Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2019, 11:26 AM   #26
becon776
Registered Member

tagging along

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 12:29 PM   #27
Subpilot
Registered Member

I have to say that the roller setup is working very well now and it is not straining at all. Was just a bad batch of gears apparently. I'm sure they have sold quite a few by now and there haven't been other people saying they had issues so I guess that is a solved problem. I pre ordered mine so likely got one the first ones off the line. Always a bad idea.

Subpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 01:03 PM   #28
becon776
Registered Member

so... i bit the bullet and purchase one of these. didnt see your post till just now. hopefully was a manufacturer defect. i do have a couple product related questions.
- which compartment do they intend for you to use as a fuge? it would seem logical to go thru roller to skimmer section to fuge to return pump section... however with the specialized baffle it would appear that they want you to have the fuge immediately following the rollermat?? I hope that is not the setup bc it doesnt make sense biologically plus would have probe holders in fuge section.

My cheif concern is the room for plumbing on the "inside" back wall. it may be that the pics just dint show it frim a goid angle. i will be plumbing from a reefer 450 so the plumbing will drop down and run flush with back wall to the sump inputs. in some of the pics it looks at though the "cintrol apparatus" for the mat blocks the ability to run the pipe 2-3" above and parallel with the back rim of sump

Last edited by becon776; 12/31/2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot last part
Unread 12/31/2019, 03:16 PM   #29
Subpilot
Registered Member

Which Sump did you get? Order in all of them is roller mat -> skimmer -> fuge -> return.

Unread 12/31/2019, 03:18 PM   #30
becon776
Registered Member

trigger platinum 34,
ok thats what i figured. also hoping ti squeeze a brs media reactor into return section.
sump arrives thursday

Last edited by becon776; 12/31/2019 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 12/31/2019, 03:23 PM   #31
Subpilot
Registered Member

Yes from left to right the water path and is roller mat -> skimmer -> fuge -> return. Drains connect to stand pipes in left rear behind roller mat. There is a clamp on stand pipe intended for return pump connection on far right side away from roller mat.

Unread 12/31/2019, 03:27 PM   #32
Subpilot
Registered Member

The return section is a fixed size but you could possibly put media reactor in skimmer section and loose a bit of fuge space.

Unread 01/01/2020, 06:06 AM   #33
JWClark
Registered Member

Just FYI, I use a BRS media reactor in my 450 sump return. I mounted it above inside the stand so only the pump is in the return section. You should easily be able to do this. Plenty of room, especially when using the small one.

If mounting a standard BRS reactor, be sure to mount high enough to have room to unscrew the reactor w/out hitting the top of the sump.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 11:13 AM   #34
becon776
Registered Member

ok... thank you so much for replies!
I ordered the 34 model. @JWClark. Are you running the platinum sump???? i just saw that you have a reefer 450 as well!!. if so I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PIC OF YOU PLUMBING!! Like that would be incredible. a touch anxious about doing it.
right now here is my plan. standpipe drop to red sea #42221 to npt 3/4" slip adapter to spears gate valve to 90° over to behind mat 90° to 3/4->1" bushing.
man i feel so much better knowing you have a 450.... it CAN be done!

Unread 01/02/2020, 07:36 AM   #35
JWClark
Registered Member

No, sorry, just the standard stock sump. Just figured what I did w/ the BRS reactor would help. I have run them sitting in the sump but, in my opinion, it is more of a PITA that way.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 12:00 PM   #36
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

FWIW, I bought an Emerald 39 a few years ago and still in use. I contacted Trigger about modifying the sock holder, which they did and sent me at no cost, other than shipping. Really good customer service.
I emailed them then at sales@triggersys.com and the response time was good. The OP seemed to have trouble communicating with them, maybe this may help.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 06:00 PM   #37
becon776
Registered Member

yeah just as i figured the roller cintrol box is RIGHT in the way of where i meed to run plumbing

Unread 01/03/2020, 09:47 PM   #38
amebcia
Registered Member

Hi Subpilot,
I just got my platinum today and ran into a problem with the roller.

Under what conditions does the roller start moving for you?

My roller powers on fine (blue led) and manual rolling works (pressing the motor button). However, automatic rolling does not seem to work.
- The float in the return section is above water level
- Water in the roller section rises and the two floats are below water level
- I would expect that the roller would start moving at this point, but it does not.

amebcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2020, 06:11 PM   #39
daniellemanuel
Registered Member

Following. Also considering buying one

daniellemanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2020, 06:43 PM   #40
daniellemanuel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
yeah just as i figured the roller cintrol box is RIGHT in the way of where i meed to run plumbing
Did you get yours set up? Would love to see pics. Plan to put one on a reefer 525

Unread 01/21/2020, 06:51 PM   #41
becon776
Registered Member

no, unfortunately it was damaged during shipping and the oos at brs. so i cancelled bc i bought the trident in between the return and them getting back in stock. gotta not go too crazy or wife will give me the peoples eyebrow.
BUT!!! I have been in communication with thomas at trigger. we had previously discussed doing a mirror image of the trigger triton sump that was awhile ago. So i asked him today if it would be possible to do a mirror image of the trigger platinum amd explained that the control box is kind if in the way. If he responds back i will tell him that right off the bat he would have another buyer as well. also didnt seem loke there would be a custom charge when we discussed the trigger triton model.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 01/21/2020, 07:26 PM   #42
daniellemanuel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
no, unfortunately it was damaged during shipping and the oos at brs. so i cancelled bc i bought the trident in between the return and them getting back in stock. gotta not go too crazy or wife will give me the peoples eyebrow.
BUT!!! I have been in communication with thomas at trigger. we had previously discussed doing a mirror image of the trigger triton sump that was awhile ago. So i asked him today if it would be possible to do a mirror image of the trigger platinum amd explained that the control box is kind if in the way. If he responds back i will tell him that right off the bat he would have another buyer as well. also didnt seem loke there would be a custom charge when we discussed the trigger triton model.

Trying to imagine bow the controller is in the way. It would definitely be easier to have the roller on the right side. Couldn't you just run plumbing along the top back of the cabinet and down into the sump?

Unread 01/22/2020, 04:00 AM   #43
becon776
Registered Member

well you could but its jist not ideal the clearance between the pipes are pretty damn tight. no way to put in a union.
unless u run the pipe down from tank then back up then down again. Also the spears gate valve has to be horizontal and not vertical (fine but not ideal) bc of the way the reefer did their plumbing (metric) you need to put in adapters and such which gives you less vertical room from lip of sump to bottom plumbing right out of the gate. in addition with all this tight fitting the fact that you have to crisscross the left side return pump back across the drain pipes adds to complication it can be done but not ideal.
you may be able to do it with less hassle bc you have a tad more room front to back in the sump area. so you could run pipes behind sump (but above lip) then throw a couple 90° in there to attach to bring fwd to sump.

still i say that for our tanks... a build that is mirror image would be perfect and almost pnp

to OP:Apologies for jacking this thread. i did receove the sump but was damaged we claimed shipping. but i know is wasnt. it was damaged at packing at trigger. the "gem" plate that the mat lays on was cracked inside the sump. everythjng was shoved in there so tight not even funny.

Last edited by becon776; 01/22/2020 at 04:06 AM.
Unread 01/29/2020, 04:16 AM   #44
becon776
Registered Member

yes david at trigger says they cam do it

Unread 12/14/2020, 01:13 PM   #45
becon776
Registered Member

motor to 24V dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subpilot View Post
Screw it I'm going to run the motor off an aux DC port on my tank controller and let it monitor the float switches. That is better anyway as I can then see the status of the filter roll remotely. Can also use the data to track how much filter roll has been used, how dirty the water is by how often it runs and probably a few other things that may come to mind. I modeled the gear in Inventor and will print one out if it fails again.
Hey there subpilot,
So whilst I am an electronic dummy, I am obsessed with this idea... Did you use the 24v dc outlet on an apex?? I am dying to put one of these to use and this seems the perfect use. I did communicate with Trigger and they said that the motor is 12V so am curious if you stepped down the 24v with a resistor or used a relay.... or just went right to bare wire connection to to 24v dc. (of course these quesitons are moot if it is not an apex controller.)

I definately see the pluses of using a BOB along with the 24 vdc connection. Or for that matter figure out how to 1link it!

Thanks,
Ben

Unread 12/21/2020, 03:36 PM   #46
Newtybar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subpilot View Post
My two week old Trigger Systems Platinum Sump just stripped two teeth off the filter roll take up sprocket! The thing has been really making groaning sounds since I got it every time it spools up some filter and I have been very concerned as it uses plastic gears. The supply roll was free to spin and the filter was correctly aligned in the filter path. I was excited about this thing as it filters well but if the fix is just another brittle plastic gear then I feel like I cannot rely on it.
Trigger Systems does not list any customer support or contact information at all on its website. Fortunately I got a contact number from a previous post. Going to call them Monday and see what they intend to do about it.
Total bummer, sorry to hear. I have a TS Sump too...

Newtybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 04:06 PM   #47
Subpilot
Registered Member

I got one of the first ones and they fixed the issue. Since getting the new gears it has worked flawlessly. It is a really great sump.