Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Subpilot
Registered Member

Trigger Systems Platinum Sump Stripped Gear

My two week old Trigger Systems Platinum Sump just stripped two teeth off the filter roll take up sprocket! The thing has been really making groaning sounds since I got it every time it spools up some filter and I have been very concerned as it uses plastic gears. The supply roll was free to spin and the filter was correctly aligned in the filter path. I was excited about this thing as it filters well but if the fix is just another brittle plastic gear then I feel like I cannot rely on it.
Trigger Systems does not list any customer support or contact information at all on its website. Fortunately I got a contact number from a previous post. Going to call them Monday and see what they intend to do about it.

Subpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Subpilot
Registered Member

Stripped Gear

Machined surface on the other side of the take up roll is pretty rough. Definitely not a nice smooth surface and it has allot of tension on it. Lots of rolling resistance and with 10" wide roll there is allot of tension required to pull filter through.

Unread 10/26/2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If it were me & they sent another plastic one I would think about one made by a printer.
Perhaps they have a way with tougher materials.
Trace the outline before installation.
Agreed machining leaves something to be desired.
Shame because I was thinking about one.
Keep us up to date please.

Unread 10/26/2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Subpilot
Registered Member

I have a 3d printer and am proficient at Inventor so I was considering making a gear but am really hoping that Trigger Systems comes through on this. I really doubt that even a carbon fiber reinforced nylon filament like NylonX would hold up for long. I imagine this could be a big seller but if it proves to be unreliable it's dead in the water. I suppose something has to be the weak link in the gear train and having the spur gear break is better than the gear box or take up roller gear. I think there is too much slop and tensions and friction are too high for the mechanism as is. I suspect that I am not going to be the only one with this issue.

Unread 10/28/2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Subpilot
Registered Member

So Trigger Systems website has absolutely no customer support information and the number I got for Trigger Systems LLC in Texas (214)280-5178 does not answer calls or text. On their "about" page they say they pride themselves on their customer service.
Does anyone have any idea on how to get ahold of somebody there?

Unread 10/28/2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Might have to go through where you bought it.

Unread 10/28/2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Subpilot
Registered Member

Yea, I have contacted AquaCave and their customer support is helping me. They picked up on second ring. They seem to have top notch customer service.

Unread 10/29/2019, 05:00 PM   #8
coseal
Registered Member

wow! that looks like an acrylic gear?

coseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Subpilot
Registered Member

It is indeed an Acrylic Gear. That worries me allot as I dont see acrylic as being good for a wear surface long term and it is brittle. Trigger Sys is sending a new gear and take up spool and said that they have had some small number of manufacturing defects. They claim they have run the sumps with those gears for 2 years of testing and never had a gear break. The sumps is a beauty and I hope this turns out to be a rare occurrence. I am wondering about using a bit of food grade silicone grease on the rotating surfaces.

Unread 10/30/2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

A Little Dab Will Do Ya!
Couldn't hurt----

Unread 10/30/2019, 11:15 AM   #11
LQT
Registered Member

Definitely keeping an eye on how this plays out. Was super excited when they released these sumps. Very curious to see how long that replament acrylic gear lasts.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2019, 09:50 PM   #12
Subpilot
Registered Member

Got a replacement roller and gear and it is running smoothly. I am not thrilled about gear but guess it will work. However now the motor keeps going no matter what I do with float switches. Uhg, don't know if that was caused by gear jamming up and breaking or if motor running was to blame for broken gear. Frustrating.

Unread 11/04/2019, 11:17 PM   #13
Subpilot
Registered Member

As I suspected there is a FET transistor used as a low side switch to drive the motor and when those fail they typically fail shorted as this one has. Not sure what the part number is but it is in a SOT23 surface mount package and if it is like a 2n7002 then it can only handle 100mA of current. Seems pretty weak for driving a motor that could draw 300mA when stalled and is very likely why it failed. Overall the "electronics" are very cheap. No microcontroller and it is basically the FET, two leds, a flyback diode and a few resistors. Probably less than $2 worth of parts. Not impressed. Granted it doesn't have to do much other than switch on and off the motor based on float switches but for almost $1000 I would have expected better. Clearly they are shooting for big profits over quality. The wall wart the thing comes with is tiny and only rated to 230mA. Likely straining to run that motor. Again as cheap as possible. Motor and gearbox are very low end junk like you would find in a toy car. The more I look at this thing the more issues I notice. Very disappointed.

Unread 11/04/2019, 11:40 PM   #14
Subpilot
Registered Member

Screw it I'm going to run the motor off an aux DC port on my tank controller and let it monitor the float switches. That is better anyway as I can then see the status of the filter roll remotely. Can also use the data to track how much filter roll has been used, how dirty the water is by how often it runs and probably a few other things that may come to mind. I modeled the gear in Inventor and will print one out if it fails again.

Unread 11/05/2019, 08:13 AM   #15
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

At least you are savy enough to troubleshoot this on your own.
Most including myself would just be COMPLETELY LOST.

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:11 AM   #16
Subpilot
Registered Member

It definately comes in handy to be electronically savey. I was going to see what Trigger Systems was going to do about it before diving in but my curiosity got the better of me. I have it hooked up to my Robotank controller and its working great. Completely bypassed the interface board and connected straight to the motor and float switches.

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:19 AM   #17
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I would still break their shoes!

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:23 AM   #18
Subpilot
Registered Member

I imagine that my posting of this and detailed negative reviews are breaking their shoes.

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:25 AM   #19
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Direct contact if @ all possible ---
I will not pursue anything with them until this is resolved.
As will,a lot of others.

Unread 11/22/2019, 06:57 PM   #20
dfleary
Premium Member

I was going to buy one in December, but after reading this discourse, I've changed my mind.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal. Marine
dfleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 08:18 PM   #21
Subpilot
Registered Member

It has been trouble free since I received new gear. It is a nice looking sump and the water path is great. It is too high of a price for what it is in my opinion and the controller is a joke. As long as motor/gear doesn't jam I suspect it will work. Dunno.

Unread 11/22/2019, 11:48 PM   #22
dfleary
Premium Member

Did you end up putting food-grade silicone lubricant on the gear?

Please post updates. As it is, I'm too wary to buy their Platinum sump now. What a mess if it broke down, and there is no place to put proper filter socks...

Unread 11/23/2019, 12:05 AM   #23
Subpilot
Registered Member

I did not put any grease on it. Honestly they did fix that issue with new gear and roller. I had used calipers to measure it and the original gear was elliptical by a bit. I bought this because of the roller mat being 10" wide. It works awesome as far as filtration. I would never go back to filter socks. I replaced my Clairisea Roller Mat with this and the roll is lasting much longer (as advertised) Has ability to flow a ton more water as well. They did stand behind their product and offered to do whatever it took to fix it so kudos there. I don't want to totally bag on them. It is a pretty steep cost compared to their non-roller mat options.

Unread 11/23/2019, 04:57 PM   #24
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Tis sump buying season, thanks for the review. Maybe they should hire you fix there basic electronics. A little consulting fee so do speak.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2019, 05:20 PM   #25
dfleary
Premium Member

SubPilot,

Is there since replacing the gear, is there still lots of straining, resistance and groaning sounds when it's rolling?

I keep waiting to see someone post a video review of the Platinum sump on YouTube!