Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2019, 09:44 AM   #1
jzdad
Love2Reef

Tank & Copper

Got a good deal on a tank but the tank was heavily dosed with copper for 4 weeks due to a ick breakout .the tank was cleaned and been sitting for 3 weeks.
My question is if I'm going to set up a mixed reef am i looking at a problem down the line with copper leaching in to the tank or is there something to do to the tank like a bleach soak then a soak in vinegar before setting it up

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 80g , ATI 6 bulb fixture, Omega 150 skimmer
jzdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 01:33 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Other than the rinse with tap water that I would suggest with any tank, no. Neither the glass or silicone can/will absorb any appreciable amount of copper.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Cleaning with vinegar and water will be fine.

Unread 09/20/2019, 06:42 PM   #4
jzdad
Love2Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Other than the rinse with tap water that I would suggest with any tank, no. Neither the glass or silicone can/will absorb any appreciable amount of copper.
Thanks, I was worried, you hear all kinds of things happening with chemicals or things leaching into tanks after they have a beautiful tank set up
Thanks for your input

Unread 09/20/2019, 06:45 PM   #5
jzdad
Love2Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
Cleaning with vinegar and water will be fine.
Ok, thanks !that’s what I was hoping for want to start a sps tank and don’t want anything going wrong , later on .
thanks for your input

Unread 09/20/2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you want to be belt and suspenders about this, get a pack of Polyfilter and cut a small bit of it: put it in with just plain water, and let it run a few days. If it stays white, no problem; if it gets a bluish cast, go ahead and put the rest in (saving one strip) and let it run until you're pretty sure it's got it all. then run the last strip and hope it stays white. Poly binds the copper and takes it away, if there should be any. If none shows, you're clean.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2019, 12:35 PM   #7
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

ployfilter will tell you if there is presence of copper.
Clean the tank well with either tapwater, vinegar or bleach water then dry it well. Run Carbon and polyfilter to know for sure.
Although glass and silicone does not absorb copper that may register on test kits.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2019, 12:16 PM   #8
jzdad
Love2Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
If you want to be belt and suspenders about this, get a pack of Polyfilter and cut a small bit of it: put it in with just plain water, and let it run a few days. If it stays white, no problem; if it gets a bluish cast, go ahead and put the rest in (saving one strip) and let it run until you're pretty sure it's got it all. then run the last strip and hope it stays white. Poly binds the copper and takes it away, if there should be any. If none shows, you're clean.
Ok, thanks for the info, gonna try it

Unread 09/26/2019, 12:22 PM   #9
jzdad
Love2Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
ployfilter will tell you if there is presence of copper.
Clean the tank well with either tapwater, vinegar or bleach water then dry it well. Run Carbon and polyfilter to know for sure.
Although glass and silicone does not absorb copper that may register on test kits.
Thanks, did both and a few plain water wash, Im probably being extra, Would hate to have a beautiful tank and later something happens and have no idea that happened, you hear about things happening all the time on the threads