Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2009, 09:36 PM   #301
kc350twin
Registered Member

Awesome thanks for the info. The 20 mins I talked to Nick I learned a bunch and Dr Mac is always so laid back and helpful.

I hope to see your tank soon.

Unread 02/10/2010, 03:34 PM   #302
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Los,
Did you have any updates regarding the nudibranches? I think I have some on my montis.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2010, 04:38 PM   #303
Los
Registered Member

Chris, I'm sorry to say that I had to throw everything away that was in my QT. I bought a bunch of stuff at MACNA, including some really gorgeous LPS, and because of the "infected" montis, I ended up ditching everything. It is truly amazing how hard it is to get rid of the little buggers. I'd think I was all clear and a couple weeks later, there they were again. Good luck.

You may want to try a wrasse. The Yellow Coris or a Radiant Wrasses are supposed to be good at eating them. The problem with biological control is you'll then need to be be 110% certain that they are truly eliminated before ever trading corals. Personally, I don't think I could take the chance.

Again, good luck. I feel for you!

Los

.\ ~ / The Big Mo' - in honor of Trey and Matt

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 03:51 PM   #304
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

I had the pleasure of seeing this system in person. Here are some pictures that weren't washed out or blurry.

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Current Tank Info: None Currently
RocketEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 03:54 PM   #305
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Unread 04/10/2010, 03:55 PM   #306
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

Unread 04/10/2010, 04:08 PM   #307
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

SO, aside from just the eye candy there are some really cool things about this system.
-First, it is the divider between the foyer and the living room so this is literally the first thing you see coming in.
-The rose bulb tip anemone in the second picture is one of the splits from the larger of the pair in the ninth that went through the closed loop and survived.
-The clam in the ninth picture is literally imbedded into the rock in front of the anemones.
-Los uses a pegging method that allows for the repositioning of corals with ease. If a coral grows onto the base rock, the pegged piece is removed and a spacer is placed between the base of the coral and the main rock structure. A very simple system that allows the corals to be removed for fragging or moved to prevent chemical warfare.
-The water change system means that in the time I was there, 50 gallons were emptied from the system and replaced with new without any changes to the level in the rest of the system. Since this is one bag of salt, no measuring needed.
-Lots of counter space, a fridge/freezer, and a sink means that anything that needs to be cleaned or stored is right where its needed.

At the end of the day, one of the better designed systems that I have seen.

Unread 04/10/2010, 04:44 PM   #308
Los
Registered Member

Thanks, RocketEngineer. It was a pleasure getting to meet you in person. Enjoy the ACIII Pro!

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Unread 09/02/2010, 05:15 PM   #309
Los
Registered Member

I'm in sunny Orlando at MACNA. If any of you guys are up for meeting in person and grabbing a beer, shoot me a pm.

Cheers!

Unread 09/02/2010, 08:09 PM   #310
Bax
Premium Member

Los!!!

When you get home we need an update!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 08:50 AM   #311
Los
Registered Member

Bax, I'm going to Brazil after MACNA so it will be a couple of weeks, but I'll give an update when I get back.

Unread 01/05/2011, 01:27 PM   #312
michika
red headed step child

How about now?

I found your thread though that DIY Salt Water Mixing Station write up you did. I'm really curious how things have been progressing in your tank.

michika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2014, 11:38 AM   #313
surfrat67
Registered Member

what's the most efficient PVC set up inside the mixing tank to ensure the salt is mixed efficiently

surfrat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2015, 07:37 AM   #314
VanceL
Registered Member

I'm sorry if you've answered this already.... What happens to the water in the mixing tank when the power goes out? Does it hold in or drain to sump?

VanceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2015, 05:02 AM   #315
FishM8
Registered Member

System still on?

Current Tank Info: DT: 200x80x80(cm) + Sump: 130x60x60(cm)
FishM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 05:03 AM   #316
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat67 View Post
what's the most efficient PVC set up inside the mixing tank to ensure the salt is mixed efficiently
Lots of flow. A powerhead mounted inside the container was used for mixing. Pushing a lot of water around in such a small space was how he got the salt to mix properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceL View Post
I'm sorry if you've answered this already.... What happens to the water in the mixing tank when the power goes out? Does it hold in or drain to sump?
The mixing container had a gravity overflow that emptied into the sump. The level of that overflow was how he knew there were 50g in the container to be removed and replaced with one bag of salt. A valve on the inlet would isolate the container and send the extra flow via a bypass to the sump directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishM8 View Post
System still on?
I'm sad to say that the system is no longer running. I contacted Los over the weekend to see about visiting to take more pictures and was informed that the setup has been decommissioned for several years now. I didn't ask for details. I will say that this setup was a real inspiration for me both in how the tank was central to the house and how the tank room made chores very easy to accomplish.

Unread 05/26/2015, 11:52 AM   #317
EagleFF
Registered Member

Very impressive setup Los, I like the fact your circulating 1 of the tanks, and can divert from it while continuing running your system while mixing the next batch after draining old out, I am currently building a 190 gal tank, waiting on my sump from Life Reef , I have been back and forth on how to setup my mixing station, I have no basement, only route I can take is from my garage, I have the pump in figured out, still trying to come up with as close to a match to pump out of sump as I am pumping in, along with ease of controlling both from 1 place. Your setup is very nice, gives me ideas.

EagleFF is offline   Reply With Quote