Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2016, 03:52 PM   #126
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodave View Post
After making that adjustment on the nozzle and seeing how much it overflowed, I actually disassembled the pump and inspected the volute, which was clean. I will double check it again tonight. I am sure my DOC's are rising since this skimmer really hasn't done much in the last 5 weeks.
The only thing I have added to my tank other than food and 2-part, is a frag glued down with superglue about 4 weeks ago. I do not use filter socks, GFO, carbon or biopellets. I have not done any painting in my house or anything similar. Trust me, I have been reefkeeping for over 20 yrs., I know what will set a skimmer off, lol. That's not to say I know it all, so I was considering putting my old skimmer back in and see how it reacts.
I understand what you are saying with the height but I feel I would need to raise the skimmer well more than a inch above what I have already done to get some control, so I am thinking that the water height is not the problem. I am thinking either it is a contaminate in the water or a air intake issue on the skimmer??... And I really do appreciate all of your help!
An air intake issue would be directly related to salt creep in the intake nozzle but as I told you, 6" sump depth isn't out of the realm of what is normal for that skimmer and 1/2" of depth can make a HUGE difference. If your dissolved organics are really high, you might need it even shallower until the organics are reduced. Check the air intake where it meets the pump and make sure there isn't any salt creep in there. Also make sure the venturi hose isn't getting pinched. The only time I have seen that is on one skimmer where the customer cut some tubing off and had the wedge pipe closed 75% or more.

If you have some egg crate laying around then place some under the skimmer to raise it up and give it a try. Given how much I have successfully helped others with this model skimmer, I am pretty certain that if salt creep isn't your issue then the sump level is.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 03:58 PM   #127
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Could I have went with the dc180?
For the most part, I've reached my limit of fish-30. Now once my ATS gets growing, I can feed more which should increase some doc.
Some of my fish will eventually be larger tho, so I'm sure that'll help too.

Corey
You were right at the minimum for this skimmer and right at the end for the other skimmer. You could have gone either way. Still, I think your skimmer is working. I just think it could be doing so more efficiently. The lower pump speeds work pretty well with that model which is why I suggested it in the first place. The lower pump speed will decrease power usage and create better contact time which will remove more DOC's as water passes through it. At the end of the day, the skimmer will still end up removing the same level of DOC's its just that the lower pump speed will do a better job of it and do so a bit drier since the bubbles won't be bursting as fast. There is however a direct correlation to sump levels and pump speeds and while there isn't a finite level based on pump speed, the lower the speed, the higher the sump level or more closed you need the wedge pipe to get the water up higher in the neck. If your reasonably happy with the way it's performing and want it drier, you could also lower the level in the neck slightly by opening the wedge pipe up a fraction or go back to the lower pump speeds. It's up to you.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/02/2016, 04:55 PM   #128
biecacka
Registered Member

When I first shopped around I thought the 180 would be out of the question and even asked a few retailers for my 240 gallon tank with that many fish in it. The wedge is 60% closed now, I could set it lower in the sump I suppose. If that will help. I would love to have it working more efficiently if possible. I'm all ears...

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 06:12 PM   #129
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
When I first shopped around I thought the 180 would be out of the question and even asked a few retailers for my 240 gallon tank with that many fish in it. The wedge is 60% closed now, I could set it lower in the sump I suppose. If that will help. I would love to have it working more efficiently if possible. I'm all ears...

Corey
I wouldn't close the wedge anymore. I would lower the skimmer in the sump and drop the power down some.

Unread 02/03/2016, 12:07 AM   #130
biecacka
Registered Member

Ok. I dropped the speed down to 31 for tonight. I measured the water depth is 10.2inches. So I will find some couplings or something to lower it a tad bit more possibly. At least until my fish get larger and I start feeding 3-4 cubes a day for the larger fish.
Could the fact I run filter socks also be part of the reason for less solids to the skimmer. I'm changing them about 2-3 times a week keeping them fresh and trying to blow the rocks off to stir up debris.
Corey

Unread 02/03/2016, 06:41 PM   #131
autodave
Registered Member

I dropped my water level to 6.25in. yesterday and it is still overflowing today. Should I go to 6in.? I also was planning to do a water change tonight, should I hold off or shouldn't it matter. Thanks

Last edited by autodave; 02/03/2016 at 06:52 PM.
autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 07:17 PM   #132
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I dropped my water level to 6.25in. yesterday and it is still overflowing today. Should I go to 6in.? I also was planning to do a water change tonight, should I hold off or shouldn't it matter. Thanks
Yes. If you are absolutely certain that you don't have salt creep in your Venturi intake at the pump, then keep dropping it until the overflowing subsides. You can also try opening the volute up a little more but I would drop it first as you really shouldn't need to go past 4.5 turns.

Unread 02/03/2016, 07:56 PM   #133
UWUALineman
Registered Member

If I may jump in Slief. I started adjusting my 150 pretty much from the volute closed and slowly worked my way out while leaving the wedge pipe wide open. I struggled immensely trying to dial mine in until I really choked off the air supply due to overflows. Surging. No performance etc.
The past few months have been nothing but solid performance since.

UWUALineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 11:59 PM   #134
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWUALineman View Post
If I may jump in Slief. I started adjusting my 150 pretty much from the volute closed and slowly worked my way out while leaving the wedge pipe wide open. I struggled immensely trying to dial mine in until I really choked off the air supply due to overflows. Surging. No performance etc.
The past few months have been nothing but solid performance since.
Great to know and your contribution is more than welcome and very much appreciated. Any idea what you have the volute set to terms of how many full turns out? From my tests, the surging issue typically occurs when the volute is too closed. My testing here was done in a closed and controlled setup which I did some months back as I wanted to learn this particular skimmer. I found best results between 4 and 4.5 turns out. I also gathered that from some other people's results. In my tests, I setup a small tank with new salt water and added about 1/2 cup of skimmate to the water to insure there was sufficient DOC's. On the other hand, I don't know what the condition of the other peoples water was let alone the salinity but it seemed that around 4.5 turns was a starting point. That said, it would be really good to know approximately where you are set to but I'd hate to have you whack your skimmer out. On the flip side, every tank is different so adjusting the volute to find the sweet spot and best stability will be critical as no two tanks are alike. That is after all why the volute is adjustable.

Please feel free to share any tips you have. It's greatly appreciated. My hands on experience with the DC was kind of limited and like I said, it was in a very controlled enviornment.

Unread 02/04/2016, 02:24 PM   #135
UWUALineman
Registered Member

I have my DC150 sitting in 7 3/4" of water depth right now. I'm guessing my volute is somewhere around 3 turns out with the wedge pipe wide open. I was able to manipulate my skimmer chamber depth and this was where I found my particular setup to be most effective without closing the wedge. I chose this route due to the surging issue I struggled with nonstop months back. I am using it on a 60 gallon cube with 4 fish so my bio load is very light. Salinity runs 1.025 to 1.026 consistently.

Unread 02/04/2016, 09:03 PM   #136
autodave
Registered Member

Hi Slief, Last night I dropped my water level to 6" and it was still overflowing this morning so I dropped it to 5.75 and it stopped overflowing and has been consistent for the rest of the day. My level inside the skimmer is about half way up the cone. I started adjusting the wedge to bring the water level up in the skimmer but I don't think I can accomplish this without closing it more than 50%. I am still at 4.5 turns out.

Unread 02/04/2016, 09:15 PM   #137
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Slief, Last night I dropped my water level to 6" and it was still overflowing this morning so I dropped it to 5.75 and it stopped overflowing and has been consistent for the rest of the day. My level inside the skimmer is about half way up the cone. I started adjusting the wedge to bring the water level up in the skimmer but I don't think I can accomplish this without closing it more than 50%. I am still at 4.5 turns out.
That's good news. Sounds like you are really close. I would probably drain your collection cup and let it run for 24 hours and see if it starts collecting. If it doesn't you have a couple options as the level will likely need to be raised in the skimmer. Assuming you would have to close the wedge pipe too much, you could start turning the volute/nozzle inward (closing it) or raise the sump level ever so slightly. At this point, given the sump depth, I would probably opt for raising the sump level slightly as it accomplishes the same thing as closing the wedge pipe. The good thing is that I think you are close. If it were me, I would probably raise the sump level slightly. Then again, I do like to tinker and the volute can also have a big impact not only on the density of the foam but also on the level inside the skimmers. A slightl turn inward can have a big impact on the performance and level just as a slight turn out. That volute/nozzle is your tool to really fine tune the foam quality inside the skimmer and also has a direct impact on the water level. Your water level in the sump is your tool for getting the transition to foam level inside the skimmer into the ball park (base of the neck) while the wedge pipe is your tool for fine tuning the level in the skimmer.

When it was overflowing at 6", was it overflowing foam and what did the foam look like? Was it dense and thick? The kind of foam that will come out the collection cup lid vents and not turn to liquid? I ask because in some cases where there are a lot of organics in the water or something driving the skimmer nuts, allowing the skimmer to overflow into something like a 5 gallon bucket to collect the skimmate and switching the ATO water for salt water will allow the skimmer to remove whatever is driving it nuts. Kind of like using the skimmer to do a water change only the skimmer is primarily pulling out nasty stuff from the tank. Albeit really wet stuff. It just depends on how fast it would fill the cup and or bucket though and how watery it would be. If it took 24 hours to remove a few gallons, then that's fine. If it's something in the water that's driving it nuts, the condition will subside within a day or two if you are allowing the skimmer to remove it. I know I am throwing a lot at you right now but I figure the more information you get, the better the tools you have to make informed decisions.

Last edited by slief; 02/04/2016 at 09:42 PM.
Unread 02/04/2016, 10:24 PM   #138
autodave
Registered Member

At 6" the cup would fill up in less than an hour, so I was leaving the drain plug off so it would drain in my sump. As of now I have a nice billowing foam but it just too low to collect anything. I think I will let it run a day then try 6" again.

Unread 02/05/2016, 09:22 AM   #139
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
At 6" the cup would fill up in less than an hour, so I was leaving the drain plug off so it would drain in my sump. As of now I have a nice billowing foam but it just too low to collect anything. I think I will let it run a day then try 6" again.
If anything, find a happy medium between 5.75 and 6". Or, if you go to 6" and it overflows which it probably will, let it remove the skim and use some salt water instead of fresh water for your top off so you can allow the skimmer to remove some of the DOC's in case it's something in your water.

Unread 02/06/2016, 01:54 PM   #140
autodave
Registered Member

As of right now I have my skimmer in 5 7/8" of water, the nozzle 3.75 turns out and the wedge closed about 60-70%. I realize the wedge setting isn't ideal but it is producing a good foam head and I can probably start collecting some waste now.
It has been really sensitive about the height...at 6"depth, nozzle at 4.5 turns wedge fully open, it will most likely overflow. At 5 3/4 depth, nozzle at 4.5 turns, I have to just about close the wedge all the way to get the water height in the skimmer to move up.
I have also noticed that when closing the wedge pipe, it doesn't react much until I get to about 50% closed.
Here is a photo how it is looking:

Unread 02/06/2016, 04:21 PM   #141
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
As of right now I have my skimmer in 5 7/8" of water, the nozzle 3.75 turns out and the wedge closed about 60-70%. I realize the wedge setting isn't ideal but it is producing a good foam head and I can probably start collecting some waste now.
It has been really sensitive about the height...at 6"depth, nozzle at 4.5 turns wedge fully open, it will most likely overflow. At 5 3/4 depth, nozzle at 4.5 turns, I have to just about close the wedge all the way to get the water height in the skimmer to move up.
I have also noticed that when closing the wedge pipe, it doesn't react much until I get to about 50% closed.
Here is a photo how it is looking:

It's looking pretty good! I think you have the sump depth about right. You are correct in that it is very sensitive to sump level adjustments. The smaller the skimmer, the more sensitive the become. Now just use the volute to fine tune. You can compensate for the wedge pipe being more open by adjusting the volute but as long as you aren't experiencing surging, then you should be OK with the wedge being that far closed. The volute adjustments do have a direct impact on the level inside the skimmer. Also keep in mind that once your skimmer catches up and exports some of the dissolved organics, you will need to do a bit of fine tuning with the volute and or wedge pipe to adjust for the lower amount of dissolved organics as the foam head will likely drop a bit once it catches up.

Unread 02/07/2016, 07:10 AM   #142
himat
Registered Member

hi
slief

update of DC200 settings

I have run this at 32w wedge pipe full open and water depth of 21.5cm (one week run)
this has produced more than twice when set at 30 from last time.
see pic below
DSC_0312.jpg
DSC_0313-3.jpg

himat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 09:14 AM   #143
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by himat View Post
hi
slief

update of DC200 settings

I have run this at 32w wedge pipe full open and water depth of 21.5cm (one week run)
this has produced more than twice when set at 30 from last time.
see pic below
Attachment 341367
Attachment 341368
Damn, that looks pretty good!

Unread 02/09/2016, 08:56 AM   #144
biecacka
Registered Member

Ok, so I'm not sure if it is from my filter socks or not. But, I changed the one this morning and afterwards my skimmer went nuts overflowing. For 20 minutes it went haywire with a watery flow. I was my socks in a cap of bleach then run them thru 2 more cycles with no bleach or soap. When it settles down I might swap out socks to see if it happens again.

Corey

Unread 02/09/2016, 09:19 AM   #145
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Ok, so I'm not sure if it is from my filter socks or not. But, I changed the one this morning and afterwards my skimmer went nuts overflowing. For 20 minutes it went haywire with a watery flow. I was my socks in a cap of bleach then run them thru 2 more cycles with no bleach or soap. When it settles down I might swap out socks to see if it happens again.

Corey
Yes, that would be your from something on your filtersocks - Occasionally I get the same, after filter sock change. I'm down to washing filtersocks with just hot water, no bleach. But I use mesh socks, not felt.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 09:35 AM   #146
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Corey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Yes, that would be your from something on your filtersocks - Occasionally I get the same, after filter sock change. I'm down to washing filtersocks with just hot water, no bleach. But I use mesh socks, not felt.
I use the bleach method and never have any issues like that but I hear of this issue all the time with all kinds of different skimmer. Filter socks can change the surface tension of the water in the sump which can cause a skimmer to go haywire. Especially if it's adjusted wet. This is very common but generally will subside within a few hours.

While I have particularly large sump, what I do is turn my socks inside out when I wash them which may be one factor that makes a difference. That helps to insure that waste gets out of the socks instead of being trapped in the socks during the wash cycle. They go into the wash with a pre wash and an extra rinse cycle and a very small amount of bleach. I also rinse the soap trays before starting the wash. While not all that critical, it's easy to do on my machine and just something I have always done for peace of mind. One thing you can try after they are completely air dried is to wet them in water before placing them back into the sump. That would help eliminate air in the socks and my help reduce surface tension changes from the new socks.

Unread 02/09/2016, 12:16 PM   #147
biecacka
Registered Member

I wash mine inside out too. I actually thought of soaking them briefly in water before putting them online. This particular sock was dirty, so I wonder if flow through it was slower and when I switched them it caused a difference. I don't know but I opened my wedge 100% and turned the pump to 20 to keep it from overflowing anymore. It's back to normal now.
One good thing is it allowed me time to clean my neck on the skimmer really good!! an auto neck cleaner is on my list of things to buy.

Corey

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:25 PM   #148
autodave
Registered Member

Hi Slief, I'm still struggling to get my skimmer dialed in. I keep getting it to where I think it is good, and it will skim great for a day or two then the level in the skimmer begins to slowly rise and eventually overflow.
Right now I have my skimmer in 5.5" of water, wedge fully open and the nozzle 10 turns out.
I had a question on the nozzle, is there a point when turning it, that it will not have any affect on tuning the skimmer?

Unread 02/12/2016, 09:08 AM   #149
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Slief, I'm still struggling to get my skimmer dialed in. I keep getting it to where I think it is good, and it will skim great for a day or two then the level in the skimmer begins to slowly rise and eventually overflow.
Right now I have my skimmer in 5.5" of water, wedge fully open and the nozzle 10 turns out.
I had a question on the nozzle, is there a point when turning it, that it will not have any affect on tuning the skimmer?
Yeah you're at the point now we're turning it out further will not have any impact. Five turns out would be about the max that you should go. I would start turning it in from starting at 4 turns out. Another member is seeing great stability at 3 1/2 turns out. As such I would work your way in from four turns and see what that does. Hold off on making some level adjustments until you let it settle in for several hours after making that adjustment & and only make a subtle sump adjustment because after you put your hands in the water and make the adjustment it's going to take some time to settle back down and may change over the course of 24 hours.

Unread 02/12/2016, 04:43 PM   #150
UWUALineman
Registered Member

Dave I had to turn the air WAY back to get imy skimmer solid. I had the same issues. Set the sump level around 7 to 8 inches, open the wedge pipe all the way, and choke down the skimmer by turning the volute all the way in. Turn the volute out a full turn or so until you start to see a good mix of foam and don't touch it for a day. It may look like its way too low in the skimmer but it will settle in and rise a bit (also from oils on your skin will mess with the foam). Everyday check the skimmer and adjust the volute a bit and leave it. Patience doing this and you will hit the sweet spot.