Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

PH question..

The PH in my aquarium is pretty stable at around 7.5-7.7 using a digital measuring device (hanna handheld device - the 100 dollar one not the cheaper one).

Livestock seems to be OK with it but I usually see that a PH of 8.1-8.3 is better for growth and health of the corals. Is there anything I can do to keep it at that level. Been manually dosing with Kents and it will come up but then drop back down. Not sure if it's the tank or environment the tank is in causing this or something else.

I have more kalk on order coming and not sure if that would help as well.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 02:14 PM   #2
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’m following along. I too have below 8.0 ph throughout the day. Not to high jack but have tried co2 scrubber without much effect. Trying to suck outside air in to skimmer. Will reply back if that helps. Good luck!

Unread 04/02/2020, 09:30 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Low pH is always caused by carbon dioxide in the ambient air, assuming that the alkalinity level is okay. Lime, or any high-pH alkalinity supplement, will raise the pH temporarily, but aeration often drives it back down quickly. If the animals are doing well enough, you could just ignore the pH. Otherwise, I'd start by getting second opinions on the alkalinity and pH measurements. Measurement problems are very common.

When was the pH meter last calibrated, and what solutions were used?

Unread 04/03/2020, 02:25 AM   #4
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Low pH is always caused by carbon dioxide in the ambient air, assuming that the alkalinity level is okay.
That is interesting. I have two tanks next to each other. One is over two years and the other one is 4 months old. All of the measurable parameters are about the same, but the Ph is 8.3 vs. 7.7. Is there a chance that more established tank has higher Ph?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 06:31 AM   #5
tom obrecht
Registered Member

So I recalibrated my ph probe and ran an airline to get outside air directly to my skimmer intake yesterday. Almost immediate results! First time since the tank has been running the ph stayed above 8.0 all night! In fact even during the day the tank MIGHT reach 8.0 but it was not a daily event. I feel in my case I have solved the main issue.

Unread 04/03/2020, 05:47 PM   #6
vetteguy53081
Registered Member

Even 7.7 is ok as long as it is stable. Yes growth is slow but tissue and color is maintained through stability.

vetteguy53081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 07:04 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post
Is there a chance that more established tank has higher Ph?
The pH could vary for a number of reasons. The most common issue that I omitted was aeration. It's still very unusual, but a surface film or lack of good flow can cause a lower pH. Another unusual, but possible, issue is measurement problems with pH probes involving electrical interference. That's far less common than cleaning and calibration issues, though.

I should have mentioned aeration the first time. I tend to forget it because it's not very common.

Is the stocking level for fish very different? That can have an impact, when combined with aeration differences.

Unread 04/03/2020, 07:05 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
In fact even during the day the tank MIGHT reach 8.0 but it was not a daily event. I feel in my case I have solved the main issue.
Getting up close to 8.0 is good for a tank in a house with the windows shut. A lot of Tanks of the Month ran at 7.8.

Unread 04/04/2020, 01:20 AM   #9
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post

I should have mentioned aeration the first time. I tend to forget it because it's not very common.

Is the stocking level for fish very different? That can have an impact, when combined with aeration differences.
Ok, now that might make sense. Both tanks have pretty good skimmers, but the higher PH SPS tank (370 L) has much better water flow using two Neptune WAV pumps. The lower PH tank (170 L) has no additional pumps to break the water surface. I will play with it and report back if I do see any significant results.

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2020, 01:59 AM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

I'll be interested in seeing what more flow might do.

Unread 04/04/2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Boochika
Registered Member

I will test the Ph with a red sea titration kit today instead of my handheld device. Should be a good second opinion.

As bertoni suggested I may move one of the power heads higher to the surface to add more circulation and break water tension.

The tank is 2 years old but I moved it 6 months ago.

I'll follow up this evening because I'VE GOT NOTHING ELSE TO DO! (going slightly mad)

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Unread 04/04/2020, 01:27 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

I call ph the brat of the reefing world. It is just going to do what it wants to do and there is very little you can do to change its mind.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Boochika
Registered Member

So I checked it with the red sea kit which is color match and my wife who didn't know the value of my handheld device agreed it looked like a color match for 7.6.

I've moved pwerhead up for more agitation so I'll check it in a few hours to see if there's any change. I'm sure limewater should help this week after my kalk arrives

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/04/2020, 07:41 PM   #14
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochika View Post
I'll follow up this evening because I'VE GOT NOTHING ELSE TO DO! (going slightly mad)
Yes, there's a lot of that these days. Sigh!