Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2019, 02:06 AM   #1
sacha
Registered Member

Neon Green Nephthya Tree Coral getting back spots

Hi there

Our Neon Green Nephthya Tree coral hasn’t opened up for a few days and now we have noticed little black marks appearing on its tips and spreading.
Does anyone know what this is? Is it dying?
Please help!

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2019, 02:12 AM   #2
sacha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Hi there

Our Neon Green Nephthya Tree coral hasn’t opened up for a few days and now we have noticed little black marks appearing on its tips and spreading.
Does anyone know what this is? Is it dying?
Please help!
Images attached

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 534113D5-F351-4AAF-A13B-8EBD8D73F419.jpg (68.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 8FBD4D2B-D78C-4AB2-A377-5740DE125CF7.jpg (67.0 KB, 21 views)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2019, 02:05 PM   #3
lgtentacle
Registered Member

I have had similar issues with tree corals. The black spots will eventually be the start of the coral decomposing. When it happened to me, it was either an issue with water quality, another coral stinging it (torches, hammers, galaxia, etc), or water flow on the coral. Assuming that you have already checked your water parameter's and corrected any issues there, and that you would have already noticed if another coral was stinging this one, then the next step is to check the water flow. Coral's like these have a happy zone for water flow. Too much flow and the polyps never open and the coral eventually dies. Too little flow, then the coral can't shed it's skin properly and it decays. Ensure that the coral has gentle movement due to the flow, but not so much that it is being blown back. Keep in mind that as the coral gets more dense by the growth of additional arms, then a bit more flow is needed so that the water can get through (or thin out the coral). Adding Iodine will help the coral shed and it will help regenerate the coral tissue (hopefully you are already supplementing with Iodine). By doing this, small areas of decay may correct itself. If larger areas of decay are present, or the coral gets worse in some areas, then I recommend cutting off those pieces of the coral and getting them out of the tank. If you have leather corals in the tank, ensure that the shedding skin from those corals aren't getting on the tree corals (chemical warfare).

In the process of re-wiring my new house for my next tank (hopefully a 300 gallon mixed reef).

Current Tank Info: Currently a 125g fresh, but I'll be switching back to salt soon! (once I get the funds...<cry>)
lgtentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Jamie1210
Registered Member

This happened to me too last month when I decided to unplug my heater due to it being spring. Unfortunately, it was also a period of chilly weather and the tank temp remained cool (did not bother replugging heater in). Dont worry, we simply fragged off pieces that had the black spots and the piece is good again. The pieces that had the spots eventually rotted.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral advice, nephthya, tree coral