Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2018, 05:48 AM   #1
phoenix001
Premium Member

Moving tank to new house - questions

Hello

I recently moved to a new house about 7 miles away from my existing. I have a 140 gallon (170 total water with sump) cube that I need to move over to the new house. My questions are:

1. Aside from transporting the fish and live rock, do I need to keep any of the existing tank water or can I refill once moved with new saltwater?

2. Would you recommend replacing the sandbed entirely?

3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, I can use new saltwater, can I mix it in the tank once moved to the new house or should I go ahead and mix outside the tank then pump it in?

Thanks

phoenix001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 06:14 AM   #2
alton
Registered Member

Keep as much old saltwater as possible. You will still need 20 to 40 gallons of new.
Figure on new sand.
Watch the temperature of the tank water, liverock, and fish. This time of year it can cool rapidly.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 06:22 AM   #3
phoenix001
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Keep as much old saltwater as possible. You will still need 20 to 40 gallons of new.
Figure on new sand.
Watch the temperature of the tank water, liverock, and fish. This time of year it can cool rapidly.
So you are saying I should plan on transporting the vast majority of existing saltwater to the new house? Any ideas around how to transport that much water?

Unread 12/11/2018, 06:29 AM   #4
alton
Registered Member

I use 60 gallon food grade barrels, but ice chest will work too. See if you can borrow a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub for a temporary setup?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Green Chromis
Registered Member

No, you do not need to save the vast majority of your water, all you need is enough old water to transfer, in separate containers, the rock and fish. Just make sure the new water has the same parameters as the old water. You want to keep the salinity, temp, along with Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Etc., as close to the old water as possible. Like stated earlier throw away the old sand and add new sand to your system.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Toss the water and sand.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 07:57 AM   #7
crawlerman
Registered Member

Make sure you have more water ready to go than you think you will need. Also transport fish in a cooler, I moved a 180 and the fish in the cooler were fine, I lost some of the fish that were in buckets due to temperature drop. I kept my sand bed, but most people replace it. I kept about 60% of the water but buy the time I was done cleaning sand and rocks only about 40% was old water. Just make sure the new water and tank water parameters are the same or close, mainly alk salinity and temp.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 08:03 AM   #8
smalltalk
Registered Member

I did this last month. I used the old sea water to transport the rock, coral and livestock only. I used completely new washed sand, added one cup of the old sand (although probably not necessary). Water was completely new but mixed outside of the tank, all the live rock went in and everything else added a day later, I had no new cycle that I noticed, everything looks better than prior to the move.

smalltalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 08:30 AM   #9
kevin21
Registered Member

Yup, no need for old water. Think of it as a chance to do a 100% water change. The live rock that you have which is cured already and the transfer of your old live rock is what is crucial to having no cycle. You will be fine. I am doing this soon as well. Have live rock curing in a separate container as well speak. This cured rock, along with my rock from my old tank, will go straight into brand new water in the new tank. I am going to monitor that tank for a few days just to be sure everything is good and then I will transfer over livestock.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 10:46 AM   #10
steallife904
Registered Member

I just moved about same distance and 150 gal tank in July. I actually hired a tank maintenance company to do it. was 400 bucks but to me was well worth it. they had 3 guys that have done this 1000 times. Had the tools and containers for it. Only water they re used was what was in the containers with fish and rock... Maybe 40 or 50 gals. The rest was new but they made sure it matched mine. Didn't lose anything but a coral a few days later. May want to look into this.... A lot less stressful

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Definitely dump the sand and mix (and heat) water ahead of time. You needed another heater anyway, right?

I would not move any more water than required to move the rock and livestock. And skip large containers, too much weight and sloshing; protect your vehicle. Put garbage bags in 5 gallon buckets or half full Rubbermaid 18 gallon tote totes and tie them before driving.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 08:10 PM   #12
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I had an aquarium maintenance business where I did this. I have 55-gallon plastic drums, and water pumps, but you don't have to have them. (Although, I consider them a necessity now, esp. for keeping salt water, and don't know how you get by without them).

New 5-gallon buckets have water tight lids.

I use to take out rocks w/corals, store them in container with water pump and air pump & heater circulating. This will make your display tank level low. (Duh!)

I used a large aquarium net to take out sand or gravel. The tank is still filled with water, the water washes through the net. This washes a lot of the gunk out of the sand. You will tear up nets, and it's hard work. Big deal.

I took the old sand to the new tank. Placing plastic sheet (garbage bag) on the sand, I pumped in the new salt water until tank is 1/2 full. New water should be a little warmer, 5-8 degrees, than the old. That way you won't shock your critters.

Then put corals and critters in new tank, fill to the top with new water.

Use common sense. Water parameters do not have to be exact match, fresh salt water is fine - but test the new water. I got Instant Ocean which had 300 calcium out of the bag. Temps matter more.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 08:16 PM   #13
candymancan
Registered Member.

Listen ive been into fish keeping for 20 years... salt water is new to me only 3 months n9w... but NO you dont need any of the old water..

Just get some 5 gallon buckets from lowes like 10 of them.. with tops.. Fill them up with the old water.. put all your life rock and sand in them put the tops on and go to your new house... Fill up your new tsnk.... get the salinity right let it flow for an hour or so.. then open your buckets and arrange your rock how you like.

I just did this moving myself mov8ng from a 27g hex to a 60g hex... i used msybe only 10g of thr old water... Nothing has happened to my fish or coral.

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 02:53 PM   #14
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'd keep as much old water as practical, just to avoid having to make a ton of new water...unless that's more convenient. There is no tank-health need to do it. I'd use new sand, but make sure you get a couple good scoops of your old sand to add back some of the microfauna. Your LR will also transfer a bunch, but I'd do it just for good measure.

The rest is easy, like everyone said. Just try to keep the critters at a stable temp (like coming home from the reef shop) and acclimate them to the new water, as required. If you have to do it all at once, it may be worth buying/borrowing some small tanks to hold your fish and coral for a few hours/days while you aquascape the new set-up. No matter what you do, have a good plan and it will be relatively easy.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 08:57 PM   #15
wrott
Registered Member

Definitely loose the sand, unless you rinse it. Water doesn't matter. Good luck

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 01:46 AM   #16
candymancan
Registered Member.

why is everyone saying to toss the sand just curious ? Sand isnt cheap

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 08:41 AM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
why is everyone saying to toss the sand just curious ? Sand isnt cheap
The sand itself isn't the problem - it's the gunk in it that can bite you in the behind if you let it. If you rinse it well to remove the buildup of waste in it it will be fine. As at least one other has suggested - keep a cup or two of old sand in saltwater to help reseed the newly washed sand and you'll be good to go.

And FWIW - I'm another one in the "don't move any water you don't have too" crowd. It's heavy, messy, and has absolutely nothing in it that will help the newly setup system. Just mix new water ahead of time to the same parameters so that it will be ready when you are.

I've moved too many tanks too many times. I've NEVER reused old water, especially that which was used for transport of livestock or rock - it'll be well on it's way to funky with fish waste by the time the tank is set back up.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 07:55 AM   #18
phoenix001
Premium Member

Hi Everyone - Thank you so much for all the comments. I went ahead and paid a local aquarium company to move the tank this past Monday - well worth the money but I was nervous the entire time! I replaced all the sand and although the tank was cloudy the first couple days, everything looks great now. Thanks again

Unread 12/20/2018, 08:00 AM   #19
phoenix001
Premium Member

Here is a pic of the tank in the new house - still some work to do

Unread 12/20/2018, 08:03 AM   #20
phoenix001
Premium Member

and now the pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank Move.jpg (35.4 KB, 21 views)
Unread 12/20/2018, 09:39 AM   #21
steallife904
Registered Member

ya it was well worth the money to me as well. and I was very nervous while they where doing it but all came out well.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote