Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2016, 08:20 AM   #76
DeepSeaBeauti
Will Fielitz

Glad I found I found this discussion. The other one is a waste of time. Too much bickering.
I ordered mine on the 1st. I hope it comes soon. Very excited.

Will

Current Tank Info: 300G DD reef tank, 100g sump 40g breeder set up as a refugium, C-skim skimmer, , 2 165w LED and t5 setup, BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Fish: lawnmower blenny, 12clowns, Watchmen golby, FoxFace, Yellow angle, 6line wrase.
DeepSeaBeauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 08:24 AM   #77
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm very interested to see what the 3rd party aquarium equipment companies do with the API to make apps with.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 08:25 AM   #78
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
+1 we definitely need more info.
Has vertex released anything more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really surprised they haven't come out with that video yet.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/15/2016, 10:48 AM   #79
ayrkpatrickla
Registered Member

I am impatiently waiting for mine to arrive as well and would love to get more opinions from owners, as well as bounce questions off of them.

ayrkpatrickla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 11:03 AM   #80
The_Coleman
Registered Member

Quote:
According to vertex the controller uses standard probes, so if they don't get the vertex probes in you should be able to use any other standard probes. (Double check this)
I did ask that in email to Adam from Vertex. I think I posted it earlier in the thread. You can use non Vertex probes with the unit. I will probably order the BRS ones and get a generic float switch and mod it to handle my ATO needs.

Any other supplier to look for probes from? Vertex or otherwise?

The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2016, 09:14 AM   #81
Kazer
Registered Member

So I received my unit yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test anything out. My first impression without turning anything on is the multi bar and cerebra head unit itself are both pretty big. I am not sure if this is new because I haven't seen anything about it but they did include a probe holder which I haven't opened yet.

On a side note for mounting issues I can't see anyway to make this look appealing without designing a separate portion of your stand for this due to the size of the multi bar and head unit. That being said I don't think it will be too much of an issue and I do like the materials used just not the size factor.

Sorry if this isn't any useful information for you guys. I know what i said has already been discussed prior to this but I'll try and test the system itself over the next week.

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2016, 09:29 AM   #82
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazer View Post
So I received my unit yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test anything out. My first impression without turning anything on is the multi bar and cerebra head unit itself are both pretty big. I am not sure if this is new because I haven't seen anything about it but they did include a probe holder which I haven't opened yet.

On a side note for mounting issues I can't see anyway to make this look appealing without designing a separate portion of your stand for this due to the size of the multi bar and head unit. That being said I don't think it will be too much of an issue and I do like the materials used just not the size factor.

Sorry if this isn't any useful information for you guys. I know what i said has already been discussed prior to this but I'll try and test the system itself over the next week.
Yeah, several people (myself included) have raised that issue. Vertex released a video explaining why the controller was so big, but their reasons were inconsistent and didn't hold water (pun intended) IMO.

I'm interested to see how people handle mounting the controller as that's a major issue for me. The most common answer I've seen is to build a separate cabinet for the controller, but that doesn't seem like a great answer. Others have said they're planning on tucking the controller away somewhere and getting a cheap tablet to access it remotely, which may be the best solution.

How big is the power bar? In the pics it doesn't seem that much bigger than it would need to be to house 6 outlets along with the associated circuitry. There's extra space between the outlets, but that's a good thing, IMO, to allow space for any wall warts you may have.

Unread 08/16/2016, 10:00 AM   #83
jwilliams860
Registered Member

Quote:

Probe holder included would also be new. I got mine from the first batch and that was not included, I had to buy that separate.

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2016, 04:47 PM   #84
Kazer
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, several people (myself included) have raised that issue. Vertex released a video explaining why the controller was so big, but their reasons were inconsistent and didn't hold water (pun intended) IMO.

I'm interested to see how people handle mounting the controller as that's a major issue for me. The most common answer I've seen is to build a separate cabinet for the controller, but that doesn't seem like a great answer. Others have said they're planning on tucking the controller away somewhere and getting a cheap tablet to access it remotely, which may be the best solution.

How big is the power bar? In the pics it doesn't seem that much bigger than it would need to be to house 6 outlets along with the associated circuitry. There's extra space between the outlets, but that's a good thing, IMO, to allow space for any wall warts you may have.
Yeah I've seen the video and I agree with you on that assessment haha. I think it could have been built differently but it's not the worst thing in the world. It's wide but light in weight. I can see what they mean by trying to reduce the amount of salt build up inside the actual ports and internal portions of the head unit but I don't think it needed to be so big.

I agree that for people who currently either have a stand they are not able to modify for them to fit this unit or there isn't enough space to slide it under, it kind of sucks. This isn't small by any means and I'll post pictures later.

A cheap solution could possible be a long usb plug not sure what the other connection is called but I took a picture, and wire this some place in the house to hide the head unit itself.

Another idea would be to use a cheap wicker basket next to the stand maybe decorate it a little and then drill some holes for the cords to come out of. I am not sure when they will make it available for us to use a tablet but that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fortunately I am I will be upgrading soon so I plan on making a compartment that will fit the whole unit.

I took pics of the head unit and the power bar next to both a water bottle and a 2 liter for comparison. It was the closest things to me haha. I can't fit more than 2 per post I guess so I'll make a few more posts.

Edit: so I am not able to upload any other pictures but I hope you're able to judge the size of the unit itself in those pics. Please be aware the sides of the head unit are plastic and are easily broken if you hold the unit by the side. I may have accidently broke a piece off haha but super glue is my friend.

The probe holder is a clip on unit for 3 probes. Seems to be made of plastic but I didn't look at it too long.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160816_182802.jpg (24.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20160816_182636.jpg (25.8 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Kazer; 08/16/2016 at 04:52 PM.
Unread 08/16/2016, 09:02 PM   #85
jason2459
Registered Member

Wow. Well, that's all I'll say as I keep getting attacked when I state my opinion in these controller threads recently.

There's a lot of potential for the controller though, I will say that. And I like they use standard USB and not a USB cable that will fry any USB device.

Unread 08/17/2016, 12:12 AM   #86
Kazer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Wow. Well, that's all I'll say as I keep getting attacked when I state my opinion in these controller threads recently.

There's a lot of potential for the controller though, I will say that. And I like they use standard USB and not a USB cable that will fry any USB device.
I'm confused. Did you feel like I attacked you about anything? Or is this directed at someone else. I only ask because not that many people talked since your last post and I don't want you to feel attacked.

On a side note they do use mostly bnc for the probe connections. I'll make an actual list of what the connection sites are tomorrow.

Unread 08/17/2016, 02:53 AM   #87
LXXero
Moved On

Naw, he's not mad at you, he's mad at me from the apex thread the other day, lol, and now he's flame-baiting me or something. Oh well. I wasn't planning on participating in this thread cause i'm not a cerebra owner, but heh, that's never stopped some people....People who get offended often deserve to be offended, and I can only apologize that he's let that spill into your conversation.

I think what he's trying to say is, next to the coke bottle, it looks pretty huge.

And...that's what she said, lol.

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 05:56 AM   #88
The_Coleman
Registered Member

I just figured he got confused as to which thread he was in and meant to post in the other thread of hate.

The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 07:18 AM   #89
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm confused. Did you feel like I attacked you about anything? Or is this directed at someone else. I only ask because not that many people talked since your last post and I don't want you to feel attacked.

On a side note they do use mostly bnc for the probe connections. I'll make an actual list of what the connection sites are tomorrow.
No not you at all. I totally appreciate your post. Thank you.

It wasn't directed at any one person just the general trend now to get on others cases for stating their opinion on a product that may not line up with someone else's opinion or wants.

Lxxero I've had enough of your attacks in posts and private messages. That post wasn't towards you specifically but towards everyone and how uptight everyone has become. This is my last comment towards you.

Last edited by jason2459; 08/17/2016 at 07:23 AM.
Unread 08/17/2016, 07:26 AM   #90
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

I'm patiently waiting for BRS's shipment too, and I was planning on building a separate cabinet to house the unit next to my stand. I'm cramped on space in my stand so it'll give me a place to store more stuff.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 07:33 AM   #91
Kazer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXero View Post
Naw, he's not mad at you, he's mad at me from the apex thread the other day, lol, and now he's flame-baiting me or something. Oh well. I wasn't planning on participating in this thread cause i'm not a cerebra owner, but heh, that's never stopped some people....People who get offended often deserve to be offended, and I can only apologize that he's let that spill into your conversation.

I think what he's trying to say is, next to the coke bottle, it looks pretty huge.

And...that's what she said, lol.
Oh I see. Lol man you can't do a that's what she said to your own thing you said but seriously thought I thought the same thing when I placed the 2 liter next to the bar.

Unread 08/17/2016, 07:37 AM   #92
Kazer
Registered Member

Quote:
No not you at all. I totally appreciate your post. Thank you.

It wasn't directed at any one person just the general trend now to get on others cases for stating their opinion on a product that may not line up with someone else's opinion or wants.

Lxxero I've had enough of your attacks in posts and private messages. That post wasn't towards you specifically but towards everyone and how uptight everyone has become. This is my last comment towards you.
OK I understand now. I was confused for a second because I didn't think anyone was attacking anyone yet haha. But you're welcome.

I know we talked about getting the cerebra in the other cerebra thread. I will try and let you know more info since this is my first day off since I have had it so it gives me time to play around with it a little.

Unread 08/17/2016, 08:09 AM   #93
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
OK I understand now. I was confused for a second because I didn't think anyone was attacking anyone yet haha. But you're welcome.

I know we talked about getting the cerebra in the other cerebra thread. I will try and let you know more info since this is my first day off since I have had it so it gives me time to play around with it a little.
Thats awesome thanks.

That 2 liter picture was eye opening. Which is what that Wow referred to. I'd be interested how you like the interface. Looks nice.

Unread 08/17/2016, 08:13 AM   #94
SaltLife19
Registered Member

I'm patiently waiting on mine from AquaCave. Should take delivery by the end of the month. I think this unit is going to look really good mounted on my wall with a speaker, next to the aquarium. It may be a little big, but I guarantee it will be a conversation starter to anyone who comes in and sees it. There is a wow factor! To anyone who has taken delivery, please share pictures on how you have mounted yours. I will be installing one for my tank and one for my buddy who will be controlling 3 tanks with his. As soon as the builds begin I will share pictures.

SaltLife19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 09:11 AM   #95
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

End the drama posts now. There is an "ignore" button for a reason. Any more of the petty, childish posts will result in a suspension of privileges.

If you wonder if this applies to you, it probably does.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 10:37 AM   #96
DeepSeaBeauti
Will Fielitz

I came on this post because it was actually informative. I feel like this one is going south fast, its a shame.

Anyway, Im on pins and needles waiting for mine to arrive. Its killing me.

Current Tank Info: 300G DD reef tank, 100g sump 40g breeder set up as a refugium, C-skim skimmer, , 2 165w LED and t5 setup, BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Fish: lawnmower blenny, 12clowns, Watchmen golby, FoxFace, Yellow angle, 6line wrase.
DeepSeaBeauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 10:39 AM   #97
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaBeauti View Post
I came on this post because it was actually informative. I feel like this one is going south fast, its a shame.

Anyway, Im on pins and needles waiting for mine to arrive. Its killing me.
Not going south. Kazer had a great update post. Keep them coming.

Unread 08/17/2016, 10:53 AM   #98
Kazer
Registered Member

Not sure if they listed some where but I assume they did. I'll post this here so you won't have to search elsewhere.

6 power outlets type b connection
2 ph ports bnc connection
1 redox port bnc connection
1 dissolved oxygen port bnc connection
2 level sensor ports (optical or mechanical) mini din connection
1 part port mini din connection
1 1-10v control rj11 connection
Up link usb -b

I think I saw 6 usb ports one is used for the wifi tplink connection.

So far all I've done is updated my unit and set up the multibar. Everything seems pretty simple so far. I have wifi lights so I haven't really adjusted a time but it's as simple as the videos on YouTube show.

I did notice the lower left corner of the screen I do have an issue but it's minor. The glue they used doesn't seem to stick very well so it does come out a little so I push it back in but it keeps coming out slightly. Not a huge issue just annoying.

When using the touch screen it's a lot easier to use the stylus pen than my finger. That being said it does take some adjustment because you do need to apply slightly more pressure than if you used a tablet or smartphone.

I need to figure out the home screen on how to show everything that is going on. I've tried multiple times to change the display but it sticks to the default. I have not hooked up my temp probe as of yet.

They do have the cloud set up but you need to get a generated number from their site which I have not done yet.

Other then that I have had 2 errors while driving to update but I think that's more user error from not updating in the proper order. The system seems pretty easy to use so far though. This is my first controller so I would like to hear from cali on his thoughts since he will be using both side by side.

Unread 08/17/2016, 11:00 AM   #99
jason2459
Registered Member

Is the 1 redox port shared with the ph port or are they actually separate?

Unread 08/17/2016, 11:13 AM   #100
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

Quote:
Is the 1 redox port shared with the ph port or are they actually separate?
They're separate BNC ports.

https://i.imgur.com/JcQVA28.jpg

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote