Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 01:27 PM   #1
AVerhoeven
Registered Member

Used Ecotech XR30 Pro G4s: Good Deal?

I just found a great deal on a used (supposedly 6 months old and typically run ~50%) set of Ecotech Radion XR30 Pros (Gen 4). Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Should I be leary? Is there anything problematic with the idea?
I've never bought LEDs (always had MH/T5s on my tanks in the past, but I'm currently in the planning stages of a new, big tank and the wife insists on the LED pendant look. I just don't know what to beware of/look for on a used LED.

AVerhoeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 01:36 PM   #2
asonitez
Floodicus Maximus Flooris

I’d look for dirty fans, burnt out leds I’d run them and compare the leds colors make sure they look even. I’d also make sure the cables and power supplies are in good shape.

I’d also look at the reeflink and see if it’s detected. If it is you can see the age of it the lights and manufacturer dates and if their firmware is current. Used I got my g4s for around 500 each. I wouldn’t pay over 6 each. For that I’d rather go new.

Just my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asonitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 01:52 PM   #3
AVerhoeven
Registered Member

These come with the diffusers and they're asking 600 each. The picture of the underside (including visible fans), cables and power supplies, everything looks clean from what I can tell. Unfortunately, I can't test them in person until they're shipped out to me. I'd use Paypal to give me some safety though in case I get them and there's a problem. Could grab a Reeflink so that it's here when the lights are too.

AVerhoeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 06:56 PM   #4
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVerhoeven View Post
These come with the diffusers and they're asking 600 each. The picture of the underside (including visible fans), cables and power supplies, everything looks clean from what I can tell. Unfortunately, I can't test them in person until they're shipped out to me. I'd use Paypal to give me some safety though in case I get them and there's a problem. Could grab a Reeflink so that it's here when the lights are too.
So $200 off on the lights and the $65 diffusers are added.
Sounds like a decent deal to me.
I would also want to know the manufacturing date which will be on all Radion fixtures.
There have been no glaring issues with the Gen 4's ( or any of them ) that I've heard of.
I've had my gen 4's for about a year and a half.

I'd ask to have them shipped free.