Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2019, 09:49 AM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Red Bug Treatment

Can I use Interceptor Plus to treat red bugs or is only the regular Interceptor viable? I’ve been calling around vets in my area and they only carry the plus.

Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 10:01 AM   #2
James404
I <3 Acros

Interceptor plus also has Praziquantel added to it. I wouldn’t use it personally, although Prazi is known to be reef safe.

For red bugs I usually use Dr. G’s coral dip (dosed into the DT). It is the same active ingredient as interceptor.

Unread 01/11/2019, 02:39 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Interceptor plus also has Praziquantel added to it. I wouldn’t use it personally, although Prazi is known to be reef safe.

For red bugs I usually use Dr. G’s coral dip (dosed into the DT). It is the same active ingredient as interceptor.

Thanks. Can I dose Dr. G's directly into my tank with crabs, shrimp, snails, and clams?

Unread 01/18/2019, 07:36 AM   #4
JPMagyar
Registered Member

I have treated my whole reef with the combination med. It is reef safe, but you lose feather dusters and some bristle worms in addition to your shrimps, crabs and copepod population. Your clam will be fine. It is painful at first, but in the long run if you have a mature tank with SPS and want to keep them healthy you need to treat the whole system. I recommend replacing a portion of the live rock after you are done. I don't have proof, but I think you lose some beneficial bacteria when you treat the whole system.

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 04:15 PM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Ended up with diluting one whole large pill in 12 oz of water. I used 1ml per gallon. Dosed successfully, all bugs are dead, also pods are dead too. My emrald crabs lived and so did a small amount of baby nerite snails. I caught my shrimp and conch snails so not sure if those would have lived or died, but my fire shrimp did survive one treatment as I caught him while he was high as a kite after the first treatment.