when you disconnect it from the unions. The other advantage to ball valves, however, is that you can tweak the flow to each output. On my 4-way plumbing 2 of the outlets are very near the unit while the other 2 are about 4 feet away. Here's what I mean.

I also have single in-tank outlets on 2 of them, while the other 2 have double (Y'd) outlets). Having ball valves allows me to adjust the flow to each output, which I have recently found to be very convenient.

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2007, 05:37 PM   #267
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

I usually put the 4-ways above water level with a tee to the inlet. I then run a 1/2" locline nozzle to the top of the tank as an anti-siphon.
For the lines that are valved off by the drum, cracking the union will release the siphon, and you shouldnt get any water since its pulling in air as the line drains. As Dude said, use a towel for the dribbles.

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 11:10 AM   #268
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Hey Eric,

Thanks for visiting my thread!! Looks like we are doing the same around our homes. I too have started my inwall and as soon as I get the elctrical all set up, I too will be putting my setup aside so that I can remodel a baby room for our fourth child due in March.

Fun isn't it?

Radicaljbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 11:21 AM   #269
azmarine
Moved On

If you're still looking for 1" Loc-Line.

Ocean's Motions makes something similar.

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...products_id=41

azmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2007, 01:31 PM   #270
Brandan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azmarine
If you're still looking for 1" Loc-Line.

Ocean's Motions makes something similar.

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...products_id=41
Wow, talk about pricey. . . And I thought Loc-Lines where expensive!!!

Brandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2007, 12:04 AM   #271
erics3000
Registered Member

H20 - Thats a good idea.

Radical - 4 woo..Congrats..

azamarine - Thanks for the link. I saw them and they are apricey but cool I decided to wait untill I can get 1' penductors. I am going to run one of the 4 OM ports to blow from the botom up. In my old tanks my rocks always had a lot of poop. I have 4locline 1/2 nozzels to shoot from the bottom. now I am contemplating on doing 2 of the om ports for this and have the other 2 a tthe top and get 2 vortechs down the line. i think I will just do the one with 2 1/2 on 1 side of the tank and 2 1/2 on hte other side and keep the other 3 om ports up top.

Brandon - They are pricey but they look real nice. Dudester has them on his tank. I could have made my own penductor but I really want things to look clean in the tank. then on the other side the penductors are big too..

Not much to update on the tank. I was pretty bust with work so I could slow down fo rthe Holidays and the Birth of my new son. he finally came a little early.

Alittle about my progress or lack of progress,, Enjoying my sleepless nights with my little one.

I did get a used Calcium reactor but it was cracked in shipping.I can glue it but will see what happens with UPS.I am going to get the equipment and my 75 fuge set up 1 day..

Here is my ro unit from marc 100 gal a day for a good price.

Taped of my heater intake

I did put the rest of the reinforcements in the tank stand.

Some sand for my fuge. The black sand is cool. I mixed with 200 lbs play sand. Still might get another 50 or 100 of the play sand.

My overflow covers were loud when I put them on. I had to cut some extra groves. They came with the tank from Glass Cages.

My next task are finishing the plumbng in the tank, lighting, fuge and reactors, then put some more rock with a little aquascaping and I might be ready for corals in a couple months.

Oh yeah I finally picked up some base board to finish the room. Hopefully this weekend Imight get 1 thing done in between diapers. HAahaha

Unread 12/20/2007, 02:20 AM   #272
ReefArtist
Moved On

Wow Eric great progress and I must say CONGRATULATIONS on your need addition. What a cute little boy .

ReefArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2007, 02:51 PM   #273
tattooreef
Registered Member

congrats on the little one eric very good looking baby boy, i know you are very proud , i remember that feeling when you first hold the little guys, nothing compares!

Current Tank Info: 5.5 foot 216g starphire sps tank at home, 8 ft softy tank at work
tattooreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2007, 02:03 AM   #274
erics3000
Registered Member

Well I finally got around to making some plumbing for the bottom of the tank. It is ¾ pvc with 4 ½ locline nozzles. Good thing I don’t have a lot of rock I was able move what I had and put it under the sand.

I did get some rock out of the sump so it doesn’t look so empty now.

You can see the locline from the front but you can see them looking from the office side. I can live with it.

I think I am just going to try and fix my reactor myself. I will post some updates soon.

Everyone have a good Christmas.

Unread 12/24/2007, 02:07 AM   #275
erics3000
Registered Member

Thanks Carol and Tattoo. He is my little pride and joy.