Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2015, 12:41 PM   #251
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Are you running a herbie with the two 2" drains or will they both be active?
So I spent all this time creating my new schematic and wouldnt you know it, it might change again.

Im working with the company that is creating my sump and we are going back and forth on the different options for drainage and return lines.

As soon as we finalize, I will post pictures. Its going to be epic!

Last edited by Socaltoaz; 05/26/2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 12:50 PM   #252
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
So I spent all this time creating my new schematic and wouldnt you know it, it might change again.

Im working with the company that is creating my sump and we are going back and forth on the different options for drainage and return lines.

As soon as we finalize, I will post pictures. Its going to be epic!
I totally get it. Better to work it all out before everything is glued in and wet! My wife insisted (and I agreed) on no noise. When I tune my drain line right, my tank is almost dead silent. So much so that she nixed the Gyre I bought to play with within an hour of me installing it.

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:08 PM   #253
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I totally get it. Better to work it all out before everything is glued in and wet! My wife insisted (and I agreed) on no noise. When I tune my drain line right, my tank is almost dead silent. So much so that she nixed the Gyre I bought to play with within an hour of me installing it.
No doubt no noise is my goal and the main reason I moved all my filtration to a dedicated fish room. I can totally understand why your wife wants no noise.

The other reason for my dedicated fish room is so that all the mess, smell, clutter that is typically found under a tank wont be visible in our home.

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:13 PM   #254
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

SUMP :

Skimmer:

Media Reactor:

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:26 PM   #255
rickztahone
Registered Member

lol, holy cow that is a beauty! Congrats on getting that bad boy. Just your sump costs more than most people's entired setup.

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2015, 09:29 PM   #256
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
lol, holy cow that is a beauty! Congrats on getting that bad boy. Just your sump costs more than most people's entired setup.
Budget? What budget? :roll face:

Very very excited about the selection of the sump and skimmer. I think I will be very close to my desire for a clean uncluttered fish room.

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:51 PM   #257
acesq
Registered Member

Baller!!! So nice! What model skimmer is it?

Unread 05/27/2015, 09:54 PM   #258
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Bubble King 400 Internal. We debated between the Supermarin 300 and the 500 Internal. One was a wee bit too small, and the other a wee bit too big. The 400 was just right.

Then the 3 bears came home....oh wait- wrong story.

Unread 05/27/2015, 11:47 PM   #259
acesq
Registered Member

. So about those drains? I highly recommend you set it up as a herbie so you can have a silent full siphon and a measure of safety.

Unread 05/27/2015, 11:54 PM   #260
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

So my installer is going to set up the drains. Have to be honest- I've read up on the heroine/bean animal. I'm a smart guys- sort of- all that is just not making sense to me. I figure it's better to have experts on your team and tell them to set it up as a Bernie. (Whatever that is). ��

Unread 05/28/2015, 12:03 AM   #261
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here is a good read on the Herbie. I knew this but didn't know what it was called:

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/

Makes sense

Unread 05/28/2015, 02:17 AM   #262
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Quote:
SUMP :

Skimmer:

Media Reactor:

Hello

This are pictures of my Dreambox but I just heard you want to get the same. Good choose.

You will find more pictures here

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...3905811&type=3

Made in Germany

Greetings Torben

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 05:12 AM   #263
CuzzA
Registered Member

Socaltoaz,

Sump looks awesome and I'm sure that skimmer is going to perform excellent. As far as the drain goes, I'm going to disagree with the "Let the experts choose the drain". I would demand a beananimal. The Herbie drain is a solution for the standard Durso 2 hole reef ready tank you buy off the shelf at your LFS, because those tanks have tempered bottoms the third hole cannot be added. Don't get me wrong, the Herbie works well to convert a Durso to a Herbie, but for a custom tank like this it makes absolutely no sense to setup a Herbie. You're not trying to change a tank from its fixed state. Herbie himself has even stated on here that bean's design is superior. And here's why...

If you set up a Herbie, 1-Full Siphon Drain and 1-Emergency Drain, the water level will fluctuate in the tank, this will cause more water to enter the display and start pushing water over the emergency to the point where you'll have to adjust the gate valve on the full siphon from time to time. So this system will always have to be adjusted, which in my opinion is a pita. Now, some people will run there emergency drain wet. In other words, allow a trickle of water to flow through the emergency to take on the extra water that's sent to the tank. The problem with this is eventually it will become noisy, but even worse, since they're running it wet there's a greater possibility of algae, sponges, snails, etc. entering the emergency drain and increasing the chance of a major flood if the full siphon drain clogs and the emergency was already compromised through the use of the trickle.

Conversely, this does not happen on a beananimal drain. On the beananimal drain you have a full siphon, an open channel and a "DRY" emergency drain. The open channel takes on the trickle to handle the fluctuation of water in the display, but also has an airline trigger that once it's occluded from a clog on the full siphon it will convert to another full siphon. But because it was always a wet drain, there's a higher possibility that it too is compromised and so we now have the dry emergency as our final drop dead last chance to avoid a flood, drain.

The beananimal drain is silent and ultimately fail safe that does not need to be adjusted from time to time. It's pretty much set it and forget it.

Here's bean's thread. I would do your research on this because it's important and there's no going back and changing it once it's done.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1310585

I'll also add that some people on here will argue, "It's rare for a drain to clog, mine has never clogged." This is pure nonsense. That's like saying, "I've never been in a car accident, so I don't need to wear my seatbelt." There's plenty of folks on here that have experienced a clog, in fact some have shared how their bean drain saved them from disaster and others have shared their misfortune.

Last edited by CuzzA; 05/28/2015 at 05:23 AM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 08:31 AM   #264
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
Hello

This are pictures of my Dreambox but I just heard you want to get the same. Good choose.

You will find more pictures here

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?se...3905811&type=3

Made in Germany

Greetings Torben
Greetings Torben. What I posted was what was sent to me by the manufacturer of the sump. Did not mean to imply that is my actual sump. Mine is being fabricated.

Very excited about receiving my sump. Should be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Socaltoaz,

Sump looks awesome and I'm sure that skimmer is going to perform excellent. As far as the drain goes, I'm going to disagree with the "Let the experts choose the drain". I would demand a beananimal. The Herbie drain is a solution for the standard Durso 2 hole reef ready tank you buy off the shelf at your LFS, because those tanks have tempered bottoms the third hole cannot be added. Don't get me wrong, the Herbie works well to convert a Durso to a Herbie, but for a custom tank like this it makes absolutely no sense to setup a Herbie. You're not trying to change a tank from its fixed state. Herbie himself has even stated on here that bean's design is superior. And here's why...

If you set up a Herbie, 1-Full Siphon Drain and 1-Emergency Drain, the water level will fluctuate in the tank, this will cause more water to enter the display and start pushing water over the emergency to the point where you'll have to adjust the gate valve on the full siphon from time to time. So this system will always have to be adjusted, which in my opinion is a pita. Now, some people will run there emergency drain wet. In other words, allow a trickle of water to flow through the emergency to take on the extra water that's sent to the tank. The problem with this is eventually it will become noisy, but even worse, since they're running it wet there's a greater possibility of algae, sponges, snails, etc. entering the emergency drain and increasing the chance of a major flood if the full siphon drain clogs and the emergency was already compromised through the use of the trickle.

Conversely, this does not happen on a beananimal drain. On the beananimal drain you have a full siphon, an open channel and a "DRY" emergency drain. The open channel takes on the trickle to handle the fluctuation of water in the display, but also has an airline trigger that once it's occluded from a clog on the full siphon it will convert to another full siphon. But because it was always a wet drain, there's a higher possibility that it too is compromised and so we now have the dry emergency as our final drop dead last chance to avoid a flood, drain.

The beananimal drain is silent and ultimately fail safe that does not need to be adjusted from time to time. It's pretty much set it and forget it.

Here's bean's thread. I would do your research on this because it's important and there's no going back and changing it once it's done.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1310585

I'll also add that some people on here will argue, "It's rare for a drain to clog, mine has never clogged." This is pure nonsense. That's like saying, "I've never been in a car accident, so I don't need to wear my seatbelt." There's plenty of folks on here that have experienced a clog, in fact some have shared how their bean drain saved them from disaster and others have shared their misfortune.
Scouts honor- I will bone up on the bean animal this weekend. I understood the Herbie. Ill do my homework on the bean and incorporate that into the design. Makes a ton of sense.

Unread 05/28/2015, 09:05 AM   #265
kirkaz
Jade

Got to be the coolest looking sump I recall seeing!!

BTW, had a meeting with the guy that made my tanks yesterday to discuss equipment. He ALWAYS recommends UV, as it removes a type of algae in the water column that Ozone doesn't.....among other benefits. He convinced me to pull my 40 watt out of storage to put on the reef tank.

Hobby experience-since 2001
kirkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 10:01 AM   #266
CuzzA
Registered Member

Indeed a properly sized UV will sterilize free floating algae, excessive and dangerous heterotrophic bacteria and keep many pests and disease from reaching plague populations, while flat out eliminating some. Not all, some.

Through my research there is only one UV manufacturer I would use and that is Emperor Aquatics. In fact I own their 80 Watt High Output UV for my 310 gallon tank. If you haven't made a purchase yet I recommend calling Mike at Emperor and discussing what size UV to match your system. I'll warn you though, these units are huge, but need to be in order to be effective. An undersized UV with the incorrect flow rate is an absolute waste of money and electricity.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 10:13 AM   #267
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
SUMP :
Holy crap...

:throwsblanketovermyuglysump:

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 11:25 AM   #268
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Socaltoaz, I haven't completely read this thread of yours. Are you going to have a fish room (which is also called a sump room)?

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 11:29 AM   #269
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowildpaul View Post
Socaltoaz, I haven't completely read this thread of yours. Are you going to have a fish room (which is also called a sump room)?
Yup:

Unread 05/28/2015, 11:40 AM   #270
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Really really really awesome sump.

Unread 05/28/2015, 11:41 AM   #271
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Yup:

OK, so it has enough room for a tall skimmer. I read one blog outside of RC. I forgot the name of the author. Nevertheless, he pointed out that a taller skimmer has the longer contact which is better so why didn't you get the tall external skimmer instead of the short and wide internal skimmer that you ordered? Just wondering.

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 11:51 AM   #272
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

The skimmer is integrated into the sump which fulfills the desire to keep everything clean and clutter free. There are a thousand different sumps, 1000 different skimmers, 1000 different powerheads and it will be impossible to justify why one piece of equipment was chosen over another.

At the end of the day, the equipment that is going into the build must fulfill the following criteria:
1- Reputable manufacturer
2- Well regarded brand
3- Esthetically pleasing to the eye

So a tall skimmer would be great but the skimmer Im getting is also great and well regarded.

Ill post more photos in the future as the build progresses.

Unread 05/28/2015, 12:24 PM   #273
zmcclinton63
Registered Member

Looks great!

zmcclinton63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 07:58 PM   #274
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Kabella! That is one beautiful sump. Get your YouTube channel setup, as we're gonna need lots of video clips. Really looking forward to tour of fish room and sump once up and running.... Congrats on a very nice start.... P.S. I go to Scottsdale for Superbowl party at private home annually and the wild bores scare me

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 08:24 PM   #275
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
So my installer is going to set up the drains. Have to be honest- I've read up on the heroine/bean animal. I'm a smart guys- sort of- all that is just not making sense to me. I figure it's better to have experts on your team and tell them to set it up as a Bernie. (Whatever that is). ��
I can't say I have ever read any siphon system named heroine, but I would suggest staying away from it

Just messing with you.

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote