Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/08/2018, 11:36 AM   #476
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
What was the solution? I had the same problem but mini was out of warranty so I replaced it with dc180 which is dead silent. My mini 180 works but is relatively noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loosening the screws helped, but it was still to loud for me. Mine just has a vibration to it that I cannot get rid off. I do not think the noise level would bother some people, but for me it is to loud. It is collecting dust in my basement.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2018, 02:17 PM   #477
hedehodo
Registered Member

I am having trouble with my dc 150 pump. It's kicking a sound in every or 2 seconds. It's much like start and stop in every second and pump is surging. I tried to take it from skimmer body and completely disamble it. No cracking on impeller teeth or scratches on impeller. I tried it working alone without skimmer body. No luck. Any advice? I also tried to take a video but cant hear this sound in video.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

hedehodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2018, 04:04 PM   #478
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedehodo View Post
I am having trouble with my dc 150 pump. It's kicking a sound in every or 2 seconds. It's much like start and stop in every second and pump is surging. I tried to take it from skimmer body and completely disamble it. No cracking on impeller teeth or scratches on impeller. I tried it working alone without skimmer body. No luck. Any advice? I also tried to take a video but cant hear this sound in video.

Is it actually starting and stopping or is it just making a sound? How many turns out on the nozzle do you have it from fully closed? What is the sump depth? How old is the skimmer and when was the last time you took it fully apart for a thorough cleaning? I’d take it complete apart. Do a thorough cleaning per the instructions in this thread. Make sure you inspect the venturi port on the nozzle for salt creep. If I had to guess, I’d suspect it could either be the pump needing cleaning or that you need to open the nozzle more as that will cause surging and can make a bit of noise if the pumps not getting enough air.

Follow the cleaning instructions in this thread and be sure to clean the bearing as per post #2.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 08/03/2018 at 04:16 PM.
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2018, 04:14 PM   #479
hedehodo
Registered Member

It's running in 9 inches depth but it tried it in lower inches also without skimmer body, same results. I think it's not making start and stop just making crackling noise. I cleaned it 8 months ago, but when I checked tonight the pump was clean enough. Skimmer is 3 or 4 years old.

hedehodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2018, 04:19 PM   #480
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedehodo View Post
It's running in 9 inches depth but it tried it in lower inches also without skimmer body, same results. I think it's not making start and stop just making crackling noise. I cleaned it 8 months ago, but when I checked tonight the pump was clean enough. Skimmer is 3 or 4 years old.

The pump should be cleaned every 4-5 months. Calcium buildup inside the magnet cavity and bearing will create friction on the bearing and can cause the motor to temporarily go into protect mode and stop itself. Prolonged start/stops will cause premature failure.

Take a look at this thread and also read my edited post above because I revised my post at the same time you replied. A complete break down of the pump for proper cleaning is critical. If when you tested the pump, you still had the airline connected, you may need to open the nozzle up more too as I noted in my edited comment above. Again, take a look at this thread. Post 1 and 2 apply..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote