Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2020, 01:55 PM   #3376
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Anyone dealt with Error 11 on masterflex 7523-70?

gw11ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 08:52 PM   #3377
jduck
Registered Member

Bad bearing??
Or normal noise above 3rpm?

https://youtu.be/JrC_9kkjxUQ

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:10 PM   #3378
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
Bad bearing??
Or normal noise above 3rpm?

https://youtu.be/JrC_9kkjxUQ
Hmm, what firmware is on that drive? That isn't necessarily normal, however, I do have two identical drives with different firmware and the one with the older firmware makes that sound. I don't think it's a bearing.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2020, 01:12 PM   #3379
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw11ucb View Post
Anyone dealt with Error 11 on masterflex 7523-70?
Yes, I had this when the drive was on a power strip that had metal halides connected to it. I gave it a different power source and it cleared up. Error code 11 is a bus under voltage error.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:14 PM   #3380
jduck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Hmm, what firmware is on that drive? That isn't necessarily normal, however, I do have two identical drives with different firmware and the one with the older firmware makes that sound. I don't think it's a bearing.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:15 PM   #3381
tkeracer619
Registered Member

****New Contender for Continuous Duty Persitaltics!****

Hey guys, Ecotech has come out with a pump called the Versa. It is built to be continuous duty, app controllable, quiet, and affordable. They're $150 new.

I have one coming as do a few other friends. Will be swapping over asap to give a good review on it. This has been in the works for a while and I have communicated with ecotech many times regarding this... They are very aware of this thread and that we needed a continuous duty pump. It was built with this setup in mind . Can't wait to get mine up and running.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:16 PM   #3382
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I'll check my drive when I get home.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:17 PM   #3383
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I had this when the drive was on a power strip that had metal halides connected to it. I gave it a different power source and it cleared up. Error code 11 is a bus under voltage error.
Thanks. I think I try it plugging directly into an outlet and it still gives me the error. I'll try it again tonight.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:47 PM   #3384
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw11ucb View Post
Thanks. I think I try it plugging directly into an outlet and it still gives me the error. I'll try it again tonight.
Make sure there is no corrosion on the power cord as well.

Unread 01/24/2020, 01:29 AM   #3385
gw11ucb
Registered Member

Quote:
Make sure there is no corrosion on the power cord as well.
I tried and it didn't work. I even switch out the cord too I think I am out of luck. Thanks for trying to help.

Unread 01/24/2020, 01:33 PM   #3386
jduck
Registered Member

Quote:
I searched but couldn't find anything about it. Is there an easy way to upgrade the pump firmware?

Unread 01/24/2020, 09:55 PM   #3387
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I searched but couldn't find anything about it. Is there an easy way to upgrade the pump firmware?
I think cole-parmer has to do it unfortunately.

Unread 02/03/2020, 12:26 AM   #3388
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Versa is an Excellent Choice for our Reactors!

I got my Versa on Thursday and immediately replaced my Masterflex. It has been running my reactor for 3 days, so far so good.

It feels very well built. Is quiet unless spinning at a fast rate of speed. Overall I think this is an excellent choice for $150. That is the price of a good Masterflex head. I think I should edit the original posts and possibly title to include the Versa, this thread has so much valuable information I would like to keep it going, but, I am excited that we no longer need to search out and navigate the playground that we have been (unless we want to !!).

I have a really good feeling about this pump! Now, we either need to convince Ecotech to make a mount for round tubes with a drip shield or have someone with a 3D printer make them for us!

My old reactor that is getting close to retirement. I've built a new, much larger, reactor for my new system and will be returning the Korallin C1502 to service on the coral QT in the near future. I have another Versa on the way for the Korallin.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 02/03/2020 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 02/03/2020, 06:02 AM   #3389
yellojello
Registered Member

Nice. Seems more reliable than Kamoer. Only thing is that it doesn’t have dedicated buttons or physical control and require the app? Also, regarding use with Apex, you would just control on/off through the power supply?

yellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2020, 08:58 AM   #3390
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

There seems to be a "glitch" with some pumps that leak from fittings.
Echotech has a fix if you contact them.
For the price I would have taken this over my Kamoer, but it is very solid & works just fine so far.

Unread 02/03/2020, 01:03 PM   #3391
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojello View Post
Nice. Seems more reliable than Kamoer. Only thing is that it doesn’t have dedicated buttons or physical control and require the app? Also, regarding use with Apex, you would just control on/off through the power supply?
Yes, app control through Mobius to set it's variables. To control on/off you either use the app or a switched outlet. I personally like no phyiscal buttons. Less chance for water intrusion and less chance for turning it off accidentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
There seems to be a "glitch" with some pumps that leak from fittings.
Echotech has a fix if you contact them.
For the price I would have taken this over my Kamoer, but it is very solid & works just fine so far.
It appears to only have been on a few early pumps and the issue has been corrected. Simple glitch in the push to fit connectors. Out of the 6 people I know who ordered a Versa on 1st availability only one had a leak. Ecotech promptly sent out the replacement tubing set.

Unread 02/03/2020, 05:53 PM   #3392
dadnjesse
Registered Member

Quote:
I got my Versa on Thursday and immediately replaced my Masterflex. It has been running my reactor for 3 days, so far so good.

It feels very well built. Is quiet unless spinning at a fast rate of speed. Overall I think this is an excellent choice for $150. That is the price of a good Masterflex head. I think I should edit the original posts and possibly title to include the Versa, this thread has so much valuable information I would like to keep it going, but, I am excited that we no longer need to search out and navigate the playground that we have been (unless we want to !!).

I have a really good feeling about this pump! Now, we either need to convince Ecotech to make a mount for round tubes with a drip shield or have someone with a 3D printer make them for us!

My old reactor that is getting close to retirement. I've built a new, much larger, reactor for my new system and will be returning the Korallin C1502 to service on the coral QT in the near future. I have another Versa on the way for the Korallin.

So are you recommending this over the Masterflex?

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2020, 05:58 PM   #3393
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:

Their literature does not indicate the motor is suitable for continuous 24/7 use, nor does it mention feeding calcium reactors.

I've pointed this out to vendors who have mentioned this as suitable. But I am deeply skeptical that the motor will last more than a year.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2020, 06:02 PM   #3394
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
So are you recommending this over the Masterflex?
Unless something comes up that makes me think otherwise it appears Ecotech has delivered a great product that will suit our needs. BigBlueTang who was the local reefer who has had the Kamoer since it's debut has already replaced it with a Versa. I do believe they will prove to be more reliable long term.

At the cost of roughly 3 maxijet 1200s this pump puts this setup into the hands of everyone. To get a good used masterflex without a warranty you are looking $500+. With a Versa you get a year warranty and could buy 3 for the same price as the masterflex. Time will tell but Ecotech stands behind their products and has great customer service so I have a good feeling about this one.

Unread 02/03/2020, 06:07 PM   #3395
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
Their literature does not indicate the motor is suitable for continuous 24/7 use, nor does it mention feeding calcium reactors.

I've pointed this out to vendors who have mentioned this as suitable. But I am deeply skeptical that the motor will last more than a year.
It absolutely was designed for continuous duty and is advertised as such.

Go the the section titled "HEAVY-DUTY"
https://ecotechmarine.com/versa

Quote:
Commercial-grade construction using durable ABS plastics and precision gearing make the Versa™ is built to last. Designed to handle long term continuous use applications, time between servicing is greatly extended with the use of laboratory-grade silicone tubing.

Unread 02/03/2020, 06:51 PM   #3396
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
It absolutely was designed for continuous duty and is advertised as such.

Go the the section titled "HEAVY-DUTY"
https://ecotechmarine.com/versa
Interesting. Every website has this sort of language:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ve...cotech-marine/

without mention of continuous use.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2020, 11:57 PM   #3397
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
Interesting. Every website has this sort of language:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ve...cotech-marine/

without mention of continuous use.
Probably just working through literature. Ecotech has really advertised the new pump yet. I mean they still have typos on their site. It appears that they are very busy working on getting Mobius out, which I am also excited about. I have a lot of ecotech equipment... 10 vortechs (soon to be 14), 3 vectras(soon to be 5), and 2 versas (who knows how many I’ll end up with, have 11 masterflex). It will nice to be able to control them. Wish my hydras could talk to it... 14 of those .

I’m sure once the dust settles there will be more uniform information but rest easy, I have been assured the Versa is capable of running a reactor long term.

Unread 02/06/2020, 09:41 PM   #3398
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I purchased a versa as a potential replacement for the venerable MasterFlex. My first versa made a grinding sound and had to be replaced. Second one leaked from the fittings and stopped moving fluid. I returned it. I KNOW the MasterFlex will run and run and run. Perhaps the versa will prove to be resilient and long lasting once the early glitches are worked. I also found möbius not all that easy to work with and instructions are non existent. For now I’m sticking with the MasterFlex and trying not to be distracted by bright shiny objects.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2020, 09:58 PM   #3399
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I purchased a versa as a potential replacement for the venerable MasterFlex. My first versa made a grinding sound and had to be replaced. Second one leaked from the fittings and stopped moving fluid. I returned it. I KNOW the MasterFlex will run and run and run. Perhaps the versa will prove to be resilient and long lasting once the early glitches are worked. I also found möbius not all that easy to work with and instructions are non existent. For now I’m sticking with the MasterFlex and trying not to be distracted by bright shiny objects.
That sucks, some of the early ones leaked, they’ve since corrected the assembly issue and would have shipped you a new set quickly. Anytime you release a new product there are bound to be hiccups. Maybe you can try again down the road.

Unread 02/07/2020, 11:26 AM   #3400
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
That sucks, some of the early ones leaked, they’ve since corrected the assembly issue and would have shipped you a new set quickly. Anytime you release a new product there are bound to be hiccups. Maybe you can try again down the road.
Yes, of course ….. I even alluded to that in my post. I may well eventually use the versa in place of the MF; but I'll wait to see whether any other issues crop up before extolling its virtues as an acceptable replacement.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote