Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:41 PM   #26
Arcar
Registered Member

Im interested in a Coralbox qp-9 do they all make that noise or just defective ones? I would not care for that, I would think my fish as well...

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:52 PM   #27
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Just wondering if anyone has the Coral Box QP-16. Supposed to be very quiet and dependable.
listen when i say this.... I've tried like every single pump out there.... i even had a sicce pump for my return and they're supposed to be quiet (not to me).... these pumps are SOOOO quiet it's ridiculous. and all of my equipment is quiet (besides my reef octopus skimmer haha) i have to look to see if they're on. and when people say (i have to check to see if they're on) they usually have really loud equipment.... my fluval sp4 pumps are also really quiet. ther's no wuuuring sound with these pumps...i have 4 qp-16 pumps

as for reliability, i have no idea, i haven't had them long

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 07:22 PM   #28
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
Im interested in a Coralbox qp-9 do they all make that noise or just defective ones? I would not care for that, I would think my fish as well...
Hey, just to give our perspective: this is the first time we have heard of the issue out of hundreds of units sold- and this particular customer bought 2 pumps. They did not test the second one upon request, nor were they willing to troubleshoot the first pump with the issue. While I understand it is frustrating to receive a defective unit, we always try our best to work out any issues and that requires some cooperation with our valued customers. When this one comes back to us we will do some testing. It is most likely a fluke but if it is a more widespread issue with the 5s we will sort it out asap. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Also- in the video the camera is right up against the glass! Of course you will hear something when you put your ear to the tank- it's a spinning impeller after all. Back up a few feet and the noise should be gone. The whining I have not heard of before- again that will be investigated once we get the chance to test their unit out. I just plugged one in here at our warehouse and did not have any such noise.

Last edited by Reef_Breeders; 12/05/2017 at 07:33 PM.
Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 11:45 PM   #29
kendrid
Registered Member

My CoralBox QP-16, as stated before in this thread, has a whine that is audible. My tank is in my home office where I work 95% of the time:

I purchased it from ReefBreeders and didn't email them because I figured it was normal noise. I'll try to get a video of the noise from where I sit. When concentrating on work I don't hear it because I tune it out but it is there. For a normal tank in a room I doubt most people would notice it.

I've owned a lot of powerheads (Vortech QuietDrive, Maxspect Gyre, Jebao Gyre) and all were nosier than the CoralBox. The only 100% silent pump I've owned was the Jebao RW-15 and 8 but they haven't last long. My RW-15 was replaced by the CoralBox. I still have one RW-8 running and it is dead silent. My other RW-8 failed. They last just over a year for me. My Coralbox was purchased in April of this year and it is still going strong.

Last edited by kendrid; 12/05/2017 at 11:53 PM.
kendrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 10:54 AM   #30
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrid View Post
My CoralBox QP-16, as stated before in this thread, has a whine that is audible. My tank is in my home office where I work 95% of the time:

I purchased it from ReefBreeders and didn't email them because I figured it was normal noise. I'll try to get a video of the noise from where I sit. When concentrating on work I don't hear it because I tune it out but it is there. For a normal tank in a room I doubt most people would notice it.

I've owned a lot of powerheads (Vortech QuietDrive, Maxspect Gyre, Jebao Gyre) and all were nosier than the CoralBox. The only 100% silent pump I've owned was the Jebao RW-15 and 8 but they haven't last long. My RW-15 was replaced by the CoralBox. I still have one RW-8 running and it is dead silent. My other RW-8 failed. They last just over a year for me. My Coralbox was purchased in April of this year and it is still going strong.
Please do! If I can isolate it then we can work with the manufacturer to make these quieter. It may be a bearing or something as simple as that.

And I wish my office was like that! Maybe next year when we move to a bigger warehouse.

Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:13 PM   #31
dz6t
Registered Member

Aquamedic Ecodrift are rebadged Jebao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:14 PM   #32
dz6t
Registered Member

I have two QP-16, they are dead silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 12:29 PM   #33
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
Hey, just to give our perspective: this is the first time we have heard of the issue out of hundreds of units sold- and this particular customer bought 2 pumps. They did not test the second one upon request, nor were they willing to troubleshoot the first pump with the issue. While I understand it is frustrating to receive a defective unit, we always try our best to work out any issues and that requires some cooperation with our valued customers. When this one comes back to us we will do some testing. It is most likely a fluke but if it is a more widespread issue with the 5s we will sort it out asap. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Also- in the video the camera is right up against the glass! Of course you will hear something when you put your ear to the tank- it's a spinning impeller after all. Back up a few feet and the noise should be gone. The whining I have not heard of before- again that will be investigated once we get the chance to test their unit out. I just plugged one in here at our warehouse and did not have any such noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
Please do! If I can isolate it then we can work with the manufacturer to make these quieter. It may be a bearing or something as simple as that.
Hello,

This is not intended to bash Reefbreeders, I only wanted to display the noise coming from the new pump.

This weekend, I did unbox the 2nd QP-5 pump on camera, as well as compare it to the 1st QP-5.

Your customer service is great. I am very satisfied with the controller, but the noise displayed on both pumps was present.

Sorry for not opening both pumps in the beginning.
I did not want to make a project out of it. I guessed both were going to have the same result.

Both pumps were purchased at a great sale price for the Black Friday week. I appreciate the discount.

The camera will only pick up what it can as for pitch or high frequency signatures. The human ear in a quiet reading room will hear the pithces quite well in person.
The noise sounds similar to an electronic ballast noise.

I hope the videos I made for you can help Reefbreeders in the future to isolate the high frequency signature that was displayed.

I have created a short version of the QP-5 series test with both pumps.
I also can upload the longer original version of the unboxing of the 2nd QP-5 pump, as well as the test of the two in full length.
The long version is quite boring, but does portray a great amount of information for the ears.

Video search on youtube:
short version - CoralBox QP-5 test of two (2) pumps. Results start 00:38 sec. in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECep...ature=youtu.be

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 02:49 PM   #34
kendrid
Registered Member

I tried making a video of the electric whine mine makes but I was unable to capture it with my phone. It is like what you hear in the YouTube video above. As the pump ramps up and down the pitch of the whine increases and decreases.

Unread 01/04/2018, 10:37 AM   #35
hollback
Team RC Member

I am currently running a PP-15 and RW-15 being controlled with a DYI Apex harness. Last night I noticed my old RW-15 had stopped working. I hooked up my new QP-16 to the harness but it won't work. Does anyone know how to get the Apex harness to work with the QP-16?

Thanks!

Μολὼν λαβέ
"Dressed up like plankton, sucked in by baleen."

Current Tank Info: 40,000 Tablespoons
hollback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 09:05 PM   #36
JZinCO
Registered Member

Hi. Let me say, what I'm about to say is not a bash on Reefbreeders or CoralBox.
--
I just bought a QP-16 and set it up. In some regard, I like that it is a strong pump. In my 125 gallon, I initially turned it on the lowest flow setting. It kicked up so much sand and random detritus that I was able to visually see the gyre it was creating.
That said it was too much! For reference, the product description states the gph ranges from 400- 4000 gph.
The lowest setting was waayy too much. Everything was sideways in my tank. I think the programming in the unit I got was defective. The flow rate was adjustable, it's just that the floor is too high for myself. Just for comparison, I currently run ~2500gph in my 125 gallon so I have a good measure to compare too. Side note: I barely notice my RW-4 push water at 100%.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 09:12 AM   #37
nematode
Registered Member

Are you QP16s still working?

nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 09:14 AM   #38
kendrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematode View Post
Are you QP16s still working?
Working fine.

Unread 07/05/2019, 09:14 AM   #39
nematode
Registered Member

thanks for the quick reply

nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2021, 04:03 PM   #40
triscene
Registered Member

Anyone using QP?
My pump was working, i cleaned it and plugged it back and controlled doesnt light up. Any help how to make it alive?

Odoslané z ANE-LX1 pomocou Tapatalku

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote