Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2011, 11:24 AM   #1
MarinePaethor
Registered Member

Pumps from Home Depot for return pump?

I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago and happened to walk by the section with all of the pumps that they sell. I am currently in to process of assembling all the needed equipment to switch out the canister filter I am currently using for a sump set up. Out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knows if general utility pumps like the ones they sell at Home Depot or Lowes would work as a return pump for a sump? Some of them are rated pretty high gph-wise. I am just trying to explore all of my options.

Thanks for any advice and info you can offer.

MarinePaethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 12:37 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I use one for the water change barrel (55g), BUT it does not stay in the water. It is there just long enough to make the transfer then removed. I would be shocked if there was not some exposed metal in there. FWIW - when this pumps fails, I will be replacing it with a mag drive maybe, or something similar that can stay submerged. I absolutely WOULD NOT use one as my main pump for my tank. They also transmit a huge amount of heat.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 01:14 PM   #3
WXB
Registered Member

A pump is a pump. Look for GPH thats the most important part. just make sure you keep it in a place that you can get to it. have cut off valves to make things nice and simple.

WXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 01:20 PM   #4
ludiNano
I'm becoming...Brundlefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXB View Post
A pump is a pump. Look for GPH thats the most important part. just make sure you keep it in a place that you can get to it. have cut off valves to make things nice and simple.
Not really... not all pumps are made to handle salt water and will corrode/rust quite easly. Not to mention the types of metals that could be used in those pumps if theres copper in them it could mean devastating consequences for coral.

I would choose a pump ment for salt aquarium uses.

ludiNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 02:37 PM   #5
docstomper
Registered Member

I would not buy a pump from home depot for your fish tank. Two Reasons

First: What everyone has said already. Metal leaking, heat...

Second: Electricity. Those pumps suck a TON of electricity. Nice Aquarium pumps are more expensive because they usually use much less electricity.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef. 48" 8 bulb t5, dolphin amp master return,
docstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:17 PM   #6
mchud
Registered Member

Like they said above. A pump is not just a pump. Yes they all pump water but thats it. Anytime you have a pump running 24 7 you really need tom make sure they are efficient and reliable. For a example i have a large koi pond just by upgrading the main pump i cut about $80 a month off my electric bill. You spend a little more at time of purchase but get it back fast in power savings. Along with knowing that it will serve your needs reliably. Why spend all this money on lighting livestock etc and cheep out on a pump. use cheep pumps for water transfer and stay with the good ones for 24 7.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Dt, 150 gal sump, 100 gal frag tank and 12000 gal koi pond and 1200 goldfish pond.
mchud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:54 PM   #7
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Not by a long shot

There significant differences between pumps designed for marine environments and those for freshwater. To that end, not all pumps suited for marine use are suitable (safe) for connection to your reef.

The seals, pump shaft and other wetted materials MUST be designed for marine use and also reef safe (no copper or other metals that can contaminate the water).

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 07:51 AM   #8
mattiej
Registered Member

Another consideration is that many of the pumps at HD are oil filled and can wipe out a tank if this oil ever leaks into the system. Take it from a guy who wiped out his wife's Koi pond by cheaping out on the pump.

Current Tank Info: 200 SPS, 1200 Scyliorhinus retifer and S. canicula, Shark Lagoon
mattiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 11:54 AM   #9
moondoggy4
Registered Member

MarinePaethor your are in a good spot you have over 90 post so you can buy from the used forum.
What size tank do you have?
Are you going to be running a sump?
What equipment do you have?
You can start with a shopping list and start buying everything you need at least a 50 % savings from the internet price which is a lot cheaper than retail.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Booeenie
Registered Member

I use a cheap HD one for water changes but that's it. I vacuum tank into brute, put cheap pump in a 5 gallon bucket next to brute (the cheap pumps leak pretty bad), and run a tube upstairs, out the window, and along the fence line. Some are oil filled, other just have exposed metal.

Booeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 01:26 PM   #11
purge43
Registered Member

My Hd pump has just become an issue. Its one of those waterbed water transfer pumps(the $90 model). But I have been using it weekly for maybe 5 years. I use it to transfer ro/di to my mixing drum when I mix up salt, and also to transfer ro-di to my make up drum. the problem is that the brushes for the motor have worn out and Im having a heck of a time finding replacements. I did find online a place that sells brushes but they are $30 a set plus shipping and Im not 100% sure they will work( the product descriptions are confusing ie old style or new style pump) I know if i order the one set it will be wrong. So do I fool around online and posibly spend $70 on getting brushes or spend another 20 and get a new pump. I have had mine apart several times and there definately is metal inside, two plates and the shaft for the impeller is metal and grease has to be applied to the impeller periodically( I use the silicone from lfs for gasket and O-ring seals). I definately would not use one for a sump return. Also you havent described your system, depending on the size and distance you surely could get away with a mag drive or a maxi-jet, they are cheap and imo very dependable. And maybe even cheaper then the hd pumps(the mag drives I know for sure are).

purge43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Bugcrusher
Registered Member

I have used them off and on myself. You have to look and make sure they are pond pumps and therfore rated for continous underwater use. I use a smaller basemanr sump pump to mis my saltwater and for fill/refill ops.

Bugcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 10:50 PM   #13
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugcrusher View Post
I have used them off and on myself. You have to look and make sure they are pond pumps and therfore rated for continous underwater use. I use a smaller basemanr sump pump to mis my saltwater and for fill/refill ops.
Again, if the pump is not designed for MARINE, then it should not be used. Furhtermore, even if it is listed for MARINE use, then you also need to ensure that it is reef safe. There are many materails used in "pond" or "marine" pumps that are not suitable for use on a reef aquarium. It only takes a very small amount of copper to destroy your reef system.

Unread 02/27/2011, 11:28 PM   #14
rwb500
Registered Member

Quote:
lol.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 11:46 PM   #15
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

We all have different areas of expertise and/or knowledge. You can't pick on a guy for offering bad advice if he didn't know it was bad advice.

Unread 02/28/2011, 12:04 AM   #16
dogstar74
Premium Member

One of the best all purpose pumps for small stuff is the Little giants. They have a very defined parts list and parts are easily aquired by most local plumbing shops. You don't even have to go online most of the time, but you can if you want.

There are more efficient pumps than the LGs though, so for constant use, I'd search out the more efficient pumps. They'll cost more, sometimes WAY more, but they use tens of watts instead of hundreds of watts, and can really pay for themselves over the long haul.

With pumps, you know they are going to fail or clog or need to be taken offline eventually. So either buy two so you have a spare, or buy the parts that normally breakdown like the impellor shaft. Many of the great aquarium pumps have replaceable shaft so if the ceramic breaks etc. Might as well buy the replacement when you buy the pump to minimize the panic if it ever goes down.

Just my .02
Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 07:51 AM   #17
strgazr27
Registered Member

I used a HD pump on my wifes pond for exactly 7 months. Why? That's how long each one lasted. Spent the money on a pump made for the purpose and never looked back. IMO there are areas in this hobby where you can save money and some areas you shouldn't. This is one of those areas.

Unread 01/18/2020, 01:59 PM   #18
becon776
Registered Member

reviving a wicked old thread wondering if cam use hime depot sump pump for water changes getting rodi to mixxjng container and gettung nsw frim basement into tank.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote