Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 09/12/2019, 12:17 PM   #551
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy85 View Post
Anyone who has the same issue as me with micro bubbles and with a low bio load... ignore the above advice it is incorrect.

After getting a lot of advice from other forums and lfs, I was told it doesn’t matter if the skimmer is oversized... you shouldn’t get Microbubbles...


I have 3 fish currently in my tank with a over sized skimmer and I am no longer getting Microbubbles. I took everything apart and took apart the pump and cleaned it out and finally I no longer have Microbubbles leaking into the tank

I think cleaning the pump solved the problem. Yes the skimmer is foaming but obviously not a big amount due to the low bioload but it is working
Good to hear you got it resolved through cleaning. That said, a lack of dissolved organics can in fact result in microbubbles. This is particularly common when a skimmer is setup in a brand new tank where there is a lack of dissolved organics and something I've experienced in my own new tanks with a wide range of skimmers as well as some tanks that I've installed for others over the years. Either way, I am glad it is working better for you now.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 09:25 AM   #552
kpctoy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 75
Have had my BK mini160 with the RD6 pump for about 3 weeks now. Its not performing as I'd hoped it would in my scenario. I have a few questions please.
I've tried anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 inches of sump depth as well as running the pump from 50% to 75%. The issue is with foam production or the lack thereof. The tank is mature at 2+ years and my prior skimmer pulled plenty of skimmate prior to it being replaced.
I'm sure its a simple adjustment but cant seem to get it right.
The directions say there should be a maximum water level mark on the skimmer body but that doesn't appear to be on mine. I also have an extension on my bubble plate of acrylic that extends up from the plate in a cylinder shape that's about 2-3 inches that doesn't appear anywhere in the images or manual.
I currently have the water level 3/4 of an inch below the collection cup. I do have skimmate but its collecting on the skimmer body and not extending up into the collection cup. I've tried removing the resonator and running just the bare intake in hopes of getting more air but that didnt seem to make much difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!


kpctoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 09:54 AM   #553
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
Have had my BK mini160 with the RD6 pump for about 3 weeks now. Its not performing as I'd hoped it would in my scenario. I have a few questions please.
I've tried anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 inches of sump depth as well as running the pump from 50% to 75%. The issue is with foam production or the lack thereof. The tank is mature at 2+ years and my prior skimmer pulled plenty of skimmate prior to it being replaced.
I'm sure its a simple adjustment but cant seem to get it right.
The directions say there should be a maximum water level mark on the skimmer body but that doesn't appear to be on mine. I also have an extension on my bubble plate of acrylic that extends up from the plate in a cylinder shape that's about 2-3 inches that doesn't appear anywhere in the images or manual.
I currently have the water level 3/4 of an inch below the collection cup. I do have skimmate but its collecting on the skimmer body and not extending up into the collection cup. I've tried removing the resonator and running just the bare intake in hopes of getting more air but that didnt seem to make much difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
The bubble plate extension is the new design.
The high water mark is no longer included on the skimmer bodies. Ideally you’d want the line where bubbles turn to foam to be about an inch below where the cup sits on the body but depending on the load you might need to go higher than that. You just don’t want to go up beyond the bottom of the collection cup unless you don’t mind water seeping out between the cup and body. Particularly if the load is light relative to the skimmer size. How many fish are in the display? As I recall it was around 10 fish? I think the issue is the light load so I’d raise the level up inside the skimmer by closing the wedge pipe a bit more. Get it to the bottom of the cup. That should improve the skimmate production. I would do that with the pump set to about 50% and see how dense the foam looks.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 09:57 AM   #554
kpctoy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 75
10 fish averaging 2"...Water volume is about 140 gallons give or take.
I can try raising the water level until I see foam collecting in the cup.
Can you explain how the speed of the pump affects foam production?


kpctoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 10:06 AM   #555
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
10 fish averaging 2"...Water volume is about 140 gallons give or take.
I can try raising the water level until I see foam collecting in the cup.
Can you explain how the speed of the pump affects foam production?
The air draw and water flow is tied directly to the pump speed. The higher the speed, the greater the flow into the skimmer. You want to use the pump speed to get the most dense foam head possible and use the sump depth of wedge pipe to adjust the level inside the skimmer. The lighter the load, the higher the line where bubbles turn to foam (break line) will need to be inside the skimmer. As you increase the speed, the contact time is reduced and there is a point of diminishing returns in terms of speed as you end up creating turbulence in the skimmer and too many bubbles which can make the foam head unstable due to lots of bubbles bursting at the surface instead of creating nice dense foam. Since very tank is different in terms of load, there is no right speed for the pump. It really boils down to fine tuning the pump speed for your load and finding a setting that results in the thickest foam.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 10:14 AM   #556
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
10 fish averaging 2"...Water volume is about 140 gallons give or take.
I can try raising the water level until I see foam collecting in the cup.
Can you explain how the speed of the pump affects foam production?
Also keep in mind that you need dissolved organics to create good consistent foam. Your load is VERY low and the fish you have aren’t creating that much in the way of dissolved organics even for the 160 sized skimmer. This is one the reason why you will need to raise the level inside the skimmer as you are running it to dry for your load (or lack of). By doing that, you are effectively reducing the total volume needed to fill the neck with foam in order to see skimmate in the cup vs collecting on the sides of the neck and upper body.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 10:28 AM   #557
kpctoy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 75
Very Helpful, Thank you!

I'll try making small adjustments over time and see whats what.

Thanks again for the clear explanations.


kpctoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2019, 10:42 AM   #558
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
Very Helpful, Thank you!

I'll try making small adjustments over time and see whats what.

Thanks again for the clear explanations.
Glad to help.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2019, 01:20 AM   #559
ferntreegully
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
skimmer pump

Hi,
i have a RE double cone 180 and rd3 mini speedy 2000 pump for supermarines 250 + 300 white body red front . I think this must be a past model.
My question , could this pump be not suited in some way to big ? . I have my skimmer in 9.5 -10 .5 deep depending on day of adjusting ,it is set up to skim wet and struggles to push foam over into cup ,pump speed is at 27. I dont get much skimate at all .
so skimmer is too deep pump speed is to high from what i have read here.
tank ; 120 gallon with rock taken out
18 fish 30 inch approx
1 eel s/flake 12 inch approx
sump 3 seperate tanks 90 gallons approx

frank


ferntreegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2019, 08:50 AM   #560
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntreegully View Post
Hi,
i have a RE double cone 180 and rd3 mini speedy 2000 pump for supermarines 250 + 300 white body red front . I think this must be a past model.
My question , could this pump be not suited in some way to big ? . I have my skimmer in 9.5 -10 .5 deep depending on day of adjusting ,it is set up to skim wet and struggles to push foam over into cup ,pump speed is at 27. I dont get much skimate at all .
so skimmer is too deep pump speed is to high from what i have read here.
tank ; 120 gallon with rock taken out
18 fish 30 inch approx
1 eel s/flake 12 inch approx
sump 3 seperate tanks 90 gallons approx

frank
Thatís not really the right pump but I donít think that is the issue. Your fish load is on the light side for that skimmer. I normally would not recommend that skimmer for anything under 130 gallons and at that, it would be a heavy load.

Iíd drop the pump speed to 20w ( I normally recommend 18-24 watts for that skimmer) which will allow for better contact time and set level inside the skimmer using the wedge pipe so the break line which is the line where bubbles turn to foam is set just above where the cup attaches to the body. While you are at it, Iíd make sure the nozzle doesnít have any salt building where the hose connects to the nozzle.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2019, 10:46 PM   #561
ferntreegully
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
thanks,
that pump was available on the spot otherwise had to be shipped in and i could not wait. Tank is 140 gallon Redsea 650 peninsula i just minus the rock but if you think the skimmer is still to big i would like to know cause i will down size if need be. I dont really want to get more fish

Frank


ferntreegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2019, 10:50 PM   #562
ferntreegully
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
sorry forgot ,if i lower pump speed i will have to either close wedge wellabout 3/4 or sink the skimmer in 10- 10.5 in otherwise no skimate in cup

Frank


ferntreegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2019, 09:15 AM   #563
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntreegully View Post
thanks,
that pump was available on the spot otherwise had to be shipped in and i could not wait. Tank is 140 gallon Redsea 650 peninsula i just minus the rock but if you think the skimmer is still to big i would like to know cause i will down size if need be. I dont really want to get more fish

Frank
Skimmer sizing is based on theoretical loads. You could have a 500 gallon tank with 20 fish in it and this skimmer would be oversized. The biggest issue is that the oversized skimmer can be inconsistent due to a lack of enough dissolved organics to keep the neck consistently filled with foam. The dissolved organics is what allows the bubbles to stick together into chains that create the foam. In the absence of enough dissolved organics, you get bubbles instead of foam until the organics build back up enough to generate some foam. Then the organic levels drop again and the skimmer idles along until the build back up. Running wetter helps keep the skimmer more consistent but you end up with a more tea colored skimmate since there is more water in the skim. A Mini 160 would have been a better choice but if you run it wet, I think you will be just fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntreegully View Post
sorry forgot ,if i lower pump speed i will have to either close wedge wellabout 3/4 or sink the skimmer in 10- 10.5 in otherwise no skimate in cup

Frank
Close the wedge or raise the sump level, the choice is yours. Both will accomplish the same thing but raising the sump level will make the wedge pipe less sensitive which in turn makes fine tuning from wet to dry easier.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.