Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2018, 05:43 PM   #1
wdavid
Registered Member

6 bulb tek light vs aquatic life 4 bulb + 2 radion XR15pros for 75g SPS tank

I'm changing my lighting from 2 radion XR 15s because I feel like my lighting isn't adequate enough for SPS. I received an old 6 bulb tek light with metal feet that needs 2 reflectors a while back so it's between that or buying an aquatic life 48" to go along with my radions. If I use the tek light I'd be "saving" 300$ for the aquatic life fixture (+ cost of mounts), but I'd also kinda be wasting the LEDs, at least temporarily.

What do you think will be a better for the growth of SPS? 6 bulb tek light mounted fairly close to surface or a higher mounted 4 bulb + LEDs?

Thanks for the input

wdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 06:09 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Many people are just adding supplemental t5 fixtures and keeping the LED to have better control of colors and still keep that LED shimmer,etc...
Thats "better for the user" ...

Its been proven that just t5 lighting is sufficient for SPS corals.. OF course its also been shown that you can be successful with LEDs alone too..
So no one can really say that the combo is "better for the corals" as each one can work just fine on its own..